What's new

Hello can anyone help me identify this Gillette Aristocrat?

Hi guys I've been looking to get an aristocrat. I've heard great things about this razor specifically the ones that are from 1948-1950. I've seen people compare it to a merkur 34c in terms of aggression and comfort but has the advantage of being smoother for it's more rigid blade clamping compared to the merkur. I love the merkur with it's forgiving angle and such but I had to move past it for it's poor blade alignment and tendency to chatter when shaving my coarse hairs. Can anyone help me identify if this is a 1948-1950 aristocrat? And feel free to comment with your experience on this razor and if the comparisons with the merkur are valid. Thanks again for any advice! Pic are below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210928-115034_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210928-115034_eBay.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 26
  • Screenshot_20210928-115018_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210928-115018_eBay.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210928-114958_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210928-114958_eBay.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210928-114939_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210928-114939_eBay.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 23

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
There's lots of guys more experienced with this than me, but one of the respected authorities is Achim aka @mr-razor

His website address is mr-razor - https://mr-razor.com/ and you most likely find what you're looking for under the "one piece solid guard" section. HOWEVER, it appears his website is down at the moment, perhaps getting updated? But I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly.

But yes, I think that is a 48-50 American made aristocrat.

There's lots of guys more experienced with this than me, but one of the respected authorities is Achim aka @mr-razor
Do you own one kf
His website address is mr-razor - https://mr-razor.com/ and you most likely find what you're looking for under the "one piece solid guard" section. HOWEVER, it appears his website is down at the moment, perhaps getting updated? But I'm sure someone else will chime in shortly.

Great thank you!

Thank you! Do you happen to own this razor?

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Oh no problem have been hearing good things about aristocrats. Would you consider the one you had as mild?

I've found that "mild" is quite a subjective term around here. I'd put it somewhere firmly in the middle. Definitely not as aggressive as a Goodwill, but certainly not as mild as a Tech. With the proper blade for you it will treat you right. It's a beautiful, classic razor.

Hi guys I've been looking to get an aristocrat. I've heard great things about this razor specifically the ones that are from 1948-1950. I've seen people compare it to a merkur 34c in terms of aggression and comfort but has the advantage of being smoother for it's more rigid blade clamping compared to the merkur. I love the merkur with it's forgiving angle and such but I had to move past it for it's poor blade alignment and tendency to chatter when shaving my coarse hairs. Can anyone help me identify if this is a 1948-1950 aristocrat? And feel free to comment with your experience on this razor and if the comparisons with the merkur are valid. Thanks again for any advice! Pic are below

Mr-razor once gave this description:

US Aristocrats datering.png

I'm pretty sure the razor you are showing is a 1948-1949 version and most likely came like this:

https://mr-razor.com/Rasierer/One-Piece solid guard bar/1948-1950 Aristocrat U.S.A.jpg

As you can see on the website 'Gillette' "released" this razor a number of times over the years with small differences and lastly introduced as the 'Diplomat'. Some say they all shave different others that there are no differences.

I own multiple of them and would categorise them all as a good middle of the rode razor. It's definitely not agressive, but I think most would agree that it's more efficient than the 34C.

That razor is a great collectors item. I mean: from Gillette, Twist To Open, gold plated, great knurling and good shave. What's not to like 🙂

I don't know where you live, but if you get that razor cleaned/replated you will have a beauty for life!

I hope this helps 👍🏼

Top Bottom