What's new

Hello From Florida!

Hello all!
I've shaved with an electric razor forever since I was given one by my father when I was like 14. Started with a Norelco rotary to be exact and eventually moved to a Braun foil and then settled with a Panasonic foil. 20+ years later and I still was using one!
One day about a dozen years ago I started to research wet shaving. My interest for wet shaving started because I realized how boring shaving had become. I ended up purchasing a Merkur 34C and used it for a couple of months. Then for some reason (I can't remember why), I went back to my Panasonic electric. Fast forward a few years and I'm once again interested in DE shavers. This time around I've been doing it now for around 3 months and don't plan on ever returning to the electrics. I've been experimenting with a couple of shavers and different blades and have discovered how enjoyable a shave can be and how fun it is to try out different setups. (I'm a daily shaver!)
My original Merkur 34C disappeared somehow (I think when I moved to another city because of work) so I had to buy another razor.
I chose the Merkur 23C due to it's mild shaving characteristics. It's been fantastic as a starter razor! I used it for the first 2 months till I noticed that I was ready for something more aggressive. Next up I received a Parker 97R which is similar to the Merkur 34C but more aggressive.
I love it and I believe that Parker is now making top notch quality razors in that lower price range!
I've ordered 3 more razors that I'm waiting to get delivered:
-Wet shaving Club's The "Winning" razor
-Feather popular (Japanese version getting shipped from Japan)
-RazoRock Lupo aluminum DE.
I'm also considering an adjustable just to try one out. I found a new Merkur Futur at a great price and might order one of those!
I'm sure that this is only the beginning, LOL!!
In terms of blades, I've tried a bunch. I've bought the sampler packs that include Feather, Astra, Personna, Gillette, Voskhod etc..
The one I liked the most from the sampler was the Astra.
But Bic Chrome Platinum blades piqued my interest and I ordered a 10 pack a couple weeks ago.
They are the best blades that I've tried (for me) hands down. So much so that I've since ordered a 100 pack! They are somewhere in between a Feather & Astra in sharpness. They're made in Greece! Absolutely fantastic and strange that they aren't popular from all the reading that I've done here. Highly recommended!
Other than that I yet to get into the soaps, bowls, brushes etc..
I use King of Shaves gel and it seems to work great plus I use different after shaves as well.
I'm certain that I'll be experimenting with other pre & post shave products soon.
Anyways, that's my little intro and I look forward to participating and learning more about everything shave related.
LRod

Last edited:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Hello and welcome. Sounds like you’ve got some great stuff and you are enjoying everything! Proraso has a great preshave and RR soaps are beyond solid and affordable. Brush? Simpson t3 for synthetic and semouge mistura are my top two recommendations even though you didn’t ask 😁
Happy shaves!

Hello all!
I've shaved with an electric razor forever since I was given one by my father when I was like 14. Started with a Norelco rotary to be exact and eventually moved to a Braun foil and then settled with a Panasonic foil. 20+ years later and I still was using one!
One day about a dozen years ago I started to research wet shaving. My interest for wet shaving started because I realized how boring shaving had become. I ended up purchasing a Merkur 34C and used it for a couple of months. Then for some reason (I can't remember why), I went back to my Panasonic electric. Fast forward a few years and I'm once again interested in DE shavers. This time around I've been doing it now for around 3 months and don't plan on ever returning to the electrics. I've been experimenting with a couple of shavers and different blades and have discovered how enjoyable a shave can be and how fun it is to try out different setups. (I'm a daily shaver!)
My original Merkur 34C disappeared somehow (I think when I moved to another city because of work) so I had to buy another razor.
I chose the Merkur 23C due to it's mild shaving characteristics. It's been fantastic as a starter razor! I used it for the first 2 months till I noticed that I was ready for something more aggressive. Next up I received a Parker 97R which is similar to the Merkur 34C but more aggressive.
I love it and I believe that Parker is now making top notch quality razors in that lower price range!
I'm also considering an adjustable just to try one out. I found a new Merkur Futur at a great price and might order one of those!
In terms of blades, I've tried a bunch. I've bought the sampler packs that include Feather, Astra, Personna, Gillette, Voskhod etc..
But Bic Chrome Platinum blades piqued my interest and I ordered a 10 pack a couple weeks ago.
They are the best blades that I've tried (for me) hands down. So much so that I've since ordered a 100 pack! They are somewhere in between a Feather & Astra in sharpness. They're made in Greece! Absolutely fantastic and strange that they aren't popular from all the reading that I've done here. Highly recommended!
I use King of Shaves gel and it seems to work great plus I use different after shaves as well.
I'm certain that I'll be experimenting with other pre & post shave products soon.
Anyways, that's my little intro and I look forward to participating and learning more about everything shave related.
LRod
Welcome to B&B. I’m glad you have discovered the fun and joys that wet shaving can bring you. You’ve easily found your way to the gates to the rabbit hole. If you really want to amp up the fun factor I suggest you dip your toe into the world of straight razor shaving. There is a definite learning curve but once the bug bites you there will be no going back!
Whichever wet shaving path you venture down enjoy your time here.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for checking in with us and sharing your story.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello all!
LRod

