What's new

Hello from Michigan

Hello everyone I am new to this whole DE shaving thing. I have always been interested in it but thought it was a dying art that was trumped by technology and my only options in this 21st century was either one of those awful disposable razors or one of those electric ones. Since I am new here I have watched a bunch of videos on youtube "Mantic59". Alot have just raised more questions that have confused me much more like what would be a nice starter DE for me. I like WCS because if I order 80 then shipping is free. So I thought what better way to learn something new is to ask the happy people of badger and blade. This is what I was thinking for the other supplies. Again just looking for some nice feedback on a good starter DE razor. I do not have a coarse facial hair just looking for something to have a nice transition into the world of DE shaving :crying:

Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl, Grapefruit
Vulfix 1000A Pure Badger Shaving Brush, Faux Ivory
DE Blade Sampler Pack

Welcome to B&B; enjoy the forum and your shaves. I'd recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89 or a Merkur 34c to begin your journey. All sorts of info on internet and this forum about each razor. They have the reputation as being razors for newbies, but I could shave with either for the rest of my life and be quite content. When you get your gear, focus on beard prep; don't be in a hurry to start slashing whiskers. Learn how to lather, and then work that lather into your face for a good 2-3 minutes. Stirring the lather in the bowl doesn't do a thing for your beard...you need to get that product into your beard to prepare it for cutting. Remember that a light touch is the key to wet shaving. Just barely skim the lather from your face with no pressure at all. Good luck.

Rob welcome to B&B! I was in the same boat as you when I got started and I can tell you that I would HIGHLY recommend the Merkur 34C.

It's the same razor I started with and still use and have never had any problems with the shaves it gives me. Any more I buy a lot of my shaving stuff from merkursafetyrazor.com as they usually have pretty good deals. 34C, a sampler blade pack, cream and brush is all you really need to a shave like never before!

Welcome from another Michigander...... If you feel like driving, there is a quality shop in Adrian called Maggard razors. Brad and Casey run a great shop down there. I like the vintage adjustable razors.

Welcome Rob!! When I first started out I chose the 34C HD and am very glad that I did. I still use it regularly, too!

I think your idea of trying TOBS Grapefruit is an excellent one (I've actually been meaning to try some of it myself... sounds intriguing). TOBS is a great cream that will give you a nice amount of fluffy lather - I regularly use several TOBS creams in my rotation. That being said, TOBS can be slightly challenging at first because if you don't get exactly the right amount of water mixed in, it doesn't give you nearly enough protection from your blade. For a newbie starting out, this might be a problem. Therefore, I'd suggest picking up a tube of Proraso Red as well. I've found that it's virtually impossible to screw up proraso (particularly the red version), therefore while you are first getting used to using your DE razor you can focus more on technique/blade angle and not have cream as another variable. Then, once you are feeling a little more comfortable, whip up a batch of TOBS and give it a try.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to talk you out of the TOBS by any means! I just think that Proraso Red belongs in EVERY beginner's "tool kit" (and in many advanced "tool kits" as well!!).

- Badger Bill

Last edited:
Welcome. I really like the Jagger 89 series.

West Coast Shaving is a great vendor, and they are also a member here at B&B. In fact, they partner with B&B on Omega Essential Badger Brushes. I buy from WCS all the time.

Ask them to draw something on your shipping box. :001_tongu You can find some of the art here. :badger:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Welcome to B&B Rob, from the other side of Oakland County ..

I'd recommend the EJ 89 also, for the generally better finish, but the Merkur HD is a good start as well, if you have to have a new one. Vintage Gillette Superspeeds can be a great starter if you value vintage. The TOBS is great cream and should have you making a pretty good lather straightaway. You might want to consider a couple of the basic Simpson's shaving brushes, or a Vulfix in Super - the pure badger is the scratchiest grade and might not be the best compromise to start. As an alternative, a good boar brush is reasonably priced ..

ZMC Pharmacy on Woodward in Royal Oak had a pretty good selection of shave goods last I was there, and would allow you to at least get an idea.

Thank you everyone for the help in starting out. I have decided to change my brush to a boar instead of badger. Since I am getting into this no need to spend 30 on a brush right out of the gate. Still not to sure which to get a Merkur 34 series or a Jagger 89 series I think I will just let the fate of a coin flip decide my purchase. Thank you again everyone

Last edited:
Welcome from yet another Michigander. I recently started into DE shaving, and love my Merkur 180 (23c).

Top Bottom