What's new

Hello from New Zealand

Checking in from New Zealand. Been shaving DE for 10+ years mainly with Feather blades and Feather handle. Tried straight razor 10+ years ago but just couldn't be bothered. I owned a Dovo special and I also own a Klas Tornblum razor.

A little bit back I decided to give the straight another go. This time I bought a Friodur and vintage H. Birks razor from early 1800s(??) that were properly honed and enjoyed the experience. The Birks is wicked sharp and is easily the sharpest razor I've ever used. The Friodur is 7/8" and the blade is the best ground of my razors by far and the edge retention is excellent compared against the carbon steels I own or have used. The Friodur likewise is about as sharp as the Birks. I can't tell the difference on my face they are so close. I liked the Friodur so much I am getting a NOS Friodor 1/2 and 5/8 to try as well. I like the 7/8, but the 5/8 size is much more maneuverable to me.

Soap is nothing special. Some Col. Conks or Proraso and a silver tip badger brush made in England. I use a antique soap cup I bought at a store for a few bucks to complete the ensemble.

I mainly wanted to get back into straights to allow me to focus in the morning without distractions. I love DE and they have saved me a lot of money over the years vs. cartridges. But the straight gives me a chance to really center myself before I start the day and I enjoy the aspect of honing/stropping the razor.

Once my Friodurs arrive I'll also be getting a Japanese carbon to round out my collection. Although the Friodur is such a good blade I may just have to stick with what is working.

Attachments

• IMG_8531.jpg
    IMG_8531.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8532.jpg
    IMG_8532.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8533.jpg
    IMG_8533.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8534.jpg
    IMG_8534.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your journey so far. Don’t forget to check out the Straight Razor Forum, the guys there would love to hear from you.

Checking in from New Zealand. Been shaving DE for 10+ years mainly with Feather blades and Feather handle. Tried straight razor 10+ years ago but just couldn't be bothered. I owned a Dovo special and I also own a Klas Tornblum razor.

A little bit back I decided to give the straight another go. This time I bought a Friodur and vintage H. Birks razor from early 1800s(??) that were properly honed and enjoyed the experience. The Birks is wicked sharp and is easily the sharpest razor I've ever used. The Friodur is 7/8" and the blade is the best ground of my razors by far and the edge retention is excellent compared against the carbon steels I own or have used. The Friodur likewise is about as sharp as the Birks. I can't tell the difference on my face they are so close. I liked the Friodur so much I am getting a NOS Friodor 1/2 and 5/8 to try as well. I like the 7/8, but the 5/8 size is much more maneuverable to me.

Soap is nothing special. Some Col. Conks or Proraso and a silver tip badger brush made in England. I use a antique soap cup I bought at a store for a few bucks to complete the ensemble.

I mainly wanted to get back into straights to allow me to focus in the morning without distractions. I love DE and they have saved me a lot of money over the years vs. cartridges. But the straight gives me a chance to really center myself before I start the day and I enjoy the aspect of honing/stropping the razor.

Once my Friodurs arrive I'll also be getting a Japanese carbon to round out my collection. Although the Friodur is such a good blade I may just have to stick with what is working.
Welcome from Canada! Ironic that I saw your post. My last name is Birks. My great great grandfather, Henry Birks started a jewellery business in Montreal, Canada in the 1800's. I wonder if the razor was made by him. Do you know its history? Glad its still being used. Steve

Welcome from Canada! Ironic that I saw your post. My last name is Birks. My great great grandfather, Henry Birks started a jewellery business in Montreal, Canada in the 1800's. I wonder if the razor was made by him. Do you know its history? Glad its still being used. Steve

I don't know the history. I'm assuming it ended up down here in NZ as many older razors and tools are from Britain. So my guess is it originated from a maker in Britain. I saw some Birks references to other razors, but it may be a common name. I don't know the history otherwise. The short tang on it makes me think it's early 1800s.

Top Bottom