What's new

Hello everyone!

Although I signed up to be a member quite sometime ago this is my first post. I suppose life happened and I never got started the first time. Anyhoo, I got tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money to Gillette for their cartridges and decided to get a DE. I ended up getting a Merkur futur(thinking of getting a 34C too), a Parker badger brush, some TOBS lavender cream. (I have some D.R. Harris on the way). And a simple stand with a small bowl. Yesterday was my first DE shave and although I seemed to get a good lather off the TOBS(I usually use creamo and lather it with my hands a bit and it’s slick as all getout), It felt sticky on my face and the razor didn’t want to glide at all...not entirely sure why. However, even for my first attempt I was the smoothest shave I’ve ever had even though I had the futur set on 1 with a Merkur blade it was closer than any cartridge I’ve used. Hopefully with some guidance from everyone here and learning the proper technique things will be even better. I seem to be cursed though, I have very coarse hair and sensitive skin so my face is a little irritated but the bottom of my neck is on fire. I applied some Thayers toner afterwards and it seems to help but I was wondering if there was anything better or will my neck just eventually get used to a DE shave? Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and I hope everyone on here is doing well.

Regards,
Andy

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Better late than never to check in with us. Jump in and post, we don’t usually bite.

hi,
I myself have just joined today,and have also just started with the good ol open razors,,lol,,,an yup,the price of 5 blades that cannot shave as close as one,that looked after well will shave you forever.I too have sensitive skin m8,,i,m using a Badger hair brush,and a dovo razor,I read that using a straight razor also exfoliates you're face,which sounds about right,as having sensative skin myself,I know i,ve had a damn good shave,as it does make where you,ve shaved a little well,,,scrubbed I think? you know what I mean,but my missus,being into her herbal readies an reiki,told me to put coconut cream on my face after a shave,and seriously,it made a great difference,my face feels great,I have the close shave I was after,so all is good,but if you decide to try cocobnut,make sure you get good quality h
natural coconut oil,it,s worth it,you have my word on that one ma friend.
anyhoo,nice to meet another newbie,stay safe bud,all the best,
derek

... I got tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money to Gillette for their cartridges and decided to get a DE...
Welcome (back) Andy!

I wouldn't be so sure about saving money going this route. It takes a steel discipline to achieve that. If you can stick to 1 razor / 1 brush / 1 soap, then yup, otherwise... well - forget about it.
... I have very coarse hair and sensitive skin ...
Once you hang around these forums long enough, you'll notice that 9 out of 10 guys say they have "coarse beard and sensitive skin", when they start wet-shaving... and a few weeks/months down the road magic happens and all of a sudden you discover that your skin is not all that sensitive, nor your stubble all that coarse after all.

So, bottom-line: focus on your face prep and shaving technique. No pressure and gentle, light touch and you'll be fine.

Welcome (back) Andy!

I wouldn't be so sure about saving money going this route. It takes a steel discipline to achieve that. If you can stick to 1 razor / 1 brush / 1 soap, then yup, otherwise... well - forget about it.

Once you hang around these forums long enough, you'll notice that 9 out of 10 guys say they have "coarse beard and sensitive skin", when they start wet-shaving... and a few weeks/months down the road magic happens and all of a sudden you discover that your skin is not all that sensitive, nor your stubble all that coarse after all.

So, bottom-line: focus on your face prep and shaving technique. No pressure and gentle, light touch and you'll be fine.

Possibly, but my local finish carpenter has me plane wood with my face!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom