What's new

Hello all, touching base from Hong Kong

Hello Sirs

I got bored in the recent Hong Kong lockdowns and decided to teach myself new things to get over being stuck at home with all the gyms, bars, social clubs closed, most restaurants doing limited business and seeing good friends being carted off to quarantine facilities that resembled refugee camps...

This included learning how to shave with a straight. I already had a somewhat dependable routine with a feather equipped Merkur 23C DE, old Kent VS70 and Kents Soap (i.e. Mitchells Wool Fat) so I wasn't coming from zero. Little did I know that this hobby is truly a rabbit hole.

Jarrod from superiorshave got me started with a beginners setup. Partly from his honing service and the TI Evide Sonnant, partly from luck, I managed to not cut myself and achieved the closest shave I've had ever, with zero irritation. Now I look forward to the weekends stropping, using pastes, debating the merits of a second straight or learning how to hone... which should be an interesting endeavour...

I have also gotten a bad case of BAD. After acquiring the entire SOC line of brushes and an Epsilon in white horsehair (one of every kind of hair in the ivory colour coordinated handles in my fever dream state) I feel like I should pause. Yet those Simpsons Chubby brushes are a siren call.

And so it appears the vendors have a new customer and my wallet is somewhat lighter for it.

Happy to be here and likely happy-ish to be spending my hard earnt cash somewhere somehow.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Hello Sirs

I got bored in the recent Hong Kong lockdowns and decided to teach myself new things to get over being stuck at home with all the gyms, bars, social clubs closed, most restaurants doing limited business and seeing good friends being carted off to quarantine facilities that resembled refugee camps...

This included learning how to shave with a straight. I already had a somewhat dependable routine with a feather equipped Merkur 23C DE, old Kent VS70 and Kents Soap (i.e. Mitchells Wool Fat) so I wasn't coming from zero. Little did I know that this hobby is truly a rabbit hole.

Jarrod from superiorshave got me started with a beginners setup. Partly from his honing service and the TI Evide Sonnant, partly from luck, I managed to not cut myself and achieved the closest shave I've had ever, with zero irritation. Now I look forward to the weekends stropping, using pastes, debating the merits of a second straight or learning how to hone... which should be an interesting endeavour...

I have also gotten a bad case of BAD. After acquiring the entire SOC line of brushes and an Epsilon in white horsehair (one of every kind of hair in the ivory colour coordinated handles in my fever dream state) I feel like I should pause. Yet those Simpsons Chubby brushes are a siren call.

And so it appears the vendors have a new customer and my wallet is somewhat lighter for it.

Happy to be here and likely happy-ish to be spending my hard earnt cash somewhere somehow.

Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

I just wanted to take a moment to provide my sympathies for what your country is going through right now. I bought a shaving brush from Tianjinshi China, from a seller on Ebay. He has a family with kids, and lives in a small town area, for who'm recently went under a 2-weeks lockdown, due to a Covid outbreak in their town, they all had to stay in their dorms.

My heart goes out to all the people who've been effected, especially those with families. I pray that you stay safe during this time period. And I too think its excellent, that you've started a shaving hobby, to help keep yourself doing something productive, during these rough times. Having said all that, I do not have the bravery to try a straight. So kudo's to you, for branching out.

I personally, am perfectly happy with my DE razor. But you are so right, this shaving hobby, can quickly turn into a rabbit hole, when you least expect it too. But, as long as you are not going bankrupped, and you are having fun, your pocket book could be a little lighter anyways, who needs 30mm of bulk! 😁

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to B&B and the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. Hong Kong was one of the last places I visited before the quarantine struck. I have always enjoyed visiting there.

I don't understand how you can live with just one straight razor.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Welcome to B&B and the gentlemanly art of straight razor shaving. Hong Kong was one of the last places I visited before the quarantine struck. I have always enjoyed visiting there.

I don't understand how you can live with just one straight razor.

Its called will power, and if the OP is able to hold their resolve, they may just prevent themselves from falling deeper into the rabbit hole. But I say the word "may", because as we all know, its far too easy to fall into that rabbit hole. ;)

Welcome. Hong Kong is a fantastic place. My oldest son lives in Shenzhen, and pre-lockdown, we enjoyed visiting while in China.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for taking the time to check in with us.

Top Bottom