What's new

Hello from newbie

C

Cordwangler

Hello all.
I recently decided to graduate from a fusion to D/E. I bought an Edwin Jagger razor and a couple of packs of Derby blades. I continued to use the Trumpers rose cream I'd been using with the fusion.
The first week saw my neck being cut to shreds and red with razor burn. I reverted to the fusion, after a week the irritation and razor burn subsided so I decided to give the Edwin Jagger another go. In the meantime I'd ordered a sample pack of blades, I closed my eyes and selected a blade, which turned out to be an Astra, what difference to the Derby, only two minor nicks and next to no irritation.
I wouldn't have believed the difference a blade could make. Can the choice of cream or soap make the same sort of difference? Has anyone got any advice to stop me going back to the fusion as I'm very much undecided whether to persevere with the D/E at the moment?

Welcome to B&B!

Be sure to remember with DEs: No pressure and watch your angle. You can get by with the fusion ignoring these, but cannot with a DE.

Welcome to B&B!!

Everything you use can, and the different combinations of them, will make a difference. However, IMHO, none will make as much difference as the learning process. One thing I learned early on was to go by consensus, not any one opinion. The B&B reviews page is a good place to check out.

My experience was that a better and wetter lather, along with learning "light" meant a lot lighter than I thought, eliminated 100% of my neck irritation. Try some different things, give it some time and later try the Derby's again. I bet your opinion will change somewhat. May never be your favorite, though. Good luck and good shaves! )

More likely to get better results by improving the lather you are getting from your existing soaps than expecting better results from different soaps. That's been my experience, YMMV.

That's not to say I don't like to try with new soaps.

Welcome to B&B, glad to Have you aboard!

With cartridge razors you don't need to worry about cutting angle, but it is all important with DE's! Practice until you find the right angle (which changes with the curves of your facetoo!), and try to shave only WTG until you start getting the hang of it. Make sure your lather is not too dry, needs to be nice and wet to moisturize beard and cushion the face. Don't forget a good shave prep too... Good luck!

Welcome to B&B! The transition to a DE takes some time and practice. I would encourage you to continue to work on your technique and avoiding any pressure when you shave. If you do, I think you will be amazed at how good your shaves can be.

More likely to get better results by improving the lather you are getting from your existing soaps than expecting better results from different soaps. That's been my experience, YMMV.

That's not to say I don't like to try with new soaps.

Welcome and Amen to the above! :shaving:

My Father, a mechanical engineer of the old school (Univ of Iowa, 1900) kept insisting that it was the water, not the soap that did the lubrication for the cutting edge of the razor. The only purpose of the lather is to hold the water onto the beard. After 60+ years of shaving, I have to admit, I am sure he was right!

Top Bottom