What's new

Hello and request for help!

Hello everyone. Im new to the straight razor game and have found this website extremely helpful.

I am having some issues with honing. I seem to get tree topping sharpness directly after a 16k finish and then raw strop but the edge never seems to stay sharp. Is it normal to have to strop in the middle of a shave and especially after tree topping?

Thanks in advance!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
What straight razor are you using and a picture of it would help us advise you.

To address your question, it is not normal to have to strop in the middle of a shave, although some may do so. A reasonable blade should last a whole shave of many passes without the need to be stropped during the shave.

Hello everyone. Im new to the straight razor game and have found this website extremely helpful.

I am having some issues with honing. I seem to get tree topping sharpness directly after a 16k finish and then raw strop but the edge never seems to stay sharp. Is it normal to have to strop in the middle of a shave and especially after tree topping?

Thanks in advance!
You say the razor tree tops after a 16k. Is that before or after the razor is stropped?

There is not usually any reason to have to strop mid shave. All of my razors can do multiple passes without having to be stropped.

As @rbscebu asked, what razor are you using? A few people have found that certain "razors" (more commonly referred to as razor shaped objects) cannot be honed, or if they can, cannot hold an edge.

You say the razor tree tops after a 16k. Is that before or after the razor is stropped?

There is not usually any reason to have to strop mid shave. All of my razors can do multiple passes without having to be stropped.

As @rbscebu asked, what razor are you using? A few people have found that certain "razors" (more commonly referred to as razor shaped objects) cannot be honed, or if they can, cannot hold an edge.
This is both before and after a strop. Dovo 5/8 best quality razor that i bought from beard and blade, an online store down here in Australia. I have just read that the model I bought is known for having spine warping issues! Is this something you would suggest fixing myself? I am not opposed to figuring it out (kinda ruining the razor) before splashing on a top quality razor.
What straight razor are you using and a picture of it would help us advise you.

To address your question, it is not normal to have to strop in the middle of a shave, although some may do so. A reasonable blade should last a whole shave of many passes without the need to be stropped during the shave.
Its quite warm and humid here in Brisbane, especially coming up into summer. Would climate produce a noticeable difference in the edge?

And thanks for the replies everyone! I am feeling very welcomed :)

Note on one of the photos I angled it so that the spine wear and blade reflect my black tshirt for visibility.

Attachments

• 20221017_145247.jpg
    20221017_145247.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20221017_145300.jpg
    20221017_145300.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20221017_145319.jpg
    20221017_145319.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221017_145403.jpg
    20221017_145403.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221017_145403.jpg
    20221017_145403.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20221017_145357.jpg
    20221017_145357.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Its quite warm and humid here in Brisbane, especially coming up into summer. Would climate produce a noticeable difference in the edge?
....:)
Climate will not produce any noticeable difference in the edge. The skin maybe but not a blade's edge. I have straight razor (SR) shaved on tropical islands, dry deserts and snowy mountain peaks, never finding a noticeable difference in the edge.

Your Dovo "Best" Quality is a reasonably good SR once it is properly honed for shaving. From what you have told us, it seems that it is your technique (shaving and/or honing) that may be the cause of your edge deterioration problem while shaving.

With your honing, you could be putting a slight fin-edge on the blade. Such an edge may tree-top and initially shave well, however the edge will quickly deteriorate during a shave as the fin bends over. The stropping during the shave can realign the fin so that the edge again cuts reasonably well for a short while longer.

With your shaving technique, you could be shaving with too high (obtuse) a shaving angle. Basically, the sharper the edge the more acute the shave angle should be. A good edge should shave well with the blade's spine about ½ a spine thickness off the skin (that's about 15°). I am finding that even a ¼ spine thickness off works for me. It may feel like your whiskers are not being cut but they are.

Last edited:
Climate will not produce any noticeable difference in the edge. The skin maybe but not a blade's edge. I have straight razor (SR) shaved on tropical islands, dry deserts and snowy mountain peaks, never finding a noticeable difference in the edge.

