What's new

Hello All

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
When I purchased a strop I got the poor man's strop. I want to keep that at the firehouse and get another for home. Since I literally spend half of my life at work it becomes a second home and you notice that you double up on supplies.
Ah yes. I see. If you only double, you will be fortunate.
:a29:

Yep, a second home for shaving supplies would be disasterous to my budget. Best of luck sticking with double...

I'm doing it on a minimal and cost efficient basis. I am using cheaper VDH brushes, rehomed and repurposed mugs to build lather (were going to be thrown out, lucky me), and nothing crazy with soaps or razors. I have one for work and one for home, am using Proraso soap at home and VDH soap at work until it runs out when I'll pick up more Proraso. My biggest consumable is the soap, post shave balm, and AS. I'm trying to keep everything modest.

SHAVE 022 REPORT
Date:
11/25/2018
Prep: Wash face/head with hot wash cloth
Soap: VDH
Brush: VDH Boar
Razor: Genco Razor
A/S: None

Well last nights shave was successful and unsuccessful at the same time in my mind. WTG is still SAS and works, and my ATG grain produced a nice smooth shave. That was the successful part. The unsuccessful is I felt uneasy and out of practice when going ATG. I was hesitant for some reason, probably due to the lack of shaves recently. After the shave and alum I noticed there was a fair bit of irritation on my neck (Adams Apple level primarily on my left side but shown on both sides). The irritation went away after 10 ish minutes but I have not been that irritated before. It made me feel like I should stick to my WTG shaves but I am going to press and keep progressing. Heck, I still need to learn to shave my head with these things! Letting my face rest tonight and will resume tomorrow night at home. Hope everyone is having a good week!

SHAVE 022 REPORT
Date:
11/25/2018
A/S: None

Well last nights shave was successful and unsuccessful at the same time in my mind. WTG is still SAS and works, and my ATG grain produced a nice smooth shave. That was the successful part. The unsuccessful is I felt uneasy and out of practice when going ATG. I was hesitant for some reason, probably due to the lack of shaves recently. After the shave and alum I noticed there was a fair bit of irritation on my neck (Adams Apple level primarily on my left side but shown on both sides). The irritation went away after 10 ish minutes but I have not been that irritated before. It made me feel like I should stick to my WTG shaves but I am going to press and keep progressing. Heck, I still need to learn to shave my head with these things! Letting my face rest tonight and will resume tomorrow night at home. Hope everyone is having a good week!

A few more current shaves should make the comfort level drop back to normal.

SHAVE 023/024 REPORT
Date:
11/30/2018-12/01/2018
Razor: Genco Razor and Imperial Razor
A/S: Old Spice Classic

Well shave 23 was a short practice shave on my head. I used my Genco and was practicing on my head. Worked on top and sides but stayed away from most of the back of my head (got a little of the side edges but not much else). Went well but need to practice more to get a closer shave. No blood so that made me happy. Finished off with my cartridge. The next morning (shave 24) I used my Imperial (I brought it in from home) and got a very nice WTG shave then XTG from inside to outside, followed by ATG on my neck. I feel I am venturing into CCS realm and I am LOVING the shave that my Imperial razor is providing. I much prefer it to my Genco razor. I also notice that I am not taking as long when shaving, although still long, not nearly as long as I started. I was able to finish this mornings shave in 25ish minutes taking my time compared to the 45 minutes when I first started. I had zero blood this morning and little to no bite with my AS. Also earned a few cool points with some of my new coworkers which is always fun. Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Looking forward to seeing my family tomorrow morning.

Head shave with a straight? Eesh! Not this lumpy headed fool! :001_tongu

I'm lucky to have a fairly round head. My biggest obstacle is a mole on the back near the bump where our C-Spine attaches to he skull. Also lucky enough when it comes to my baldness that most is gone or going. I have the classic horseshoe and that is thinning in spots. I want it all to disappear so I no longer have to shave ha ha.

