What's new

Hello all... SR newbie... what have I got myself into? (also, advice needed)

Hello all,

I somehow became interested in the idea of shaving with a straight razor in the past month or so, and have since fallen a long way down the wet shaving rabbit hole. I bought a vintage straight and a cheap leather strop, and despite not even being able to shave with it properly, I've become slightly obsessed... 😂

I've now read 100s of pages on this forum (thankyou all for your contributions), watched too many youtube vids and started looking at eBay for vintage shaving gear. I've also purchased lapping film, an acrylic honing block and some gold dollar razors so I can practice The Method. Not sure if I've found a new hobby, religion or some combination of the two 😂

OK, onto a description of my first shave:
  • On my first shave I was able to shave my cheeks and some of my neck area, but couldn’t remove any hair around sideburns areas. It seemed to me that the point end of the blade wasn’t cutting properly. I had to finish off with my old disposable, so not a great start!
  • I did a hanging hair test and confirmed that the heel end of the blade is sharp and will cut a hanging hair, but the point end (about a third or half of the edge at the point end) wouldn’t cut a hanging hair.
  • I think either the straight wasn't actually shave ready, or (more likely) I ruined the edge with incorrect stropping technique (I think I've since corrected my technique).
  • While this wasn't ideal entry into wet shaving, it has taken me down the path of learning about honing etc which I find very interesting and I'm keen to try my hand at.

And now my newbie questions:
  • If an edge doesn't pass the HHT, will any amount of stropping on leather bring it back, or does it need to be honed?
  • Does anyone know of a honemeister in Western Australia? I know there are some on the east coast, but would like to go local if I can.
  • While I'm getting my SR back to shave-readiness, I was thinking of practicing shave technique with a cheap shavette that I have. Is this a good idea, or am I going to pick up bad technique?

Thanks!

Hey there, welcome to a wonderful, brand new world of hobby-related arguments with your other half. Heaps of fun ahead of you!!!

On a more serious note, on to your questions, I'll get the ones I don't have an answer for out of the way first.

Nr 2 and 3, can't help, Europe based and never ever used a shavette, sorry.

Regarding HHT, while it is a half-decent way of gauging the readiness of your edge, do not make the mistake of considering it the end all be all. I usually strop my razor, about ten laps, after coming off the 4k stone, by that time it should cut hanging hairs without much effort, however, I feel it is more important, more accurate shall I say, to get a good feel regarding how well it shaves hairs off your own arm (or leg, use your surface of choice).

I have honed razors that couldn't pass the HHT for their life, but decided to give them a go, since they were good healthy razord without geometry problems, and I was convinced of my work on them, and they usually proved me right.

What I mean by this is do not put all your trust into the HHT, develop a wider array of sensations to put your trust in. HHT is just a tool, a good one, but not inmune to fallibility.

As @Mastropiero said, the HHT is a useful guide, but not the be all and end all. The shave is the ultimate test.

By the sound of things, your razor needs to be honed, no amount of stropping will bring back a dull edge. Stropping is not honing and serves to realign the edge, not remove steel.

I'm also European based, so can't help with who can hone in Australia, nevermind WA. Perhaps @rbscebu would be able to shed some light on Aussie honers.

With regard to the shave, there is nothing wrong with using a cart or DE to touch up, especially when starting out. As your technique improves you will find you need another shaver less and less. As long as blood stayed on the right side of the skin, you did well.

The chin is a problem area for many people starting out, and it does take time to get proficient.

Regarding using a shavette, I have only used one a few times. Not for me, but many people like them. They are, by most accounts, less forgiving than an actual straight. I would imagine there would be some crossover between the two but cannot categorically say either way.

Good luck.

Welcome to the madhouse!

If your nose and ears are still attached and you didn’t loose to much blood, you can consider your first shave a success.

Not sure about WA but DC Blades in QLD does honing. To be honest though it sounds like your got all the gear already. You might as well have a crack at doing it yourself with the films. It’s not too hard to get a shavable edge with those.

Good luck. Stick with it and by this time next month you should have it all pretty well worked out.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
  • If an edge doesn't pass the HHT, will any amount of stropping on leather bring it back, or does it need to be honed?
  • Does anyone know of a honemeister in Western Australia? I know there are some on the east coast, but would like to go local if I can.
  • While I'm getting my SR back to shave-readiness, I was thinking of practicing shave technique with a cheap shavette that I have. Is this a good idea, or am I going to pick up bad technique?

