What's new

Hello From Malaysia

Hi Guys. After almost 20 years of wet shaving using terrible cheap safety razors, I finally got myself an Edwin Jagger DE84 a few months ago. I have now gone from hating my shave, to looking forward to my daily shave. Wet shaving is not popular here in Malaysia and so I had no idea what difference a good safety razor made. I usually use an Astra SP blade along with my EJ and I seem to be using the Arko shaving stick pretty often. No razor burns, no nicks, no irritation!

I have heard so much about the Merkur 34C, unfortunately I can't seem to get one here. I have searched online and they are pretty expensive. Since I already have an EJ that I love and getting another razor is not that urgent, I am fine with getting a used 34C that is still in good condition. If anyone is willing to sell, please do let me know.

Glad to have discovered this site. I have been reading through the posts over the last few months and have learned so much. Glad to be part of this community of wet shavers and I am also trying to convert some guys here in Malaysia as well.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Mast wishes,

Mark

Hi Guys. After almost 20 years of wet shaving using terrible cheap safety razors, I finally got myself an Edwin Jagger DE84 a few months ago. I have now gone from hating my shave, to looking forward to my daily shave. Wet shaving is not popular here in Malaysia and so I had no idea what difference a good safety razor made. I usually use an Astra SP blade along with my EJ and I seem to be using the Arko shaving stick pretty often. No razor burns, no nicks, no irritation!

I have heard so much about the Merkur 34C, unfortunately I can't seem to get one here. I have searched online and they are pretty expensive. Since I already have an EJ that I love and getting another razor is not that urgent, I am fine with getting a used 34C that is still in good condition. If anyone is willing to sell, please do let me know.

Glad to have discovered this site. I have been reading through the posts over the last few months and have learned so much. Glad to be part of this community of wet shavers and I am also trying to convert some guys here in Malaysia as well.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Mast wishes,

Mark

Welcome to B&B Mark.

Im also new to wet shaving and use a 34c. For what its worth (very little knowledge of wet shaving) the Merkur is a fantastic razor. I use a feather blade, only get about 3 shaves out of it but this set up gibes a great shave.

I done a bit of digging before taking the plunge and the majority of advice pointed towards one of these for beginners. I have to say I love it and can see it staying part of my collection even if I do upgrade down the line.

Enjoy the shaving journey!

Welcome to B&B Mark.

Im also new to wet shaving and use a 34c. For what its worth (very little knowledge of wet shaving) the Merkur is a fantastic razor. I use a feather blade, only get about 3 shaves out of it but this set up gibes a great shave.

I done a bit of digging before taking the plunge and the majority of advice pointed towards one of these for beginners. I have to say I love it and can see it staying part of my collection even if I do upgrade down the line.

Enjoy the shaving journey!

Hi Mate

Good to hear from you.

Yeah I have used Feather blades before. Really nice and sharp. But I manage only 3 good shaves with it. After the 3rd shave, it loses some of its smoothness and causes a little irritation around the neck area. But still stays sharp even after 3 shaves.

My go to blades are the Astra SP and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Stainless. Comes in a green pack. I get 4 great shaves with these blades. Not to be confused with the 7 O'clock Permasharp that also comes in a green pack. The Permasharp is pretty bad.

Have a good day.

Mark

Welcome, Mark. There is not a whole lot of difference between that EJ and the 34c, it's mostly a matter of preference. You can try putting a blade shim in your EJ to increase the gap a bit if you want. There are several posts here on B&B showing how to do this.

Hi Mark,

I have EJ89 and also Merkur 20c, which has same head as 34c. There really isnt so much difference between the two - the Merkur is very slighlty less agressive and noticably a touch smoother (for me anyway) , but not such a difference to be worth you buying a 34c.

If the EJ89 works well for you, then i would say stick with that.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Mark1977, most Filipinos have a lot of Malay blood in them, so similar facial hair growth. I find that the easiest way to introduce my friends to wet shaving is to give them a Ming Shi 2000S razor ($10) that comes with a puck of their blades, a cheap synthetic brush ($2) and a cheap shaving soap ($3). All these can be bought on Lazada, Malaysia.

Tell them to start of with the 2000S on number 1 setting and let them progress from there. You may also need to give them some basic instruction.

Once my friends start, they never look back and have something to always remember me by.

Welcome, Mark. There is not a whole lot of difference between that EJ and the 34c, it's mostly a matter of preference. You can try putting a blade shim in your EJ to increase the gap a bit if you want. There are several posts here on B&B showing how to do this.

Thank you. Yeah, based on what I have been reading online, these 2 razors are pretty similar.
Thanks for the info on blade shim. Will check it out.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

I have EJ89 and also Merkur 20c, which has same head as 34c. There really isnt so much difference between the two - the Merkur is very slighlty less agressive and noticably a touch smoother (for me anyway) , but not such a difference to be worth you buying a 34c.

If the EJ89 works well for you, then i would say stick with that.
Thanks mate. Yeah, I am happy with the Edwin Jagger and will continue to use it for many many years to come. Thanks for the advice.
Have a good day.

Mark

@Mark1977, most Filipinos have a lot of Malay blood in them, so similar facial hair growth. I find that the easiest way to introduce my friends to wet shaving is to give them a Ming Shi 2000S razor ($10) that comes with a puck of their blades, a cheap synthetic brush ($2) and a cheap shaving soap ($3). All these can be bought on Lazada, Malaysia.

Tell them to start of with the 2000S on number 1 setting and let them progress from there. You may also need to give them some basic instruction.

Once my friends start, they never look back and have something to always remember me by.
Hello my friend. I travel to the Philippines at least 2 times a year. For business as well as holiday. Love it there.
Yeah I have heard of the razor u mentioned. Never used it though. The one I used previously was even cheaper and always cut me up, no matter what blade I used. Hated shaving until I picked up the Edwin Jagger.
Do keep in touch and maybe meet up during one of my visits to Manila.

Mark

Sounds good. I visit Malaysia about as often as you visit the Philippines. I'm based in Cebu.
That's great. I'm usually in HSBC Bank in Quezon during business trips. I stay in Ortigas during this time.
For holidays, I'm usually in Clark as well as Boracay a lot. I have lots of friends there.
See you soon my friend.

Mark

Hey Mark

Welcome to B & B! I am from Malaysia as well and its great to see a countryman here. I also used to use a EJ DE89 - what a trusty razor and it served me well for years before I dropped it accidentally and the securing central post broke off. The perils of Zamak and the EJ is apparently known for that unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom