What's new

Hello everyone, do you have experience with these razors?

Butterfly vs. 3-piece vs. 2-piece is a preference thing. You can find good razors in each format. Most butterfly-style razors are a bit too bulky IMHO, but there are exceptions.

If you are open to vintage, I think a Schick Krona is right up your alley. An early model Canadian Gillette Tech with the fat handle is a wonderful shaving razor. You can get either one for under $20 if you shop around.

In a new razor, the posts above had made some good suggestions. One I have not seen mentioned is the Merkur 23c. This shaves similarly to most Merkurs with a safety bar. It has a longer handle, which is more like you are used to with cartridge razors. Also, it is a 3-piece, so you can easily change the handle if your preferences change. Pairing the Merkur 23c with a Nacet or Gillette Silver Blue blade works very well, in my experience.

23c.jpg

FWIW ...

The choice of TTO or multi-piece design is purely personal preference. The only way to have a favorite is to try them all. One advantage of multi-piece is that you can get aftermarket handles to "customize" your razor. So pick what appeals and go for it.

It's the same with adjustable razors. Many love the versatility of different settings for different parts of the face/shave. Others find one preferred setting and never change it again. Again, personal preference, only learned through experience.

As for long vs. short handle, I believe that most prefer the short handle unless they have larger hands. The shorter handle often weighs less so it's easier to use "zero pressure" while at the same time the balance is closer to the head which makes it feel like the weight of the razor is at the business end of things to help slice those whiskers. But in the end ... personal preference.

Personally, shaved with the EJ DE89 (short handle) as my only razor for over 5 years. Still have it though I've switchrf to straight razors (SR) and single edge (SE) razors. The DE89 is a great all round razor and I highly recommend it.

Nothing on your list would be a mistake. Best of luck and here's to many happy shaves in your future.

So apparently there is a 3rd option in terms of handle size. Does anyone have both the Edwin Jagger de89 Regular and Short handle that they could take a photo for me? I really don't need a long version but I'm curious about these two.

I watched two different videos where reviewers compared the EJ de89 and the Merkur 34C. While the reviewers said their faces ended up feeling the same in the end, the EJ de89 gave a better experience. But!! they still said they like the Merkur 34C more. I found this weird... So what I'm guessing is that the de89 is like a Lexus and the Merkur is more like owning a Mercedes. While the de89 does everything and in some regards better (in these comparisons) they want to avoid feeling buyers remorse with having paid more or they value the allure of a higher regarded brand more than the experience. I could be wrong but just sort of what I'm picking up on.

So apparently there is a 3rd option in terms of handle size. Does anyone have both the Edwin Jagger de89 Regular and Short handle that they could take a photo for me? I really don't need a long version but I'm curious about these two.

I watched two different videos where reviewers compared the EJ de89 and the Merkur 34C. While the reviewers said their faces ended up feeling the same in the end, the EJ de89 gave a better experience. But!! they still said they like the Merkur 34C more. I found this weird... So what I'm guessing is that the de89 is like a Lexus and the Merkur is more like owning a Mercedes. While the de89 does everything and in some regards better (in these comparisons) they want to avoid feeling buyers remorse with having paid more or they value the allure of a higher regarded brand more than the experience. I could be wrong but just sort of what I'm picking up on.
Muhle R89 and Merkur 34c are quite similar in performance; yet people tend to prefer one or the other. I think the Merkur is more utilitarian, it feels like a good tool. The Muhle R89/EJ DE89 has a finer finish, like a piece of jewelry. I think the Merkur 37c is better than either of them in terms of performance.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome Mushroom! I, like you, started with an inexpensive TTO and that got me hooked. my next razor was a Merkur 34c and that was an improvement. After that I acquired a Muhle r89 and an Edwin Jagger de89. I found both of those to be superior to the Merkur 34c. As others have stated you seem to be on the right track. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the razors you mentioned. So stop and think what's important to you. TTO, 3 or 2 piece, knurling on the handle? For a few bucks more you can get a Rockwell 6c. It shaves fantastically and you have the advantage of several different plates. For about the same price you can pick up a Razorock Game Changer, I often wonder how many people new to DE shaving would end their quest right there had they gone for one out of the gate.

And now I have realized I likely haven't been much help at all. Whatever you choose it will be an improvement over your old cartridges. Once you've decided stick with it for a month and get your technique down. After that...

