What's new

Hello From SoCal....

Camp Pendleton to be exact. While deployed 3 years ago, I got tired of running out of razors and/or the gel-strip running out on it (i.e. mach 3/fusions), so I switched to a straight razor. My current set up is a
Dovo tortoise shell razor, Truefitt and hill shaving cream, AoS pre-shave oil, and an AoS brush. After searching, I found this site, and saw that there's quite a bit of helpful knowledge on here. I'm glad to be here and hope to contribute where I can.
Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for your service Marine.:thumbup: Welcome. If you haven't, check out Mantic59 on youtube. He's a DE user but has great info on brushes, lathering etc.

Welcome to B&B! Looks like you are just up the road from me. Just remember, I have dibs on all the antique stores this side of town:lol:

Leche, thanks for the warm welcome. I'll definitely check that out. I'm actually thinking about looking into a safety razor, perhaps a Merkur. I shave my head as well, but haven't trusted myself to shave that with the Dovo yet.

Tim, perhaps you can help me in my quest to find a B&M within a 100 mile radius?? I've searched everywhere to no avail!
If you get the antique stores, I get the surfshops and all Mexican restaurants ending it "..ertos", lol.

Another from Southern California. I'm not sure what a B&M is or I'd try to help.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome, Mike!

Thanks for serving...glad you're here!

Glad to be here.

Another from Southern California. I'm not sure what a B&M is or I'd try to help.

Welcome aboard!

Steve, sorry about that. B&M (brick and mortar) is any non-online source. I've tried barber/beauty supplies, pharmacies, supermarkets, and other random places, but no dice. If you know of anywhere in the area and are willing to share, you'd make my day. I'd easily drive to San Diego to pick up some soap and perhaps a new razor. :thumbup:

what is this!!?? a San Diego roll call!!!!! welcome Devildog!! sorry no luck down here. try Bath & Body Works for C.O. Bigelow/Proraso Shave Cream and AS balms. The Body Shop for Maca Root Shave Cream and razor relief. also ...... ask if they have any original formula tubs or tubes in the back. has been discontinued but if you can find it,BUY IT!!!..... great stuff!! there is a Art of Shaving at fashion Valley mall. Crabtree & Evelyn has a store at University Town Center for badger brushes, creams, soaps, and ASB's. .99 cents stores have American Personnas DE blades 5 packs for a buck. try the Platinum's....they shave better than the Stainless. plenty of Antique shops down here........ but...... I've been to most if not ALL of them a few times and in the last 6 months, only had 1 good score!!! RiteAid and CVS for Aqua Velva , Clubman, Skin Bracer, Old Spice, VDH select soap. a great starter DE would be a SuperSpeed. watch the BST or da Bay for some awesome deals! ! I'm a dome shaving too, but I'm am yet to shave with a DE. still use da M3. I use a glycerin bar first and Gillette gel on top of it. great shave!!! enjoy and GO CHARGERS!!!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Steve, sorry about that. B&M (brick and mortar) is any non-online source. I've tried barber/beauty supplies, pharmacies, supermarkets, and other random places, but no dice. If you know of anywhere in the area and are willing to share, you'd make my day. I'd easily drive to San Diego to pick up some soap and perhaps a new razor. :thumbup:

Brick and mortar, don't I feel stupid. It had context and everything but for whatever reason didn't ring the bell.

I think nrek619 hit on pretty much everywhere I've tried. On my "too expensive" side so I can't verify, I've read here that Nordstroms carries Truefitt and Hill products and Neiman Marcus carries Acqua de Palma and a few others. Again, I can't confirm any of this, but everything I read here says it's true.

If you're looking to go North, there's a place in Torrance (about 75 miles) called The Shaver Shop inc, that lists these products on their website: Geo F. Trumper, Concord, Merkur, Col. Ichabod Conk, Billy Jealousy, Edwin Jagger, MaleFace, Head Blade, Razor Guard, Tend Skin, American Safety Razor.

I happen to be in Torrance on Wednesday of next week, so I may have a better report then.

Welcome again and what you can't find locally there are plenty of online stores for! :w00t:

Thanks again for the great info and warm welcome gents.

Cynical-I've purchased some Art of Shaving products from Nordstroms in Escondido, but have yet to try that place in Torrance. I'll give it a whirl one of these weekends. Let me know if you end up going and how good the prices/products are.

Top Bottom