What's new

Hello everyone, do you have experience with these razors?

Hello everyone, this is my first post so prepare for some dumb questions. I've done quite a bit of research but I don't know anyone with these razors so I would appreciate your first hand experience.

I've been wanting a Safety Razor for a few years. GF ordered me a butterfly open QShave (Weishi razor) for Christmas. Quality was garbage and trying to deal with the company was a complete migraine. Luckily we were still able to return it through Amazon. So! Here I am. I am never going to buy some Chinese piece of crap again.

I'm in Canada so I am currently looking at buying a new razor from ebay/ Amazon.ca / Fendrihan. Let me know if you know somewhere else. I was considering a Schick Krona or Superspeed/ Fatboy but they are actually fairly pricey for decent condition ones so now I'm looking at new razors now. I don't want to spend a lot of money if I don't end up enjoying using a safety razor. Lets say $40ish CDN.

I'm looking for something mild since I'm new. I don't need a massive razor my hands aren't giant I'm 5'8''. My hair is coarse/thick if that helps?

These are what I am considering from my research: Keep in mind I am VERY OPEN to your opinions if you have experience using these: Parker 99R, Parker 82R, Parker 87r, Edwin Jagger DE89, and Merkur 34 or 38. I don't know much about Edwin Jagger but they look nice.

How are modern butterfly mechanisms? Do they hold the blades in tight? I'm open to both butterfly or multi-piece options.

Thanks in advance everyone!

P.S. Attached the crappy quality of the brand new Qshave razor if anyone wanted to see."Our products are subject to strict quality inspection before shipment."

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 30
Welcome to B&B.

All of the razors you mentioned work fine. Modern TTO or Butterfly razors are fine, too. I don't have any modern TTO razors but the Feather Popular and Parker has a number of highly regarded razors.

Good to know. Do most guys find that over time you graduate to butterfly or 2 or 3 piece razors for your everyday favourites? Curious about average user progression.

Welcome to B&B. Great to have you join us. If you don't have an objection to a used razor, I recommend a Gillette flare tip. I used a super speed, but it was a bit mild. A red tip flare could be a good fit for. A Merkur 34HD is a great new razor, although it is made of zamak instead of brass. I also have an injector razor and find it does an excellent job and is easy to use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For me, it was the opposite. My first razors were a FB and then a Slim and those two were the razors I used for over 50 years. It was only until I joined B&B that I tried two and three piece razors.

Welcome aboard!

Of the razors on your list, I would go for either the Merkur 34C or one of the EJ 89 series. Both are excellent shavers in the mild/moderate range.

In addition, I suggest you purchase a blade sampler or two.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
For me I bought a TTO Fatboy and also a Slim Adjustable as some of my first razors. I soon realised I was not adjusting them and then not using them much at all and so I sold them. I still have a Red Tip TTO and also a Rocket HD, but 2 and 3 piece razors interest me more and are my favourites. I find most TTO razors, even (whisper) Aristocrats a bit dull. Don't tell anyone I said that. 😁

The Merkur 34 and the EJ89 are the most recommended razors here. I will add the Gillette Heritage to the list. It has the same head as the two mentioned, but comes in a nice case. It is available from Amazon.

TTO are nice for quick easy blade change without fumbling around with parts. May not be a problem if you are not cursed with the droppsies as I am. They are however, to me, a bit bulky and awkward. Nothing that cannot be used and even enjoyed. The 2 ad 3 piece razors are "slimmer" and easier to get into tight spots, but....pieces to drop. I have both, enjoy both for different reasons. Pick one. Use it a while. Get caught looking at 15 others and buy them too. It is just how it works......

The Merkur 34 and the EJ89 are the most recommended razors here. I will add the Gillette Heritage to the list. It has the same head as the two mentioned, but comes in a nice case. It is available from Amazon.

The Heritage, that's cool. OOS at Amazon.ca :( What do you mean by it has the same head? As in they are all manufactured by the same people or the opening mechanism is the same?

*Thanks for all the responses everyone, nice to meet all of you.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B! I’ve only been wet shaving for 4 mo, and been on here for a month or so. There’s some great people and a whole lotta knowledge. Enjoy, and good luck on your shaving journey.
i have 3 vintage TTO razors and they work great. I’d suggest that there are very few NEW “quality” TTO razors. I suspect there’s a reason for that...In my limited experience, I’d suggest taking a 2 or 3 piece razor seriously. Particularly with a mild head.
My first was the Merkur traditional 1904 and I found it to be a great beginner razor. The EJ DE89 is probably the most suggested beginner though...
Have Fun!

Attachments

• C051A063-462F-4462-9C78-16B6982354B7.jpeg
    C051A063-462F-4462-9C78-16B6982354B7.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 3
Out of curiosity EJ DE89 short handle or long handle and why?

Also, the Parker 99R every reviewer seems to love this thing. Why opt for the EJ or Merkur instead? Better quality?

Merkur 34c or DE89.

Most people think long handle is better. In the end, most of them return to short handle.

Long handle is for very big hands...

The feather popular mentioned earlier is TTO, seems to be fairly durable (all be it mostly plastic) and delivers fine shaves. It has a long handle that, to me, is just in the way really. I second short handles.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Merkur 34c or DE89.

Most people think long handle is better. In the end, most of them return to short handle.

Long handle is for very big hands...
I have very large hands and hate long handles. 85mm or less is what I prefer.
By the way, I have big feet too (size 14). Lol

Top Bottom