What's new

Hello, another advice needed!

Hello guys,

The advices I received from you guys last month has helped me a lot and I have been enjoying BBS consistently ever since. Thanks for that!

My questions this time around are about how my skin feels after the shave every morning.

(1) I feel that after the shave, my skin especially around my jaw line feels like it has retained heat and feels like the skin is a little bit swollen (although not visually seen). If I shave every 2 days, on the second day the skin feels back to normal.
Is this normal? If I get an after shave splash with alcohol instead of using the balm, do you think it would help?
My shaving process is:
pre-shave lotion, lather with the brush, shave with EJ 3One6 (three paths + clean up), alum block, aftershave balm.

(2) Another concern is that although I do not get weepers nor any visible cuts and no blood seen on my skin after shaves, but when I put on alum block, it stings quite a bit. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.
Bob

First, congratulations on your progress!

My opinion is that neither issue is ‘normal.’

I suggest three things that may help:
1. ’Map’ your beard to understand what you are doing with each pass, especially in the problem areas.
2. Less/no pressure.
3. Maintain an optimal razor angle.

Stick with this and you will get the results you want!

I'm very new to DE shaving as well but in relation to your first question, I found that I wasn't getting on with the shaving cream I was using after about a month of using it - it turns out that my skin reacts to Taylors of Old Bond Street shaving creams.

The reaction gave similar symptoms to those you describe - a feeling of retained heat, very slight tingling especially around the lips and swelling around my face that wasn't really visible - all of which went away the next day if I didn't shave on consecutive days. I changed to MWF and now have no symptoms at all and my face feels great post-shave. I thought I'd try TOBS again last week for a shave to see what happened - same symptoms again, which seems to be conclusive to me. Might be worth considering?

For your second point, I too had the same. As @BigJ mentions above and my experience so far is the same, the pressure of the razor on the skin is so important - try lightening the pressure and the sting from the alum block should reduce. I still get a little sting around my lower neck but I expect that's technique which will improve with time, and I'll try a few different blades as well to see if that helps. But for now, any sting I get is gone in a few seconds which is fine for now.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
It turns out, my skin is sensitive to the scent ingredients in shaving soaps. I learned, early on.... lightly scented or unscented soaps work best for me. My regular soap is Canada Shaving Soap. It seems expensive, at first glance, but they load up the tub to the very top and there is very little water content, so cost per shave makes it economical.

I'm a bowl latherer, so I just scrape some off into my Timeless blue lathering bowl and add some water. I let is soak while I take a shower and it's ready when I'm ready to shave.

That said, the above advice is also excellent. Light pressure. I do get l light stinging when I apply the alum, but I find that pleasant. ;)

Sounds like your skin is irritated either due to your technique, or a possible reaction to the products you are using.

You could try to switch to a mild, unscented soap and see if that helps, but I suspect it may be that you are pressing a bit too hard, or that you are over-shaving (repeated passes and touchup) trying to get a perfect shave.

I've said this often:

Part of my (mostly) successful shaving technique is knowing when to stop shaving. I don't always get a perfect shave, but I always try to stop before I cut or irritate my face.

It turns out, my skin is sensitive to the scent ingredients in shaving soaps. I learned, early on.... lightly scented or unscented soaps work best for me. My regular soap is Canada Shaving Soap. It seems expensive, at first glance, but they load up the tub to the very top and there is very little water content, so cost per shave makes it economical.

I'm a bowl latherer, so I just scrape some off into my Timeless blue lathering bowl and add some water. I let is soak while I take a shower and it's ready when I'm ready to shave.

That said, the above advice is also excellent. Light pressure. I do get l light stinging when I apply the alum, but I find that pleasant. ;)

I was hoping you would reply. I can never remember the mild soaps that work for sensitive skin.

Same for me. In my case, a great way to test out if it was the Shaving soap causing irritation was to try out a bar of Dove Unscented as a face wash/lather. I like it so much, I use it regularly now. ;) There's something kind of zen-like whipping up a big frothy lather of unscented soap for some reason. I guess we're acclimated to the fairly strong scents of Gillette Foamy or Edge Gel from when we first started out shaving. I love the unscented stuff now.

Like @V12Stu above, something in TOBS always made my face tingle and burn. I never figured out what it was, though. I was fine with the Lavender for the most part but the Avocado and Jermyn Street (or something like that) were terrible on my face.

1. ’Map’ your beard to understand what you are doing with each pass, especially in the problem areas.
2. Less/no pressure.

Thanks, I will work on less pressure and more careful on the razor angle.

I'm very new to DE shaving as well but in relation to your first question, I found that I wasn't getting on with the shaving cream I was using after about a month of using it - it turns out that my skin reacts to Taylors of Old Bond Street shaving creams.

The reaction gave similar symptoms to those you describe - a feeling of retained heat, very slight tingling especially around the lips and swelling around my face that wasn't really visible - all of which went away the next day if I didn't shave on consecutive days. I changed to MWF and now have no symptoms at all and my face feels great post-shave. I thought I'd try TOBS again last week for a shave to see what happened - same symptoms again, which seems to be conclusive to me. Might be worth considering?

