What's new

Heljestrand No. 42 details... Polarbeard where art thou? :)

So, seemingly the least seen Heljis, what exactly is the blade size and such?

The few posts from a couple of the forums range from 5/8 to 11/16 and 6/8.

In person I gandered it as a 11/16 with 1/4 grind.

Also, did this model ever have the MK with three crowns? Material is real tortoise, so I guess the razors are earlier than later.

Thanks!

Here's the MK with 3 crowns

The search engine on this forum works pretty good

Last edited:
Should mention that yes I figure they are old because original boxis a worn MK one, but also I think the crown markings were not there-and perhaps not even the MK(?)

Did any exist as such? :)

Should mention that yes I figure they are old because original boxis a worn MK one, but also I think the crown markings were not there-and perhaps not even the MK(?)

Did any exist as such? :)
It's possible, Heljestrand was known to not even stamp model numbers sometimes.

What I have seen photographic evidence of: the BK 42 (I have seen it written that the BK was the initials for one of Magnus Kindal's daughters, but it also may just stand for Bästa Kvalitet, or "Best Quality"). I have seen photos of these with ivory scales and even mother of pearl. So it wouldn't surprise me if they also made them in tortoiseshell scales.

There are also, later models with plastic scales marked MK 42. There is even a stainless version with "Viking" etched on the blade.

What they all have in common is a width of about 11/16" and a quarter hollow grind.

Here I am. My workweeks are currently rather hectic. Heljestrand produced razors for more than a century. Over the decades the specifications for the razor models changed and most razors models were produced with more than one model number. So the numeric model numbers aren't as specific as you would expect.

For the size of the blad a factory new 42 should be 11/16 (20mm) or 6/8 depending on when it was made. The older ones were made to be 20mm. The grind is to be 1/4 hollow.

There are different opinions regarding what "B" in B.K. stands for. Most people seems to go for "Berte" these days, which was the name of the daugher of Magnus Kindal, the owner of Heljestrand from 1925. This indicates that a razor marked "B.K" most likely is made in the 1920's. "M.K" does of course stand for Magnus Kindal. Three crowns are the three medieval kingdoms that was to become Sweden. Most of Heljestrand's razors models were sold both with and without the "M.K" marking without any difference in the blade, the only to me known exception is the No.24 where some of the "M.K" razors have a longer blade.

Tortoise scales indicate that a razor is made before 1930. Ivory scales were not too uncommon up until 1939, but the war put a stop to the import. After the war the import of ivory was banned, but some ivory might still have been in stock.

Last edited:
It's possible, Heljestrand was known to not even stamp model numbers sometimes.

What I have seen photographic evidence of: the BK 42 (I have seen it written that the BK was the initials for one of Magnus Kindal's daughters, but it also may just stand for Bästa Kvalitet, or "Best Quality"). I have seen photos of these with ivory scales and even mother of pearl. So it wouldn't surprise me if they also made them in tortoiseshell scales.

There are also, later models with plastic scales marked MK 42. There is even a stainless version with "Viking" etched on the blade.

What they all have in common is a width of about 11/16" and a quarter hollow grind.
They definitely exist in tortoise. I’m lucky enough to have one.

8FA15AF2-E4C2-4880-8B61-804851406C97.jpeg

Attachments

• 40FDBD86-B3BF-48D1-8355-87161322593F.jpeg
    40FDBD86-B3BF-48D1-8355-87161322593F.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 38
  • 8E7656BF-B0A4-44A3-9CCC-6E68A39D0189.jpeg
    8E7656BF-B0A4-44A3-9CCC-6E68A39D0189.jpeg
    484.1 KB · Views: 40
  • F33BC6B2-43A8-4BEB-A66B-66778665E5EE.jpeg
    F33BC6B2-43A8-4BEB-A66B-66778665E5EE.jpeg
    615.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 73C2406F-E365-4D5C-B5A1-38F6E5AFF77A.jpeg
    73C2406F-E365-4D5C-B5A1-38F6E5AFF77A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41
Indeed, notice the 😝 sir @Tomo :)

Next best thing, have a set made on shell instead 😊

And thanks!

If they were No 32... but I fear that might be nigh impossible nowadays will all the buying and internet that has passed by 🙃

Most of Heljestrand's razors models were sold both with and without the "M.K" marking without any difference in the blade, the only to me known exception is the No.24 where some of the "M.K" razors have a longer blade.
Here's my No.24 (Not MK) which is 7cm. Just as a matter of interest do you know how long the MK blades were?
PXL_20220427_120012023.jpg

@Polarbeard the good gent has a question for you please :)

@Bevel since Heljis are all basically the same cut of blade I'd assume that they all have more or less equal blade lengths

For ref, my 42 (which is the same as the normal, longer No24 model) is blade-wise exactly 7 cm long without shoulder, same as yours. :)

Tortoise scales indicate that a razor is made before 1930. Ivory scales were not too uncommon up until 1939, but the war put a stop to the import. After the war the import of ivory was banned, but some ivory might still have been in stock.
That post war ivory stock must have been impressive! According to my 1957 catalogue the following razors were sold with ivory scales: 1, 3, 5, 29, 30, 31 32, 33, 41, 42, 57.

Regards,
Hans

Top Bottom