What's new

Hello everyone!

Yes I might have to buy a few more septic pencils! ….Maybe a staple gun to stich myself up! Don't like hospitals.;]
It’s not that bad if you proceed slowly and carefully without rushing anything.
Also if you do have a go at it remember to mind your free hand. It’s just as easy to pass your free hand against the edge and slice yourself that way as slicing your face, especially if you have a mental lapse for a second.
Good luck!

It’s not that bad if you proceed slowly and carefully without rushing anything.
Also if you do have a go at it remember to mind your free hand. It’s just as easy to pass your free hand against the edge and slice yourself that way as slicing your face, especially if you have a mental lapse for a second.
Good luck!
Thank you for the advice. Going slow is how I was able to use a safety razor without cutting myself.....at least the first time! Once in awhile I have nicked myself. Mostly weepers. Not so much lately. Do you have any straights that you like that won't set me back to bad? Thanks!

Thank you for the advice. Going slow is how I was able to use a safety razor without cutting myself.....at least the first time! Once in awhile I have nicked myself. Mostly weepers. Not so much lately. Do you have any straights that you like that won't set me back to bad? Thanks!
Check out Griffiths Shaving Goods. Matt usually has a nice assortment of nicely restored vintage razors that will definitely come shave ready and not cost an arm and a leg. You could of course spend more but no need until you’re sure you want to plunge free fall down the rabbit hole.
Or you could buy an inexpensive Gold Dollar razor from a member here which would also come shave ready. The key is getting a shave ready razor for your first attempt so you know what it’s supposed to feel like.if it’s not really shave ready you’ll get turned off to the whole straight razor experience. Remember you’ll need a strop too.

Check out Griffiths Shaving Goods. Matt usually has a nice assortment of nicely restored vintage razors that will definitely come shave ready and not cost an arm and a leg. You could of course spend more but no need until you’re sure you want to plunge free fall down the rabbit hole.
Or you could buy an inexpensive Gold Dollar razor from a member here which would also come shave ready. The key is getting a shave ready razor for your first attempt so you know what it’s supposed to feel like.if it’s not really shave ready you’ll get turned off to the whole straight razor experience. Remember you’ll need a strop too.
Thanks. And have a happy new year!

So this is my first post on B &B. But I have been reading post here for about a year. The same time I got into wet shaving. I want to say thanks to all of you! You guys have helped me a lot with great advice on shaving and products. I also learned a lot from Geofatboy's youtube videos. In case anyone was wondering about my username. Panzermeister is German for tank master. I build scale models of tanks,aircraft, and some sci fi. But tanks are my favorite. I paint them to look real [faded paint,rust,dirt,etc.] I am the greatest modeler in the whole world! My greatness is only exceeded by my sense of humility.;] Just kidding. Anyhow you guys convinced me to try a de razor. I was sick of paying high prices for multi blade razors! And I have a tough beard with sensitive skin. I was still getting razorburn. But the first time I tried wetshaving, I was hooked! Never gonna go back. My first blades no name from CVS. They were crap compared to what I use now[Feather]. But they were much better than The Gillette fushion I was using. Please excuse my spelling. I am not a good speller. A friend gave me a Merkur 42001 that he only used once. It is a nice mild razor. So about a year ago I bought a sample pack of 15 different blades. The Feather is my favorite. But I just ordered a bunch of blades from Try A Blade. These are ones that I have not tried as well as some that I want to try again. Now that my technique is much better partly due to you guys giving such great advice. Feathers cut great but sometimes they are a little harsh for my very sensitive girly skin. So I want to see if I can find the right balance between smoothness and sharpness. I order some Nacets, Red Personnas,Kai, 7 O Clocks,and some others. I will post a future post with my results. I am sorry for such a long post . but I want to add one final thought. I thought you guys were nuts for calling wet shaving a hobby and buying different stuff! It is just shaving for God's sake!....So right now I am looking at my new products that just came today. Some Proraso Red soap, Red preshave cream, and my Vinkings Blade Meiji adjustable razor. My early Christmas gifts for me! Damn! I don't need to shave today. I am going to have to wait until Saturday to try this out. The waiting is killing me! OMG! I have got the sickness. This has become a hobby for me now;] Anyhow goodbye for now. I hope you all have a great shave and a great day!

Welcome Panzermeister.
My father in law flew P-40 Warhawks against Rommel in North Africa and Italy. He spoke of the tanks and German supply convoys.
I also had a neighbor whose dad was a tank driver and fought under Payton’s command. You have a cool hobby.

Welcome Panzermeister.
My father in law flew P-40 Warhawks against Rommel in North Africa and Italy. He spoke of the tanks and German supply convoys.
I also had a neighbor whose dad was a tank driver and fought under Payton’s command. You have a cool hobby.
Thank you sir. Have lots of respect for your father in law and neighbor's dad. The P-40 is one of my favorite planes. It is on my list of future builds. I got back into the hobby in 2019, after being mostly away from modeling since I was 20. Back then I did not even have a airbrush. Now I do. I will post some photos of my work when I figure out how to post photos. Gonna have to use my friend's smart phone. My phone is somewhat dumb!;] I just completed a 1/48 scale B-17 "Memphis Beall" for my brother. It even has bullet holes. I hope you had a happy new year. P.S. I was a tank commander in a battle against the Germans......ok so it was a boardgame called Squad Leader and I was about 14 years old. ;]Gonna go take my meds now.

Thank you sir. Have lots of respect for your father in law and neighbor's dad. The P-40 is one of my favorite planes. It is on my list of future builds. I got back into the hobby in 2019, after being mostly away from modeling since I was 20. Back then I did not even have a airbrush. Now I do. I will post some photos of my work when I figure out how to post photos. Gonna have to use my friend's smart phone. My phone is somewhat dumb!;] I just completed a 1/48 scale B-17 "Memphis Beall" for my brother. It even has bullet holes. I hope you had a happy new year. P.S. I was a tank commander in a battle against the Germans......ok so it was a boardgame called Squad Leader and I was about 14 years old. ;]Gonna go take my meds now.

I’d love to see the pictures.
Dad spent WWII on the island of Tinian in the South Pacific.
He was in the Sixth Bomb Group.
His missions were in the aerial reconnaissance version of the B-17.
Best wishes to you b

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am not sure where you are. If in the US, contact @Slash McCoy. He should be able to set you up with your first economical guaranteed shave-ready straight razor (SR). He is a fountain of knowledge when it comes to SR maintenance, so take his advice. @Tony Miller should be able to set you up with a decent beginner's strop. If it is within your budget, I suggest that you get two SR's and two strops. You WILL cut up your first strop while learning to strop. (I cut up two. Now on my third and it remains blemish free.)

It will take you about 20 to 30 SR shaves to get comfortable with it and about 100 SR shaves to become very proficient. I am approaching 400 SR shaves and still learning and improving my technique with every shave. You will soon be wishing that you had started SR shaving in your teens.

I’d love to see the pictures.
Dad spent WWII on the island of Tinian in the South Pacific.
He was in the Sixth Bomb Group.
His missions were in the aerial reconnaissance version of the B-17.
Best wishes to you b
Thank you. Best wishes to you as well. I will try to post photos soon.

Top Bottom