What's new

Hello from Solingen, Germany

I am living in Solingen, the city of blades, for 12 years and for a while I am interested in straight razors and their manufacturers, especially their history.

My first experience with a straight razor was over 20 years ago. At the Christmas market in Cologne I was able to buy a really nice Puma straight razor and a strop. However, because I had no idea about the subject and the razor was probably not sharp either, my progress remained small and after a few attempts, the knife stayed in a drawer for more than 20 years. 18 months ago, I came on Dovo's website and saw their beautiful straight razors. I immediately caught fire again, sent my Puma to be sharpened and at the same time bought a knife from Ralf Aust. (Ralf's workshop is only 2 streets away from our house.) This time I really wanted to learn it and stuck with it. I found help on shaving forums and YouTube videos. I now shave almost every day with straight razors.

My two straight razors soon had siblings. However, my interest lies in vintage straight razors.

During my researches in razors, I ended up in this forum a few times. Today I decided to register and am looking forward to an exchange with like-minded people.

Another hobby of mine is photography and it's fun to combine the two.

I am pleased to be here.

Great, thanks for joining.
Now you can combine those interests.
Take photos of your razors and post them here. We are all interested in seeing them and adding to our knowledge of razors.
Here you will find many other enthusiasts interested in vintage razors.
Shave on, Bruder. Shave on!

My second and third razors were vintage Solingen razors. I bid on them because I was outbid on a vintage Sheffield, and that bid ended up being withdrawn. I ended up with three razors in the first week.

I now have 7 or 8 Solingen blades and once honed they are all great shavers and take and hold a good edge. Still trying to get a Puma though. My favourite Solingen has to be my pre Dovo Bismarck. I seem to be on a vintage Swedish razor phase at the moment, but that will change again.

How are your straight shaves going?

Welcome! Sounds like you're living at ground zero as far as a lot of shaving enthusiasts are concerned. Lucky you! I made a pilgrimage to Solingen in 2012 and had a nice time there. Be sure to say to hello to the straight-razor crowd here as well.

Hello @PintoPlain,
I now have 7 or 8 Solingen blades and once honed they are all great shavers and take and hold a good edge.
Most of my razors come from Solingen. I totally agree with you about the Solingen blades, almost all of them are very good razors. I will show some of them in the thread "What straight did you use today?" within the next time.
Still trying to get a Puma though. My favourite Solingen has to be my pre Dovo Bismarck.
As written above, my first straight razor was a Puma and I still like the brand. In the meantime I was able to get a few more but it takes luck to get these at a good price if they are in good condition. I don't own a Bismarck.
How are your straight shaves going?
Well, during the last year, I made a lot of progress and got some routine, so that I usually have a close and gentle shave. Of course, there are also days when the result is not satisfactory, mostly when I'm in a hurry and can't take the time I need. But what is "not satisfactory" today would still have passed for a good shave a year ago.

Best wishes from Germany

Welcome to B&B.
I am living in Solingen, the city of blades, for 12 years and for a while I am interested in straight razors and their manufacturers, especially their history.
Do check out the straight razor section in the forum where there is a wealth of information. The section on honing will be particularly relevant for you.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

My first experience with a straight razor was over 20 years ago. At the Christmas market in Cologne I was able to buy a really nice Puma straight razor and a strop. However, because I had no idea about the subject and the razor was probably not sharp either, my progress remained small and after a few attempts, the knife stayed in a drawer for more than 20 years. 18 months ago, I came on Dovo's website and saw their beautiful straight razors. I immediately caught fire again, sent my Puma to be sharpened and at the same time bought a knife from Ralf Aust. (Ralf's workshop is only 2 streets away from our house.) This time I really wanted to learn it and stuck with it. I found help on shaving forums and YouTube videos. I now shave almost every day with straight razors.

My two straight razors soon had siblings. However, my interest lies in vintage straight razors.

During my researches in razors, I ended up in this forum a few times. Today I decided to register and am looking forward to an exchange with like-minded people.

Another hobby of mine is photography and it's fun to combine the two.

I am pleased to be here.

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

@rbscebu should be welcoming you shortly, he's our resident straight razor advocate ;)

Top Bottom