Welcome to the forum. First of all, I recommend a blade sample and an adjustable razor to every beginner: the Vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable (TTO) or the Merkur Progress. This way you have several razors in one and you know more quickly in which direction the journey should go.

I myself used the DE89 (=R89) for years and then 'came back to the world' with the Slim Adjustable, which I inherited. I wish I had come across an -- not inherited -- adjustable razor earlier.

Welcome to the forum. I started with the Mühle R89 and it is a good razor to start with. They are well made and easy to use. You'll need a proper blade too. Buy a sample pack on ebay or Amazon and test some brands. I personally use ASP green (Astra Superior Platinum) with the Mühle. An adjustable razor is in my opinion not for beginners, because you'll have so much to learn and the varieties in adjustment will not make this easier.

Thanks again for your input and warm welcomes everyone. This forum thus far has certainly been one of the least toxic forums that I have been on in a decade and you should all be proud of that.

Welcome Mushroom! I, like you, started with an inexpensive TTO and that got me hooked. my next razor was a Merkur 34c and that was an improvement. After that I acquired a Muhle r89 and an Edwin Jagger de89. I found both of those to be superior to the Merkur 34c. As others have stated you seem to be on the right track. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the razors you mentioned. So stop and think what's important to you. TTO, 3 or 2 piece, knurling on the handle? For a few bucks more you can get a Rockwell 6c. It shaves fantastically and you have the advantage of several different plates. For about the same price you can pick up a Razorock Game Changer, I often wonder how many people new to DE shaving would end their quest right there had they gone for one out of the gate.

Thanks, I've seen a lot of people talk about the Rockwell 6c. I think for what I'm going after right now it's a little out of my price range. I'm seeing it $25 more than a EJ de89 not sure it would be worth that much more? I could buy a EJ de89 and a retro super speed for the same price. I don't like having a bunch of odds and ends laying around so not sure I'd want all those plates. However, would jump on it most likely if it cost less. I don't know where they are actually manufactured but it would be neat to buy more "local" company. I've never heard of the Razorock Game Changer. Is it an actual Game changer? Why do you like it so much over others?

**Razor Sample Packs**
It seems like everyone around here loves them and I think it's a good idea to figure out which razors I like. There are even a lot of options when it comes to the samplers. Which blades are a must to have included in the sample packs folks? Shark, Feather, Astra, Gillette, etc? Which are the safest bets since I don't want to get 30-100 packs of disappointment. The most dangerous knife to use is a dull knife so I would imagine a quality razor blade for shaving is no exception. Thanks!

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Thanks again for your input and warm welcomes everyone. This forum thus far has certainly been one of the least toxic forums that I have been on in a decade and you should all be proud of that.

Thanks, I've seen a lot of people talk about the Rockwell 6c. I think for what I'm going after right now it's a little out of my price range. I'm seeing it $25 more than a EJ de89 not sure it would be worth that much more? I could buy a EJ de89 and a retro super speed for the same price. I don't like having a bunch of odds and ends laying around so not sure I'd want all those plates. However, would jump on it most likely if it cost less. I don't know where they are actually manufactured but it would be neat to buy more "local" company. I've never heard of the Razorock Game Changer. Is it an actual Game changer? Why do you like it so much over others?

The Rockwell 6C replaced my EJ DE89. The Rockwell is in my opinion a much smoother feeling razor and much better all around. Every once in a while I would use my DE89 and was reminded of just how smooth the Rockwell razor is. I have also purchased the Rockwell 6S after a year of using the 6C. My 8 other razors are now in storage tubs. I have also just ordered the Game changer 0.68-P, and think it will be a nice addition to the 6S.

So just go for the razor you like first, you have to make your own journey through Shaveland. I started with the Mühle R89 and am now using straight razors, you'll never know what you try next, but I know something for sure, razors love their herd and they can't stand to live alone ;-)

My next razor after the Mühle was a FATIP Piccolo and then I started to buy second hand, many good things you get for a small amount of money.

A good blade to start with the EJ or the Merkur are the green Astras. They are sharp and stay sharp for several shaves, you can buy a sample pack at amazon or ebay, but many times there are sample packs that are missing a handful of blades while the others are still there and people just give them away for PP. If you want to have an individual pack go to Wet Shaving – Bolzano, Gillette, Personna Double Edge Razor Blades - https://www.razorbladesclub.com/.

