What's new

Hello from Lake of Constance, Germany

Hello all!

For about four months I shave with a straight razor Dovo No. 105 and a safety razor Muhle Sophist set in horn. Collector's addiction has already overtaken me: Ordered myself a Wacker straight razor, because old craftsman Mr. Wacker said in a video that a razor is a "mystical tool." The leaflet in German tells that the middle part of the blade is called "Seele", i.e. "soul". Who knows why?
I have a philosophical streak and wish to explore the spiritual side of material things. "Razor" is a technical term in philosophy that refers to a type of analytical thinking; thinking that sharply separates the essential from the inessential. Terms like "razor-sharp thinking" or German "Scharfsinn" which means astuteness (Scharf = sharp, sinn=mind/sense) point to this relationship.

A Japanese proverb (I found it on the net and hope it's true) says: Point your sword against your own ego first.
Hmm, what does that mean? Think about yourself? Know thyself! Is the ouroboros, a serpent biting it's own tail, also a symbol for the straight razor pointing to your own face? Well, I made it one: see attachment with my personalized new straight razor.

And what happens (unconsciously) psychologically or spiritually when we shave? Nothing at all?
What happens to our alertness and attention when we try it the first few times? A lot, right!

I am looking for proverbs and experiences in the direction indicated. I would be grateful for stories and hints.

With kind regards

Reinhold from Germany

Attachments

• Ouroboros Stillleben.jpg
    Ouroboros Stillleben.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B. You should be able to get better replies towards your quest in the straight razor section of B&B.

Willkommen!
I've no doubt you'll enjoy the Wacker. They've been a highly-regarded mark in Germany for over 80 years.
And if you're looking for a spiritual shave, may I suggest Occam's razor?
But be warned, if you do adopt this razor, you will acquire a bad case of Scharfsinn, which if left untreated, will eventually cure you of your Collector's addiction!

And if you're looking for a spiritual shave, may I suggest Occam's razor?
But be warned, if you do adopt this razor, you will acquire a bad case of Scharfsinn, which if left untreated, will eventually cure you of your Collector's addiction!
Oh boy, you are right: Occam's principle of parsimony contradicts the collector's overabundance of razors. But in another sense as our razor shaves away unnessecary beard growth, so our analytical thinking can distinguish right from wrong, can dissect, distiguish and cut away false assumptions or an overabundance of mindless chatter. Here is an Occam qote I like: "Nothing may be assumed without ones own justification, unless it is evident, or known by experience [...]" So let us use our "mental razor", i.e. our own thinking, which hopefully is sharp enough for the epistemological tasks of our time ...

Top Bottom