What's new

Hello from northern manitoba

Hello all!

Really love the forum and all the research I have been able to do from it. But the problem is, I'm a beginner and I don't know how to sort through it all! Haha so thought it was time to join.
Maybe I can start by getting some advice right here? I have only been using a DE for 4 months now. Started with the full Wilkinson Sword kit. Razor, soap, brush, blades, all of it. It worked well but really sparked an obsession for it. I used to DREAD shaving and would only shave once every two weeks. Now it's every day or two. I started watching SinatraLennon and Kevy on YouTube and after a month I wanted to try more razors. I got the Rockwell 6c and WOW what a difference. I absolutely love that razor. Plate 5 as my daily driver. But now I want more! But there are so many to chose from. So, what do you think is the next slight stage up in aggression? Do I go vintage? A Karve with a C plate perhaps? I just don't know!

Anyways, happy to be here and looking forward to learning from you all.

Cheers

Welcome from a future resident of PEI (hoping to get the last piece of info from immigration to finish my work permit application today).

Great place here.

The Karve is a GREAT razor - and Canadian!

I use plate 3 on my Rockwell and the Karve plate C is only SLIGHTLY more aggressive IMHO. If you are wanting a little more aggressive than the Rockwell on 5 I would consider a higher letter plate on the Karve. Others with more experience may be able to help narrow you in. Or you can buy a few and sell the ones you don't like on the BST or the Bay

Welcome!

Shortest form of advice I can possibly give:

1) Never skip a good face prep
2) Use only the very best soap money can buy (read: Ariana & Evans)
3) Before spending a ton of money on testing DE razors, just jump over to SE razors - far better shave, no hassle. RazoRock Hawk is great starting point at low cost.
4) Get a synthetic brush
5) Use a quality all-in-one aftershave product that contains everything you need - disinfects, calms and moisturize the skin.

You can thank me later 😎

Good luck!

Hello all!

Really love the forum and all the research I have been able to do from it. But the problem is, I'm a beginner and I don't know how to sort through it all! Haha so thought it was time to join.
Maybe I can start by getting some advice right here? I have only been using a DE for 4 months now. Started with the full Wilkinson Sword kit. Razor, soap, brush, blades, all of it. It worked well but really sparked an obsession for it. I used to DREAD shaving and would only shave once every two weeks. Now it's every day or two. I started watching SinatraLennon and Kevy on YouTube and after a month I wanted to try more razors. I got the Rockwell 6c and WOW what a difference. I absolutely love that razor. Plate 5 as my daily driver. But now I want more! But there are so many to chose from. So, what do you think is the next slight stage up in aggression? Do I go vintage? A Karve with a C plate perhaps? I just don't know!

Anyways, happy to be here and looking forward to learning from you all.

Cheers
Welcome to B&B.

The Wiki is a good place to start.

You will hear a lot of advice, but paramount above all other tips is No Pressure.

Welcome, sir! My mother was from Saskatechewan!

My only recommendation to you is, when you apply your soap or cream, wait 2-3 minutes before wielding the razor. Gillette themselves used to counsel this in the little instruction pamphlet that came with their razors. It allows the product to soak into your bristles and soften them even more.

That, and i love my vintage razors, several Gillettes from the '30s to the '60s, and a '70s (?) Hoffritz slant as well. Lots of choices for you out there.

Top Bottom