So just go for the razor you like first, you have to make your own journey through Shaveland. I started with the Mühle R89 and am now using straight razors, you'll never know what you try next, but I know something for sure, razors love their herd and they can't stand to live alone ;-)

My next razor after the Mühle was a FATIP Piccolo and then I started to buy second hand, many good things you get for a small amount of money.

A good blade to start with the EJ or the Merkur are the green Astras. They are sharp and stay sharp for several shaves, you can buy a sample pack at amazon or ebay, but many times there are sample packs that are missing a handful of blades while the others are still there and people just give them away for PP. If you want to have an individual pack go to Wet Shaving – Bolzano, Gillette, Personna Double Edge Razor Blades - https://www.razorbladesclub.com/.

That's a cool link, I like that you can customize your own samplers. Thank you.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Welcome to the forum!

I'm in Canada too and wanted to mention that both Maggard in the US and Connaught Shaving in the UK offer a low cost international shipping option to Canada.

Orders to me in Ontario take between 12 and 20 days. I've made several orders from both stores and havent had a single issue.

For blades, you might have a look at Try A Blade.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Mushroom, if you are leaning towards an Edwin Jagger DE89 I can't imagine anyone here would discourage you from pursuing that razor. It is a very solid razor. Mine has the "ivory" handle and I'd be glad to shoot you a pic of it. If you are looking to acquire a vintage Gillette I would say hang back and visit some antique stores and surf eBay. I have bought several flair tips for $5-$10, my Fat Boy was $20 and my slim aristocrat was $25. I have enjoyed browsing/shopping for these razors and I can't imagine not coming across something in due course.

As to blades my experience is that the difference is somewhat negligible, providing you are using a quality blade. I certainly won't discredit more experienced shavers stating they can differentiate between an Astra or a Derby and some of the sharper blades (ie Feather) I would be hesitant to put into a razor that I was unfamiliar with or a razor that is very aggressive. But all that being said you can tell a difference, I have eliminated Shark blades as something I would ever purchase. When I began I put a "watch" on a sampler pack that I saw on eBay. A few days later the seller dropped the price by $1. I ordered it for $3 and it arrived a few days later through the USPS in a first class envelope.

Lastly, what are you using for a brush?

Mushroom, if you are leaning towards an Edwin Jagger DE89 I can't imagine anyone here would discourage you from pursuing that razor. It is a very solid razor. Mine has the "ivory" handle and I'd be glad to shoot you a pic of it. If you are looking to acquire a vintage Gillette I would say hang back and visit some antique stores and surf eBay. I have bought several flair tips for $5-$10, my Fat Boy was $20 and my slim aristocrat was $25. I have enjoyed browsing/shopping for these razors and I can't imagine not coming across something in due course.

As to blades my experience is that the difference is somewhat negligible, providing you are using a quality blade. I certainly won't discredit more experienced shavers stating they can differentiate between an Astra or a Derby and some of the sharper blades (ie Feather) I would be hesitant to put into a razor that I was unfamiliar with or a razor that is very aggressive. But all that being said you can tell a difference, I have eliminated Shark blades as something I would ever purchase. When I began I put a "watch" on a sampler pack that I saw on eBay. A few days later the seller dropped the price by $1. I ordered it for $3 and it arrived a few days later through the USPS in a first class envelope.

Lastly, what are you using for a brush?

Thanks for the response. I’ve read a lot about feather being pretty intense I don’t think I’ll be starting off with one. I was tempted to buy a feather popular razor though since they sound like a good mild starter.

As for the brush I picked up a Semogue 1305 Boar Bristle Brush. Barely fits in the holder I bought thick handle.

I definitely think I’ll be looking at some antique stores. I hope to find a Cdn made Gillette on the cheap just for heritage sake.

I started with DE89 and is a great piece, built like a tank. Some say those are prone to break when droped on the sink, I can vouch it is not true. Head is still going strong, handle has a little ding. Also out of all razors you listed it has the best manufacturing in terms of quality control and finish. It is really a fine engineered tool. It is also really versatile

I just want to give a huge shout out to Chef455 for being a friendly, knowledgeable, and certainly a very generous member of the Badger & Blade community. He reached out to me and generously shipped me out a brand new Muhle R89 razor!! Plus! a few extra goodies. I will certainly cherish this razor, as I learn and grow a collection as many of you have I will return the gesture to the community and pay/pass a razor forward. So thank you Cheff455 for helping me on this journey, you sir are a gentleman.

RazED1.jpg

Top Bottom