Thanks!
1. No, unless you want to strop the SR for a year or more.

2. None known in WA but others in AU are listed here in the B&B wiki:

Fortunately postage will be the same anywhere within AU. It will just take longer in shipping both ways.​
3. You won't pick up any bad habits. They are very similar but different.

Have you read the instructions?

Thanks all for the warm welcome and advice

Some follow ups...

Thanks to @Mastropiero, @PintoPlain, @rbscebu, @Tomo etc for the advice re: HHT, stropping, honers in Australia etc. I think I'll perhaps send my vintage SR to DC Blades, and have a go at honing on a Gold Dollar with an aim to get good enough to do it myself next time.

@rbscebu I have read the instructions, but have forgotten most of it 😂. I will read again before my next shave.

@Legion, a pic of my SR is below. Curtin and Clark Cutlery.

20220514_090743.jpg

And an update: today I shaved with the shavette. Not too bad, a couple of nicks and a bit of irritation around my neck (I think blade angle too high), but overall I'm calling it a success. Will keep going with the shavette and looking forward to trying with a proper SR soon.

Thanks again to all.

Welcome! Glad that you're here. You'll learn all you need to know. You might consider starting with just your cheeks with the SR. Finish with your preferred method. It'll build muscle memory and confidence.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hello all,

I somehow became interested in the idea of shaving with a straight razor in the past month or so, and have since fallen a long way down the wet shaving rabbit hole. I bought a vintage straight and a cheap leather strop, and despite not even being able to shave with it properly, I've become slightly obsessed... 😂

I've now read 100s of pages on this forum (thankyou all for your contributions), watched too many youtube vids and started looking at eBay for vintage shaving gear. I've also purchased lapping film, an acrylic honing block and some gold dollar razors so I can practice The Method. Not sure if I've found a new hobby, religion or some combination of the two 😂

OK, onto a description of my first shave:
  • On my first shave I was able to shave my cheeks and some of my neck area, but couldn’t remove any hair around sideburns areas. It seemed to me that the point end of the blade wasn’t cutting properly. I had to finish off with my old disposable, so not a great start!
  • I did a hanging hair test and confirmed that the heel end of the blade is sharp and will cut a hanging hair, but the point end (about a third or half of the edge at the point end) wouldn’t cut a hanging hair.
  • I think either the straight wasn't actually shave ready, or (more likely) I ruined the edge with incorrect stropping technique (I think I've since corrected my technique).
  • While this wasn't ideal entry into wet shaving, it has taken me down the path of learning about honing etc which I find very interesting and I'm keen to try my hand at.

Thanks!
Welcome, and congratulations on your progress to date.

(1) No. Stropping aligns and cleans the edge. It does not form the edge.
(2) Can't help there.
(3) Nothing wrong with using a shavette. The only problem with the shavette is that unless you are honing by The Method, the shavette will be so much sharper that you will maybe end up with unrealistic expectations of, and reliance on, sharpness, with your straight razors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J9MVBWL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
is one I sometimes use. There are a lot of these out there, Feather style shavettes that use the Artist Club style blade, and also that, like this one, use a half DE blade. I use the Feather DE blades snapped in half. This is very much a "touch" blade and razor, not a "press" blade and razor, but it sure gets the job done. The thing is, only a perfectly honed straight razor compares to that level of sharpness. This style usually holds the blade very securely though, so it's all on you and your hand. There will be some adjustment when you go back to straights, but not a big deal. There are a lot more similarities than differences, so have at it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... I've also purchased lapping film, an acrylic honing block and some gold dollar razors so I can practice The Method. Not sure if I've found a new hobby, religion or some combination of the two 😂
Honing on lapping films is an good and economical way into develop your initial honing skills. It removes a few of the detrimental variables that can be found with natural and synthetic whetstones.

I have now progressed to where I am bevel-setting on synthetic whetstones, refining the edge on lapping films and finishing the edge on diamond pasted balsa strops. This is giving me edges that I am very happy with.

Some prefer their edges to be finished off natural whetstones. I haven't yet found that, but I have a limited budget.

Top Bottom