What's new

Hello everybody

I would like to introduce myself, I`m 39 and only recently went to traditional wet shaving. I started with Bic and Gillette disposables in my late teen years it was cheap and not a good shave but it was ok for while, then after a few years I went to Gillette carts 5 blades and it was an ok shave for quite an expensive price. It went on until they showed us "toxic masculinity" ad. And basically said that somehow my shaving brand not only asked for a lot of money just to be able to use their carts they started to mentor me too. Ok so as many I had enough.

Since that day I have decided I will switch to non-gillette everything and realised it is not that simple. They (P&G) own almost everything you can find in EU drugstore. So I went to then quite new Wilkinson "Bulldog" brand only to find out that even Wilkinson is not 100% P&G free. So I checked my options and understood that only traditional wet shaving has an answer. I tried my first only DE's 6 months ago and I'm glad I did. Bc it is much more enjoyable then carts and when my initial purchases will make even (eventually :) theory is it will be cheaper some day too. I use Muhle R89 for daily shaves or every other day shaves. An if I sometimes take more days off shaving then I use Muhle R41.

I've already read a few threads here as visitor and I would like to thank you all because you helped me a lot to prevent many possible mistakes and to improve my technique (still learning of course).
I also learned about soaps, brushes atc.. also about "ZAMAK" (didn't know that word before) and issues which comes with it, so I hope since Muhle improved their razors with brass threads it will last at least 5 years :)

So thank you.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Welcome! And best of luck in your shaving endeavors! Plenty of good information here for sure.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome to Badger and Blade my new friend!

A great place. And anyplace that makes the drudgery of removing hair from one's face a fun experience, well, that is what I call a great place!

Welcome here to B&B. I’m glad you’ve found your time here enjoyable and informative.
If you’re really keen for a new experience then have a go at straight razor shaving! It can be the ultimate experience (or nightmare in the beginning) in removing whiskers.

About SR, I may some day try SR but first I have to be sure with DE shaving. I still nick myself like once in 5 shaves (usually due bad prep).
If you’re really keen for a new experience then have a go at straight razor shaving!

Welcome to B&B.... I'm a newbie as well... March 1st, 2022. There is so much to learn.... and this is the place to do it. ;)
Yep exactly! I like all things that go with it. Soaps, brushes.. even talking about blade quality etc 😀
learning about vintage razors.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I would like to introduce myself, I`m 39 and only recently went to traditional wet shaving. I started with Bic and Gillette disposables in my late teen years it was cheap and not a good shave but it was ok for while, then after a few years I went to Gillette carts 5 blades and it was an ok shave for quite an expensive price. It went on until they showed us "toxic masculinity" ad. And basically said that somehow my shaving brand not only asked for a lot of money just to be able to use their carts they started to mentor me too. Ok so as many I had enough.

Since that day I have decided I will switch to non-gillette everything and realised it is not that simple. They (P&G) own almost everything you can find in EU drugstore. So I went to then quite new Wilkinson "Bulldog" brand only to find out that even Wilkinson is not 100% P&G free. So I checked my options and understood that only traditional wet shaving has an answer. I tried my first only DE's 6 months ago and I'm glad I did. Bc it is much more enjoyable then carts and when my initial purchases will make even (eventually :) theory is it will be cheaper some day too. I use Muhle R89 for daily shaves or every other day shaves. An if I sometimes take more days off shaving then I use Muhle R41.

I've already read a few threads here as visitor and I would like to thank you all because you helped me a lot to prevent many possible mistakes and to improve my technique (still learning of course).
I also learned about soaps, brushes atc.. also about "ZAMAK" (didn't know that word before) and issues which comes with it, so I hope since Muhle improved their razors with brass threads it will last at least 5 years :)

So thank you.

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

WOW, looks like you've had quite the journey! And now that you've joined the DE elite, you will find yourself on a new journey, down the proverbial rabbit hole. Its really a fun place to be, and I truly hope that you have fun.

And there's lots of strange words out there. How about this. Darmark and Gelard, at the ocean, at Tanagra. Trekkies like me out there will remember that line right away. lol

Reactions: jmd

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Thanks! I told myself I wont go to proverbial rabbit hole and only buy 1 maybe 2 razors… well I have 4 now 😁

I know how that goes. I started with one razor, told the forum I wouldn't buy more razors. As soon as the rabbit hole expanded in size and I fell in it, well, it made a liar out of me. And now, I have 3 razors.

Feather AS-D2
Rex Ambassador
Merkur Futur

I heard Merkur Futur is great one. How is Rex Ambassador? Is it mild or rather aggressive?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I heard Merkur Futur is great one. How is Rex Ambassador? Is it mild or rather aggressive?

Both the Rex Ambassador, and the Merkur Futur, are aggressive razors, however they are adjustables. Which means, you can adjust the blade aggression. Its just that they tend to be more aggressive then other adjustables. But thats what I was looking for, because my Feather AS-D2, which is not an adjustable, is far too mild for me, since I have course whiskers and all.

I will say that the Rex Ambassador is higher end in quality, made out of solid 316L stainless steel. Where as the Merkur Futur is not made of stainless steel. Anyways, I got threads on all of these razors. But, if you don't want to spend a lot of money on an adjustable, you could go with the Merkur Futur. If you don't mind paying for high end, go with the Rex Ambassador.

Top Bottom