Your Dovo "Best" Quality is a reasonably good SR once it is properly honed for shaving. From what you have told us, it seems that it is your technique (shaving and/or honing) that may be the cause of your edge deterioration problem while shaving.

With your honing, you could be putting a slight fin-edge on the blade. Such an edge may tree-top and initially shave well, however the edge will quickly deteriorate during a shave as the fin bends over. The stropping during the shave can realign the fin so that the edge again cuts reasonably well for a short while longer.

With your shaving technique, you could be shaving with too high (obtuse) a shaving angle. Basically, the sharper the edge the more acute the shave angle should be. A good edge should shave well with the blade's spine about ½ a spine thickness off the skin (that's about 15°). I am finding that even a ¼ spine thickness off works for me. It may feel like your whiskers are not being cut but they are.
A foil edge would make sense! Any tips on how I might go about removing it? I am leaning towards another bevel set on my 1k before going 3k/5k/8k/16k/strop, for both shaving and practicing purposes.

Can you see the uneven finish on the blade in the photos? More bevel is visible in the toe and heel, with less in the middle of the blade. There is also grinding occurring on the stabiliser, I am unsure as to whether or not this is meant to be occuring?

I also see that you are listed as a honemeister in QLD! I am unable to PM you however due to anti-spam measures. Are you located near brisbane at all?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@Jobby I have sent you a PM.

To help prevent a fin-edge from developing while honing, you do most of your honing edge-leading and include a few short pull strokes in your honing routine at each grit level.

Another possible cause of your edge deterioration could be the blade's bevel angle being too acute for the steel, although I doubt that would be the reason with your Dovo.

I wouldn't worry about the bevel with changing over the length of the edge. The is purely aesthetics and, provided all else is good, should not affect the shave quality or edge life.

The Dovo should be decent steel, and a fin edge seems to be the likely culprit.

@rbscebu has already given the details about the cause. I will also add that you might me using too much pressure when honing. Did it myself the first time I tried setting a bevel.

Personally I would kill the edge and start again. Shouldn't take too much to reset the bevel, then go through the grits. Remember to reduce the honing pressure as you get close to bevel set to reduce the chance of a fin edge.

Good luck.

This is a marvelous community with gentlemen freely sharing their knowledge around the globe. Welcome to B & B!
It really is, and I am feeling unbelievably welcomed.
The Dovo should be decent steel, and a fin edge seems to be the likely culprit.

@rbscebu has already given the details about the cause. I will also add that you might me using too much pressure when honing. Did it myself the first time I tried setting a bevel.

Personally I would kill the edge and start again. Shouldn't take too much to reset the bevel, then go through the grits. Remember to reduce the honing pressure as you get close to bevel set to reduce the chance of a fin edge.

Good luck.
I haven't been using any real pressure other than required to keep the razor flat on the stones. Perhaps I need to use more. I will experiment and post results.

As I am learning, I have expectedly nicked my strop a few times. Does stropping over a nick cause edge issues that would require a touch up honing? I mean I enjoy the meditative aspect of using whetstones so I don't overly mind, but my face would!

It really is, and I am feeling unbelievably welcomed.

I haven't been using any real pressure other than required to keep the razor flat on the stones. Perhaps I need to use more. I will experiment and post results.

As I am learning, I have expectedly nicked my strop a few times. Does stropping over a nick cause edge issues that would require a touch up honing? I mean I enjoy the meditative aspect of using whetstones so I don't overly mind, but my face would!
Typically using too much pressure at bevel set is what can lead to a fin edge. At least that was the case for me. There is a time and place to use pressure and torque, but that is typically when a lot of steel needs to be removed such as honing out a chip etc.

If the bevel is nearly there, too much pressure is likely going to be detrimental to the final result.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. When you get a chance head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little more about yourself.

Top Bottom