For your second point, I too had the same. As @BigJ mentions above and my experience so far is the same, the pressure of the razor on the skin is so important - try lightening the pressure and the sting from the alum block should reduce. I still get a little sting around my lower neck but I expect that's technique which will improve with time, and I'll try a few different blades as well to see if that helps. But for now, any sting I get is gone in a few seconds which is fine for now.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Thanks, this is a good point that I hadn't thought about.
I have been using A&E soaps since I bought a few, may be my skin isn't a good fit with these. I have an unscented soap which I haven't used, I will try it and other different brands of soaps and monitor how my skin reacts/feels after each!

Good point! I bought a bunch of A&E and MSC soaps last months and those are all I have been using, both of them have strong scents. My be my skin is sensitive to them as well...I will do some testing. Thanks!

Sounds like your skin is irritated either due to your technique, or a possible reaction to the products you are using.

You could try to switch to a mild, unscented soap and see if that helps, but I suspect it may be that you are pressing a bit too hard, or that you are over-shaving (repeated passes and touchup) trying to get a perfect shave.

I've said this often:

Part of my (mostly) successful shaving technique is knowing when to stop shaving. I don't always get a perfect shave, but I always try to stop before I cut or irritate my face.
Good point and advice!
I have been pretty anal about getting the BBS and go over a lot with razor especially on my touching up step, going over all small areas to make sure I have zero resistance/stubbles, and may be this is irritating my skin even though there is no blood or visible weepers.

Same for me. In my case, a great way to test out if it was the Shaving soap causing irritation was to try out a bar of Dove Unscented as a face wash/lather. I like it so much, I use it regularly now. ;) There's something kind of zen-like whipping up a big frothy lather of unscented soap for some reason. I guess we're acclimated to the fairly strong scents of Gillette Foamy or Edge Gel from when we first started out shaving. I love the unscented stuff now.

Like @V12Stu above, something in TOBS always made my face tingle and burn. I never figured out what it was, though. I was fine with the Lavender for the most part but the Avocado and Jermyn Street (or something like that) were terrible on my face.
I have Tobs puck in wooden bowl, Jermyn st. and Sandalwood also, I haven't used them in a couple of months since I bought artisan scented soaps. I will try them all again and test my skin. I hope to understand what is causing the symptoms. Thanks!

(2) Another concern is that although I do not get weepers nor any visible cuts and no blood seen on my skin after shaves, but when I put on alum block, it stings quite a bit. Is this normal?

Terrific advice above, what a helpful community!

Regarding #2, that seems more likely to be a technique issue. Make sure you are not going over any area multiple times. Once the soap is removed from that spot go to the next area. Then re-lather and do it again. Make sure you're not applying too much pressure either, that can irritate your skin and cause the alum sting.

One way to test this would be to just do very light passes. Don't go for a BBS, just a passable shave. If you you have less irritation, it is likely technique. Then you can start working on pressure, passes, angles, etc..

Good luck, you've got this!

Good point! I bought a bunch of A&E and MSC soaps last months and those are all I have been using, both of them have strong scents. My be my skin is sensitive to them as well...I will do some testing. Thanks!
Great advice - i found out i can't use a few of the A&E soaps unfortunately - skin reaction of redness and some burn. When i used it a second time it burned worse so i stopped. Get a quality soap and stick with it. Ensure your lather is good. I found out awhile back that my lathers were not good enough - so i added double the amt of product. A half teaspoon(I bowl lather). Be aware of overshaving as you mentioned above. Good luck!

Hello guys,

The advices I received from you guys last month has helped me a lot and I have been enjoying BBS consistently ever since. Thanks for that!

My questions this time around are about how my skin feels after the shave every morning.

(1) I feel that after the shave, my skin especially around my jaw line feels like it has retained heat and feels like the skin is a little bit swollen (although not visually seen). If I shave every 2 days, on the second day the skin feels back to normal.
Is this normal? If I get an after shave splash with alcohol instead of using the balm, do you think it would help?
My shaving process is:
pre-shave lotion, lather with the brush, shave with EJ 3One6 (three paths + clean up), alum block, aftershave balm.

Thanks in advance.
Bob
Lots of excellent advice given. Since you are new, it is possible that you have not found "your blade" yet. Listen to the advice given and then consider a different blade as well if all else fails.

2. Less/no pressure.

+1
Welcome to B&B!

@Bobby YVR when I’ve had soap irritation, the itching and burning disappears immediately after the soap is rinsed off. In those cases, the alum did not sting either.

I find lingering “heat” and a strong sting from the alum when I’ve “over shaved,” chasing whiskers or doing too many passes. This can happen both with mild and aggressive razors—I often find myself pressing or buffing with a mild razor. You might consider doing a 2-pass (north to south, south to north roughly) with a sharper blade (Nacet, GSB, Feather) to reduce the time your skin is in contact with a blade.
And of course, a reminder to only shave where there’s lather, and resist the urge to chase touch ups—when the passes are done, let the shave be finished.

I hope more comfortable shaves are coming to you soon! You’ll know they’re improving when the alum starts to sting less.

I don't know which brush you are using.....I can only say: do not rub your sensitive skin too much or with a stiff brush.

Balms are great after a shave instead of alcohol....or in addition to alcohol....just don't use balms w too much smell....I would try something inexpensive (Nivea Sensitive).....

Top Bottom