What's new

Hello from Scotland

Hi,

I started de shaving with a cheap shave club razor about 6 months ago and I’m getting more interested lately.

So far I have a Muhle R89 Grande and a Merkur 34c which arrived this morning. I was a bit taken aback by how small the Merkur is in person but gave it a try and I like the weight of it. I kept thinking I was going to drop it but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

I’m a bit worried I’ve developed a new habit as I’m already looking at an Edwin Jagger DE86 L.

Any thoughts/recommendations on gear I should try would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi,

I started de shaving with a cheap shave club razor about 6 months ago and I’m getting more interested lately.

So far I have a Muhle R89 Grande and a Merkur 34c which arrived this morning. I was a bit taken aback by how small the Merkur is in person but gave it a try and I like the weight of it. I kept thinking I was going to drop it but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

I’m a bit worried I’ve developed a new habit as I’m already looking at an Edwin Jagger DE86 L.

Any thoughts/recommendations on gear I should try would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to B&B! You'll surely get plenty of recommendations on new kit here.

You might ask around your circle of older friends and relatives if they have any razors laying about. When I got back into DE shaving I did this and picked up a few nice razors that way. A Gillette Fatboy that belonged to a friend's brother, a Schick injector, and a Gem Contour razor all came my way. I'd also hit the local boot sales. Most vintage Gillette razors made in the UK shave very well. Enjoy your shave journey!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Scotland...beautiful country. Welcome to B&B! And yes, you're not imagining things, you've developed something called R.A.D. or Razor Acquisition Disorder. You'll now continue looking for that one razor that does it the best. Remember, the blade is the other half of that equation...also important.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Welcome aboard!

Since you asked, there is some great kit from the UK! For example, you could look at a Simpsons brush or Mitchell’s Wool Fat soap.

Welcome from another UK member.

The R89 and 34c are very well regarded items, good choices there.

One thing - I think I'm right in thinking that the DE86 and R89 heads are near enough identical so dunno if you think it's worth getting for the different handle...

Yes, I might need to re-think that one. That black handle is nice though!

One thing - I think I'm right in thinking that the DE86 and R89 heads are near enough identical so dunno if you think it's worth getting for the different handle...

Welcome to B&B.
So far I have a Muhle R89 Grande and a Merkur 34c which arrived this morning. I was a bit taken aback by how small the Merkur is in person but gave it a try and I like the weight of it.
They are very similar razors but the 34C is a little more aggressive. I like the balance of the Merkur 34C and the weight is good too.
The DE86 is the same head as the R89 so not something you should consider. I would hold back on buying any more razors till your technique has been established.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you

Correct.. handle can make a lot of difference.

Welcome to the forum, Highlander! Do not worry about thoughts and advises here. Just prepare your wallet and your credit card and soon you will have more thoughts than what you can afford! :lol:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Welcome! Scotland has some real quality shaving heritage -- Castle Forbes makes wonderful (if massively overpriced) creams (best lime you'll ever smell), and the founder of Simpson's Brushes, Alexander Simpson, was a Scotsman (though the company itself was originally in England and is now Manx). I agree with @Marco here -- right now, focus on technique, not gear. Plenty of time to splurge on shave stuff later, no reason to rush it.

Top Bottom