What's new

Heirloom Veg-tanned vs Notovan, opinions?

Hi everyone.

Over the last week I've been in touch with Tony regarding the possibility of ordering one of his strops. He's being a pleasure to communicate with and so far has answered all of my questions but there's still one aspect I am not completely convinced. He did give me an answer but still preferred to refer me to you guys in hope that I could put my doubts to rest and considering I would ordering from thr other side of the pond I'd rather cross my i's and dot my t's properly.....

So, has anyone used both types of strop? Have you noticed any difference regarding the sharpness and smoothness of the edge? I am not talking about the different feel and draw you get from the stop, I got that explained in full detail by Tony himself, but I have tried a few strops by now and some have given me smoother edges, more pleasant ones than other strops that have given me more aggressive ones.

I'd very much appreciate your input on this matter, if you have had first hand experience with both types of strops.

Many thanks!
Cheers,
Stefan

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I own many strops and I can’t tell the difference in the edge from each of them.

I do not believe the type of leather has an impact on the smoothness of the edge.

What I can clearly distinguish is the hone that I used to sharpen that edge, with a coticule edge being much different than a lapping film edge or a black Arkansas finished edge.

My suggestion is: don’t overthink it

I have an older Notovan and a Fast Bridle Hierloom, not sure if that's what you mean by veg tanned.

They both give me the same edge. Only difference being the draw.

Tony Miller’s Roughout and Steerdovan are the Alpha-Omega of strops when it comes to feel. Each is far opposite the other on the strop spectrum. As far as edge goes....no perceived difference.

Well I just couldn't resist. :001_rolle Just dropped off at my front door. The draw is really nice. It's fast, smooth and a little velvety. Right in my wheel house. The leather caps have a somewhat distressed look that just adds instant personality to the strop. Nicely done Mr. @Tony Miller :a14:
20190424_150052.jpg

Top Bottom