So I will have a new strop coming shortly and I'm excited about it. I ordered a new Rough Out strop from Tony Miller. It should be here in a few days. I'll keep the nice TM one at home and then keep my poor mans strop at work as planned and mentioned the other day. The hyper link says 2.5 but it's a 3"

2 1/2" Old No.2 Artisan European Steerhide Strop

Well today is my quarter century shave!!!

SHAVE 025 REPORT
Date:
12/07/2018
Soap: Proraso Red
Razor: Imperial Razor
A/S: Proraso Red AS

Well today was a good shave I'm going to call it a CCS. I'm on vacation for the next week so I am taking the time to perfect shaves and really enjoy them (not that I don't already). I am in love with this new Imperial razor and I really dig my new TM Strop! Todays shave produced two pin drops of blood and I'm surprised there wasn't more but we'll get into that. Kept my face WTG and it is getting better and better. Somehow I produced my first pin drop. I must of had a small zit or something because I was going perfectly straight and on a flat spot while in my initial strokes. Right angle, right stretch, right speed. As I moved to my neck I did a two pass WTG/ATG and it was nice. I learned when shaving under my skin that my hair grows SE to NW towards the centerline of my body on the right side, and SW to NE on the left side. I knew that already, but what I learned was that if I used my opposite hand when trying to tackle this for a BBS attempt it is much easier than using the right hand for right side and left for left. I'm still rocking my Movember Fu Manchu so my upper lip is out, but I have to maintain my lower lip. This is my second pin drop and why I am honestly shocked I didn't have more. I had already got most of my lip/chin when I noticed I missed fine blonde hairs immediately under my lip. I wanted to get them with a XTG motion to perserve my mustache handles lol. Well I came in WAY to steep and thought I took a chunk not just a slice. After examination I did neither. Just a small knick with the tiniest little blood drop. But other than that I enjoyed this shave. I also did another practice round on my head. My dome is fairly easy as there is little hair and it's fairly thin and well I can see it. The sides and back this go around proved a little more difficult than I last remembered and I opted to stop before I cut myself. Finished with my cartridge and called it good. I hope everyone has a great weekend! I'm taking my boys to see Christmas lights at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs (Google it!!!), tomorrow is the Mrs. work Christmas party, then Sunday we are doing an event day with my in-laws spanning all day with several events like a carriage ride, escape room, and dinner.

What's an escape room?
A small group of people are locked into a room. We have to find clues in the room. One leads to another which eventually tell you the code, or key location etc to get out. You have a limited amount of time to do it in. I'll find a good video.

SHAVE 026 REPORT
Date:
12/15/2018
Prep: Wash face with hot wash cloth
Soap: VDH Deluxe
A/S: Old Spice Classic

Well today was my first straight shave in about a week. Completed a quick WTG face only and a WTG/ATG neck. I am starting to think that 1) I need to strop my razor more than 50 pre/post shave, 2) while learning to strop I rolled my edge, or 3) it's time to hone my razor. I say this because it just doesn't feel sharp, it cuts but feels dull. Things I can do with this razor "excess" pressure or other no-no's I have experienced or read about I am able to get away with without cutting myself. I also get a fair bit of irritation on my neck with this razor but not with my other razor which feels quite a bit sharper. I tried touching it up with my basal strop per the directions but it did not seem to help. I remember the razor felt sharper when I first got it. My face which is usually easy even felt like the razor wasn't cutting as efficiently. I may try find a local person to hone or send it off. Todays shave looked CCS but felt SAS as it was not comfortable. It makes me appreciate my other razor even more. The more I use it the more I prefer it.

Best to find a reputable home person here starting out. Someone who comes with recommendations. That way there’s no horror stories. :001_tongu

Good to hear from ya!

Your progress is good. I've never shaved my head so dontknow much about that. But, if you enjoy the Imperial Razors (Eagle), you might like this. A 14 day set I put together. All Imperials and everyone dressed in different wood scales.

20180906_223644.jpg

Top Bottom