What's new

Hello everyone, I'm new!

Howdy folks. Last week I finally decided to throw caution to the wind and set myself up for some proper shaving.

I bought an Asylum RX, J&M all-badger brush, a puck of Dr. Harris sandalwood soap, marble shaving bowl and a pack of Feather ProGuard blades. I already have witch hazel to use for aftershave.

I've studied up and can think of nothing undone to ensure my success. I'm off to give it a try now. Here's hoping I don't end up in the hospital.

stuff.png

Shaving with a DE or straight is not nearly as risky as it sounds. You have some great tools and are well prepared for an excellent shave. Welcome to the forums.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Well, I certainly have a ways to go to improve my technique. Three passes and there are very nice areas and others that are no better than I was able to achieve with my Shick cartridge razor. Blood was lost, but not much. No trip to the hospital and the bathroom didn't look like a crime scene. Strangely, the sides of my neck beneath my jaw were the most difficult. I had expected to struggle most with my chin, but that was actually pretty easy.

Anyhow, thanks for the warm welcome and support everyone. This seems like an incredibly friendly community!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
What Mac said! I just had my third go-round tonight and really focused on no pressure. Made a profound diffference for me.
its counterintuitive or at least for me decades of bad habits using carts, especially the excessive pressure

Man, it really is counterintuitive! I mean zero pressure was like my mantra going into it. But still, muscle memory took over and the pressure was back.

Another thing I think I need to really focus on is not revisiting areas before re-lathering. You think "I can tell I missed a little there... I'll just go back and get it." That's when the bleeding really seemed to start.

I'll bring the donuts and beer, but you guys better be OK with Boston Kreme and Blue Moon :001_302:

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, no pressure is the key. I still struggle with it from time to time when I change from a heavy razor to a light razor. You will get there, just be patient and keep us informed.

Man, it really is counterintuitive! I mean zero pressure was like my mantra going into it. But still, muscle memory took over and the pressure was back.

Another thing I think I need to really focus on is not revisiting areas before re-lathering. You think "I can tell I missed a little there... I'll just go back and get it." That's when the bleeding really seemed to start.

I'll bring the donuts and beer, but you guys better be OK with Boston Kreme and Blue Moon :001_302:

Yep, do not go over a spot w/o relathering!

And we are delighted you have joined our merry band.

Top Bottom