What's new

Hello from perth australia please help

Welcome to B&B!
I'm in WA also and use mensbiz quite a lot, they are awesome guys! and will get your products to you very quickly (and free if you spend $20+)

I've bought Astra's, Polsilvers from them which are both excellent blades, feathers are very sharp blades - they don't carry a huge range, but the ones they do stock are pretty good - I'd skip the derby's and merkur blades and go with the Astra's or perhaps their sample pack - but it's a hit and miss what you get in the sample pack depending on their stock levels. They also always give you a free sample of something, like a cream, skinfood or cleanser etc.

The Shavemac brush is an awesome brush, very luxurious and well made. It will last for many years with careful use. If you are looking to get a hard soap rather than creams, then also look for a boar brush, they are quite a lot cheaper and once broken in are great for hard soaps, semogue or Omega brands would be my suggestion.

Can't say I know anything about stirling soaps, although I see they are a tallow based soap, which usually results in a nice creamy slick lather. If you are uncertain, try a tub of Proraso from mensbiz, they almost always lather great and are well respected here.

I don't have the Futur either, but a lot of people seem to enjoy it and say it gives good shaves, from what I know it is quite 'aggressive' so I suggest starting out with the lowest setting on it, which I think would be a '1' and see how you go. I think it's a reasonably weighty razor, so don't apply any pressure - just let the weight of the razor do the work, concentrate on keeping a nice 25-30 degree angle and you'll be fine.

Search 'Mantic59' or 'geofatboy' on you tube for some great shaving tips and tutorials.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Will just add...don't go into mr shaver in Piccadilly Arcade in the city - you will pay almost double online prices and the guy is rude as. If you order in the morning on mensbiz, it usually ships the same day and is on your doorstep the next (yes even from melbourne - they use an overnight courier)

Hey ESR,

Welcome to the forum.

Mensbiz are really great to deal with, i think they are the best local supplier and id happily recommend then to anyone.

Himage, IMO is not as good as far as communication goes but their prices atm are hard to beat. Their big sale has been going for a couple of weeks now i think so a lot of their products are now sold out but it would be worth your while having a look on their website to see if there is anything you would like as their sale prices right now are the cheapest you'll find anywhere in Australia.

I recently got 200 Feather blades delivered from Mensbiz for $59 iirc when they had them on sale.

Sorry i dont have any experience with shaving soaps, im new to it all but right now im really enjoying the TOBS creams.

The brush you have linked to looks nice, im sure it would be a good quality brush. Personally im a fan of the brushes by Simpson.

Travis.

Seems like all bases have been covered from the fellow Aussies here so I just thought I'd welcome you from Adelaide!

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Nathan @ mensbiz is great to deal with and very helpful if you have any questions.

my recommendation would be to check for a boar brush to start with as you won't know if you like it or not. Look at your local Woolies or Coles, you should be able to find the Palmolive Shave Cream. That's, IMO, the best product price/quality that you can find in Oz. It works well, it's cheap and locally available. I do not know the Stirling soaps.

For the razor, we all have different ideas. I would personally avoid an adjustable razor for a first razor as you will play with it and it adds another variable in the puzzle when something goes wrong. I would recommend a milder razor such as a Gillette Tech or something like that. If you want something new, you can easily get a Merkur HD (34) from mensbiz and many started with those.

Don't forget to buy a razor blade sample pack (not 100 blades of the same brand), not all blades are the same! If you have any questions, don't be shy!

Hi esr1984,
I'm from Perth as well. Can recommend Mensbiz also, you will receive stuff within 3 days max (just received Astra SP 100 pack). Above suggestions about a sample pack are a great idea, I made up my own from whats available from mensbiz. Biggest problem there regarding blades is stuff that is out of stock (& for quite some time) otherwise great to deal with.

Welcome to B&B! and Hello from Melbourne.
Mensbiz is very good to deal with! I frequently order from them and get my shipment the next day! They are full of great advise!

ShaverHut is another one i order from, similar, great service, get my products the next day!

Himage are also good, but as Alpinebully said, lacking customer service, but their prices are great! They have the Futur on special as well and have all types available. They also have the Progress for a great price! Adjustables are great!

Welcome once again!

Top Bottom