What's new

Hello All

Im pretty new to this world, my eyes are bright and its hard resisting the urge to buy everything that I see reviewed. I got into DE when I had a beard but had to shave it for a funeral. The shave itself wasnt fun and neither was the process of nursing my face back to health afterwards. My first DE shave was on par with what it seems like everyone elses was, I thought it was awesome and then knicked myself about 700 times below the chin. Knicks are occasional now, but I still can't seem to find a way to get the hairs right under my jaw line to go away. Does anybody have the same problem or know any tips and how to get them easier? Thanks and all the best.

Welcome to B&B.
The shave itself wasnt fun and neither was the process of nursing my face back to health afterwards. My first DE shave was on par with what it seems like everyone elses was, I thought it was awesome and then knicked myself about 700 times below the chin. Knicks are occasional now, but I still can't seem to find a way to get the hairs right under my jaw line to go away.
What you seem to be experiencing is poor technique which results in nicks, cuts and weepers. Keeping the constant blade angle is something you need to apply with the DE razor as the head does not swivel. The correct blade angle will get that stubborn stubble but the choice of blade can also make a difference. Let us know what blade and razor you are using. I think this will give you something to think about; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
There is plenty of other good advice in the Shave Wiki.

Welcome to B&B.

What you seem to be experiencing is poor technique which results in nicks, cuts and weepers. Keeping the constant blade angle is something you need to apply with the DE razor as the head does not swivel. The correct blade angle will get that stubborn stubble but the choice of blade can also make a difference. Let us know what blade and razor you are using. I think this will give you something to think about; Blade Angle | Badger & Blade
I got an Edwin Jagger 3one6 because of steelsdurability and long lifespan, and Ive been using a couple of different blades from a sample pack. Astra Green, Rapira, Personna (red pack), Perma Sharp, and Kai. I think I like the astras the best for now

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B! You have started out with a great but aggressive razor. I parted ways with my 3one6 some time ago. Great advice above. While I usually don't advise newbies to purchase more stuff I suggest maybe trying a milder razor. A gillette tech can be had for not very much if you'd like to dip your toe into vintage.

I got an Edwin Jagger 3one6 because of steelsdurability and long lifespan, and Ive been using a couple of different blades from a sample pack. Astra Green, Rapira, Personna (red pack), Perma Sharp, and Kai. I think I like the astras the best for now
That razor has a very large blade gap, ~1.35mm, and needs a light touch and good technique. The Astra SP is is one of my favourite blades too.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Welcome! I agree with all of the above. It’s likely a combination of slight variances that will make the nicks disappear. But I’m guessing the biggest factor is an aggressive razor. The vintage Gillette Tech that @Chef455 suggests are inexpensive and plentiful - a perfect way to test the theory. If correct, there are many sub-$100 options for new mild stainless safety razors that will deliver a lifetime of shaving nirvana (e.g., RazoRock Lupo, Game Changer, Rockwell 6S).

Welcome aboard.

We all went through what you are experiencing. If you have never DE shaved before there is a lot to learn and bad habits to break, if you used a cartridge razor. Visit the shave wiki and read up on how to shave with a DE razor. Somewhere, several months down the path, you will have an aha moment and the shaves will be awesome after that.

If you decide not to read the wiki, I have two tips:
  1. No pressure on the razor to your face. Try to just touch your face with the blade and let the weight of the razor do the rest.
  2. Keep the blade angle on your face. This involves locking your wrist and not let the natural movement of your hand change the blade angle. When you go around a corner, such as your jawline, the angle will change. Move your wrist according to maintain that angle, or stretch the skin with your off hand and make funny faces to get that skin up on the flat of your jaw.

Welcome to B&B.

Just checking in since you helped me last week. I had my best shave yet over the weekend, but Ive run into another question. I have a spot right under my adams apple that seems to grow in every direction up down and side. Do I just have to pick a direction for a shave and see how my skin reacts to it, then try a different one next time?

Do I just have to pick a direction for a shave and see how my skin reacts to it, then try a different one next time?
For the final pass you may need to try shaving that area in different directions to get all the stubble. You also may like to try blade buffing which is a technique some use in those tricky areas. It is basically short very light repeated strokes backward and forward with the razor staying in contact on the skin.

Top Bottom