What's new

Hello forum

I have a quick question. I'm sure I could find it in the search, but I wanted to introduce myself to the forum anyway. I started straight razor shaving about a month ago. My problem is, I'm cutting myself quite a bit. I think part of the problem is my razor.

First off, I'm waiting to get my great grandfathers shaving kit from my dad. But he's kinda pokey so who knows when it will show up. I'm also getting a few vintage razors from ebay to restore.

That being said, when I first decided to start straight razor shaving I went down to a shaving shop and talked to the guy about purchasing a straight razor. He talked me into getting one with disposable blades to see if I liked it first. The blades i'm using are derby and the razor just says pakistan (ugh). The blades seem very dull compared to what i see on the internet with true straight razors. I can't do the hanging hair test with them, even if I swipe quickly. Could this be one reason i'm cutting myself? I'm sure my technique is off too, but the razor feels like it really drags on my skin.

Thanks for any input
Dustin

Legion

Staff member
It's possible, or it could be your technique. I would recommend getting a shave ready regular straight and a strop to find out.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

Derby are not the sharpest blade out there. Having said that, it doesn't mean they aren't for you. I would suggest trying a different brand. I'm guessing you are cutting yourself due to inexperience and pressure. A real shave ready straight razor is much easier to work with IMO.

well, did some more research on technique and tried it again. had my best shave with no cuts. figured out what i was doing wrong. I thought i could get my skin tight enough with just lifting my head for the neck and making faces for the stash. I was wrong. took me some time to find a comfortable position for stretching and shaving, but I went slow and no cuts! also closest shave to date. Still can't wait to get a real straight though.

well, did some more research on technique and tried it again. had my best shave with no cuts. figured out what i was doing wrong. I thought i could get my skin tight enough with just lifting my head for the neck and making faces for the stash. I was wrong. took me some time to find a comfortable position for stretching and shaving, but I went slow and no cuts! also closest shave to date. Still can't wait to get a real straight though.

Congratulations! :thumbup1:

Also, welcome to B&B!

Welcome! Glad to hear you've made a little progress.

FWIIW, I think true straights are more forgiving than the ones that use disposable blades.

Top Bottom