What's new

Hello from Metro Detroit

Hi everyone :) I'm from one of the suburbs of Detroit and I'm looking forward to learning from you all. I'm starting somewhat slow but given my history to go into full on idiot-mode with virtually every hobby I've found interesting, I presume the clock is ticking - haha.

I received a Merkur 34C, Astra green blades and a tube of Pacific Shaving Natural creme for Christmas and I seem to be hooked. What used to be a 2 minute deal with a Mach 3 and a regular bar of soap (usually Kirks Castille) has been transformed into one of my favorite parts of the day that I look forward to spending 15 to 20 minutes on. :) So far I've added a Captain's Choice copper bowl, a RazoRock 400/plissoft brush, an Omega Evo brush, as well as soap from Lothur, Stirling, Zingari Man, Proraso and one other I can't recall at the moment. Most recently I added DS Z0 and S9 just to try out something different.... probably not the best buys in the world but that's ok... I'll make plenty of wise and foolish choices along the way. I'm currently experimenting with blades from Feather, Astra (the greens), Gillette yellow, PermaSharp, and a couple others. Feathers in the Merkur seem to be a great match for me.... still playing around with the the DS stuff.

Last edited:
Welcome! I lived near Ann Arbor for a few years in the late aughties and loved it there. Your story is a common one, lots of former cartridge users here, I used Sensor Excel carts for most of 30 years until a few months ago. Sounds like you have a good setup going! Jump into the conversations, there's plenty of wise and friendly folks to enable your new obsession and answer questions.

Welcome to B&B and the rabbit hole. Enjoy your stay here and don’t hesitate to ask questions to get the most out of your new found acquisition disorder!
You’re not far from Adrian, Michigan. You should take a drive there on a nice day to visit Maggards. It’s like the Valhalla of the wet shaving world. If you go it will be safer to not take too much cash or credit cards, just a friendly ⚠️ 😄

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia. Thanks for taking the time to check in and share your story with us.

Seems like you'll fit right in here.

Welcome, from someone who lived in St Clair Shores for 60 years. 🙂

Hello and welcome from a fellow new member! Sounds like you've made some exciting discoveries with your hardware 😃 How has experimenting with the software been going for you?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Welcome to B&B from usually sunny Florida. I'm a newbie here myself and you already have a head start on your shaving journey. I just started Feb. 15.... my first wet shave in ages.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hi everyone :) I'm from one of the suburbs of Detroit and I'm looking forward to learning from you all. I'm starting somewhat slow but given my history to go into full on idiot-mode with virtually every hobby I've found interesting, I presume the clock is ticking - haha.

I received a Merkur 34C, Astra green blades and a tube of Pacific Shaving Natural creme for Christmas and I seem to be hooked. What used to be a 2 minute deal with a Mach 3 and a regular bar of soap (usually Kirks Castille) has been transformed into one of my favorite parts of the day that I look forward to spending 15 to 20 minutes on. :) So far I've added a Captain's Choice copper bowl, a RazoRock 400/plissoft brush, an Omega Evo brush, as well as soap from Lothur, Stirling, Zingari Man, Proraso and one other I can't recall at the moment. Most recently I added DS Z0 and S9 just to try out something different.... probably not the best buys in the world but that's ok... I'll make plenty of wise and foolish choices along the way. I'm currently experimenting with blades from Feather, Astra (the greens), Gillette yellow, PermaSharp, and a couple others. Feathers in the Merkur seem to be a great match for me.... still playing around with the the DS stuff.

Welcome, to Badger & Blade! :)

I think thats funny how you throw moderation out the window, take to the MAX, lets go! HEHE :yesnod: Cue the Jeprody music here for the clock ticking. Can I take whats this safety razor for 200 please? Yes, you can, and thats what you will spend as well. HAHA Yes sir!

Oh man, as so many here have discovered, including myself, cartridge razors are simply a means to an end. A quick shave that won't get you a close shave, a shave that won't last all day, and throw in a little razor burn for good measure. Cause nothing says avoid me, like a good solid red blotchy neck.

I am so happy to hear that you got hooked on DE. For me, DE shaving took what used to be a chore, and made it a pleasure. So much so infact, that its lessened my depression! Nothing like a good DE for a Christmas gift. You can say, Santa can have his cookies and milk, I got my DE.

Feather blades are super sharp, they produce a quality shave on the first shave for me. They produce a fairly quality shave on the 2nd use as well. But by the time the 3rd use, on my course whiskers, the blade is dull, and is more likely to bleed my capillary's then anything else.

The only other blades that I have right now, are the Bic Chrome Platinum blades. Now these blades are not as sharp as Feathers, but here's the thing. The Bic's are almost as sharp as the Feathers, but have stronger edge retention, which is why they still feel just as sharp, after a 2nd shave, as they were on the first shave. Basically, they last longer then Feather's.

Please keep updating the forum with your experiences. You've joined the best shaving forum on the net, and were all a great bunch of enablers here. So, if you need any of us to help enable you to buy anything, just let us know. We will enable you in the way that your question was received. :p

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you’ve got some great kit. The evo is one of my favorites.

Welcome to the forum. Former Michigan resident now living in Florida here. When I was still working full time and much younger (okay, I'm really not that old), we enjoyed the four seasons there. Even did my fair share of Ice-Drink .... I mean Ice-Fishing.

Top Bottom