What's new

Hello from central Iowa

I actually stumbled on to this board by accident, I was not looking to change my morning routine in anyway. Since I got out of the army about a year ago I stopped shaving to the point where I would use a whal peanut every 2 weeks to trim down the face and cut my hair. While I was in the service I used an electric razor for a quick clean up. After read some forum post and watching "how to shave like grandad" on AoM I decided it was time to try out the DE razors. I think of it as my "pamper time", thus I look forward to it now. I have been doing it about a week and I love it. I purchased a vanderhagen starter kit with a mug badger brush and soap then I grabbed the razor with the guy from pawn stars (I was at Walmart and I figured it was a good place to start) so far no blood but it's still not as clean as i would like. Is there any comments on the chosen equipment that could improve on it? Also I was looking online at soaps, I want something that smells good but isn't crazy overpowering, any thoughts.
Thanks ahead of time

Welcome to B&B!

The gear you have is an adequate starter set. If you want to spend more money you can consider modern or vintage razors. Check out this thread for suggestions on modern razors. Also, check out Garry's Sample Shop for a Vintage Gillette (used) razor.

In regards to soaps, there are a bunch of great vendors out there (e.g., Stirling, Saint Charles Shave, Mike's, Mama Bear's, and a bunch of others). Each offers a wide variety of scents including floral, wood, and citrus smells. You might consider Garry's or Maggard Razors since both offer soap and cream samplers, which is a great way to try several companies and scents without spending a lot of money. Finding what works for you is part of the journey and fun of shaving!

Finally, as a veteran, thank you for serving. Check out the the threads below.

Hi and welcome aboard from another new face. I've only been wet shaving for about six weeks myself. You'll find a lot of help here. I'm getting a selection of Razorock soaps this week and might be able to give you better suggestions to help your search but for now I can only say that the AOS sandalwood cream I have been mostly using so far has a nice scent that seems pretty strong at first but settles nicely.

Is there any comments on the chosen equipment that could improve on it?

Haha, this forum is basically one giant comment of all the equipment out there...

It really depends on what you are looking for. You sound fairly happy with your results so far, so I would suggest not getting any more gear. Use what you've got and focus on technique - technique improvements will help make your experience more enjoyable than more gear. I don't know what came with the Microtouch, but I'm guessing the blades are not anything spectacular, so that's something you might want to try. New blades are something you will need eventually anyway, and they are not a lot of $$.

Welcome to B&B. Glad that you joined us. AS far as good shave artisan shave soaps... I would go with Mike's Natural Soap or Mystic Water Soap, Barrister and Mann, or TIKI Bar Soap.

WARHAWK

I actually stumbled on to this board by accident, I was not looking to change my morning routine in anyway. Since I got out of the army about a year ago I stopped shaving to the point where I would use a whal peanut every 2 weeks to trim down the face and cut my hair. While I was in the service I used an electric razor for a quick clean up. After read some forum post and watching "how to shave like grandad" on AoM I decided it was time to try out the DE razors. I think of it as my "pamper time", thus I look forward to it now. I have been doing it about a week and I love it. I purchased a vanderhagen starter kit with a mug badger brush and soap then I grabbed the razor with the guy from pawn stars (I was at Walmart and I figured it was a good place to start) so far no blood but it's still not as clean as i would like. Is there any comments on the chosen equipment that could improve on it? Also I was looking online at soaps, I want something that smells good but isn't crazy overpowering, any thoughts.
Thanks ahead of time
Thank you for your military service, now if you do upgrade shave gear you will have big improvements.

Haha, this forum is basically one giant comment of all the equipment out there...

It really depends on what you are looking for. You sound fairly happy with your results so far, so I would suggest not getting any more gear. Use what you've got and focus on technique - technique improvements will help make your experience more enjoyable than more gear. I don't know what came with the Microtouch, but I'm guessing the blades are not anything spectacular, so that's something you might want to try. New blades are something you will need eventually anyway, and they are not a lot of $$.

The blades are a stainless "platinum.... I don't know what that means, I a summed they are stainless steel?

Welcome to the B & B forum! Lots of shavers here with years of experience they are willing to share. I know you will enjoy the free exchange of information!

Welcome to B&B, thanks for the report, sounds like you're off to a great start, enjoy the journey!

Lately I quite enjoy my Cella Soap.
It's not overpowering, it's easy to lather, it's tallow-based and very slick and creamy, and pretty cheap, like $10.00 from any of the online vendors for a tub that will last more than a few months.

While you're at it, get yourself a nice blade sampler....

Top Bottom