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

I started on 2-blade, 3-blade, 5-blade cart razors, then switched to 3-head Norelco electric shaver, then later switched to Panasonic Arc 4 foil shaver. But now, I am a DE shaver, so similar story to yours. If you lost that Merker 34C, you better get right on buying a new one then. LOL! Sorry, didn't mean to make you spend more money, but thats my OCD talking.

WOW dude, talk about taking a deep dive into DE shaving right in the beginning hehe. I am new to DE shaving myself, but it appears from your post, you have more experience then I. But thats great to hear, it just means less chance of knicking yourself with new razors lol. The Merker 34C is perhaps the most popular DE razor sold. It was also the first razor I looked at when choosing my first Razor, but past on it.

Parker makes some good razors, as does Razorock, I considered them. Thats cool you own a Feather! I own the Feather AS-D2 razor, which is the one I settled on, till after many experiences with it, I am no longer settled on HAHA. Looks like you've had a chance to try out many different brand of blades. You are not the first person to say that the Gillette blades are good, makes me want to check those blades out.

I just ordered an adjustable infact, the Rex Ambassador, its like the Ferrari of adjustables I guess you could say. If you have the ability to take pictures, please by all means do, we love pictures here. Again, welcome to Badger & Blade, its really great to have you hear, and I truly hope you enjoy your stay and have lots of fun! 😁

Here is my latest shave den picture. Since I am still new, I don't have a lot of stuff myself, but this is what I got...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just an FYI, a shaving brush and some soap lather on your face, is a world of difference experience, then that of a shave gel. Just the face lathering alone is a zen like experience, even before you bring the razor to your face, highly recommended!

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

I started on 2-blade, 3-blade, 5-blade cart razors, then switched to 3-head Norelco electric shaver, then later switched to Panasonic Arc 4 foil shaver. But now, I am a DE shaver, so similar story to yours. If you lost that Merker 34C, you better get right on buying a new one then. LOL! Sorry, didn't mean to make you spend more money, but thats my OCD talking.

WOW dude, talk about taking a deep dive into DE shaving right in the beginning hehe. I am new to DE shaving myself, but it appears from your post, you have more experience then I. But thats great to hear, it just means less chance of knicking yourself with new razors lol. The Merker 34C is perhaps the most popular DE razor sold. It was also the first razor I looked at when choosing my first Razor, but past on it.

Parker makes some good razors, as does Razorock, I considered them. Thats cool you own a Feather! I own the Feather AS-D2 razor, which is the one I settled on, till after many experiences with it, I am no longer settled on HAHA. Looks like you've had a chance to try out many different brand of blades. You are not the first person to say that the Gillette blades are good, makes me want to check those blades out.

I just ordered an adjustable infact, the Rex Ambassador, its like the Ferrari of adjustables I guess you could say. If you have the ability to take pictures, please by all means do, we love pictures here. Again, welcome to Badger & Blade, its really great to have you hear, and I truly hope you enjoy your stay and have lots of fun! 😁

Here is my latest shave den picture. Since I am still new, I don't have a lot of stuff myself, but this is what I got...

proxy.php

proxy.php

Just an FYI, a shaving brush and some soap lather on your face, is a world of difference experience, then that of a shave gel. Just the face lathering alone is a zen like experience, even before you bring the razor to your face, highly recommended!
Thank you!
Similar stories indeed!
For now I think I'll pass on reacquiring a 34C. The 23C is super mild (which is what I started again with) and I'm using the Parker more because it's more aggressive. I'm assuming that the 34C is similar to the 23C. I remember it that way during the short time that I owned the 34C. And the blades I'm loving are Bic, not Gillette, LOL!!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
welcome to B&B.

I'm also in Florida.

I hope you don't live near the ocean though of Florida, I'd be concerned about the salt in the air corroding your lovely equipment. I've literally seen a persons porch light totally destroyed by corrosion from sea water air, cause he lived in a beach house. 😲

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I hope you don't live near the ocean though of Florida, I'd be concerned about the salt in the air corroding your lovely equipment. I've literally seen a persons porch light totally destroyed by corrosion from sea water air, cause he lived in a beach house. 😲
We're inland about an hour from the gulf and just under 2 hours to the Atlantic.... no salt air here.

Welcome, fellow Floridian! I was mostly a cartridge user for 30 years, but also used gifted electrics for a few of those years, both foil and rotary (also Braun and Norelco iirc).

Top Bottom