What's new

Hello from Stockport, England

Hello everyone, I have recently joined B&B as I have decided to try mastering SR shaving. I purchased my first SR and thought as I’ve bought the soap, brush etc then I may as well purchase a DE safety razor as well as I’m done with cartridges.

So far I’m enjoying the DE more than the SR. Only tried 3 times with the SR and can’t decide if it’s sharp enough or not. I’m enjoying the journey so far though. Spending lots of time reading info on here so will soon be asking some questions.

Welcome my new friend. You say you bought a Straight Razor? Tell us what kind/name. A lot of low-cost razors you can find on the web are what we call RSO (Razor Shaped Objects) and will never shave but look pretty. Then a step up is the China-made ones that will shave after being repaired from bad grinds, then honed properly. Another step up and you get the Dovo. Still never ready to shave with, but at least they don't normally need as much work.

Most vintage razors you can buy are good. They just needed to be fixed up and honed. Unless what you bought came from a person who uses a straight razor to shave with, it will not be shave-ready. Sure they will say it is but...

Stick around and read some more. Show us your gear and we will help you to learn. If you want to stick with the safety razor then that is fine too. A lot of blades to learn about to see what works for you. But keep in mind that IF you do have a good straight razor and it is properly honed, you will need a strop and learn to use it. And it takes 100 shaves with a straight to understand what your doing and to get good shaves. Then after 200 shaves with a straight you will know you didn't know much at 100 shaves. :straight:

Welcome my new friend. You say you bought a Straight Razor? Tell us what kind/name. A lot of low-cost razors you can find on the web are what we call RSO (Razor Shaped Objects) and will never shave but look pretty. Then a step up is the China-made ones that will shave after being repaired from bad grinds, then honed properly. Another step up and you get the Dovo. Still never ready to shave with, but at least they don't normally need as much work.

Most vintage razors you can buy are good. They just needed to be fixed up and honed. Unless what you bought came from a person who uses a straight razor to shave with, it will not be shave-ready. Sure they will say it is but...

Stick around and read some more. Show us your gear and we will help you to learn. If you want to stick with the safety razor then that is fine too. A lot of blades to learn about to see what works for you. But keep in mind that IF you do have a good straight razor and it is properly honed, you will need a strop and learn to use it. And it takes 100 shaves with a straight to understand what you’re idoing and to get good shaves. Then after 200 shaves with a straight you will know you didn't know much at 100 shaves. :straight:

Hello my friend,

I got a TI 5/8 as per the picture. Seems to shave the side of my face no problem but as soon as I get to the chin area it seems to start to drag. It’s could be that I just need to pull it across my face with more force. It could just be me with poor angles etc. Also my foam is probably drying out a bit as I‘m that slow. I also have a good quality Parker Latigo strop but I may be doing more damage than good with that. I wish I knew someone close by that could hold my hand so to speak. I need to feel a truly shave ready razor to know if I have one or not.

I also purchased a Merkur Progress adjustable DE which I love but need to get the SR going as that is what I set out to do.

hope that made sense.

Attachments

• 9ABFB9F9-BDDF-4DA1-8EA7-F75488585BEB.jpeg
    9ABFB9F9-BDDF-4DA1-8EA7-F75488585BEB.jpeg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 14
Hello everyone, I have recently joined B&B as I have decided to try mastering SR shaving. I purchased my first SR and thought as I’ve bought the soap, brush etc then I may as well purchase a DE safety razor as well as I’m done with cartridges.

So far I’m enjoying the DE more than the SR. Only tried 3 times with the SR and can’t decide if it’s sharp enough or not. I’m enjoying the journey so far though. Spending lots of time reading info on here so will soon be asking some questions.
Hello from London @MartyShaves!

You will get all the help you need here, be it from the SR Gents, or in what ever other path you want to explore.

See you around!

You have a decent razor. That is good. I don't like the point on the heal though. That makes me wonder a bit about the guy who honed it for you. If you say it was hand honed by someone then great. But a factory edge would not be great. Also if you are using foam to shave with, file it in the trash can and get some good soap. A great lather from a good soap can make a world of difference when it comes to Straight Razor shaving.
The TI razor is a bit harder steel some say it takes a little more effort when it comes to honing. But this also means it will hold an edge longer. Stropping takes some time to learn and at first, it's not too hard to damage an edge so go slow, and keep the blade flat on the strop. No more pressure than needed to keep it in control at all times. Never pick the razor up off the strop. Meaning when you flip you roll the spine leaving the spine in contact with leather at all times. Lots of info on stropping on the web.

Get in on some posts in the SR area of the forum. Ask questions and we will be happy to help.

You have a decent razor. That is good. I don't like the point on the heal though. That makes me wonder a bit about the guy who honed it for you. If you say it was hand honed by someone then great. But a factory edge would not be great. Also if you are using foam to shave with, file it in the trash can and get some good soap. A great lather from a good soap can make a world of difference when it comes to Straight Razor shaving.
The TI razor is a bit harder steel some say it takes a little more effort when it comes to honing. But this also means it will hold an edge longer. Stropping takes some time to learn and at first, it's not too hard to damage an edge so go slow, and keep the blade flat on the strop. No more pressure than needed to keep it in control at all times. Never pick the razor up off the strop. Meaning when you flip you roll the spine leaving the spine in contact with leather at all times. Lots of info on stropping on the web.

Get in on some posts in the SR area of the forum. Ask questions and we will be happy to help.

Leather Strop paddle

Top Bottom