What's new

Heirloom Users Club

Hi,

Wow. There are some really nice 'hand-me-downs' there! That will alter the meaning of that phrase, for sure! :)

And, all are so very welcome here. Any heirlooms of anything we chat about on this site are welcome. And, in any condition. As long as it was handed down, it's All Good! :)

Stan

After being away from B&B for a while ... heart attack, stent, super blood thinner = electric razor ...I have returned ! Anyway, I acquired either my father's or maternal grandfather's Gillette Slim a few months ago and finally cleaned it up and gave it a go. First shave yesterday was on 5, today's shave is on 7 .. tomorrow setting is going 9 - whole hog.

Thanks Stan for telling me about HUC.

After being away from B&B for a while ... heart attack, stent, super blood thinner = electric razor ...I have returned ! Anyway, I acquired either my father's or maternal grandfather's Gillette Slim a few months ago and finally cleaned it up and gave it a go. First shave yesterday was on 5, today's shave is on 7 .. tomorrow setting is going 9 - whole hog.

Thanks Stan for telling me about HUC.
Wow, glad to hear you are back and on the other side of the issues you had. My paternal grandfather's Slim is one of the razors in my heirloom collection. Great shaving gear!

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the Fourth, I used Grandpa's Tech. It has triangle slots and a steel handle and base plate, so I would guess it was made during WWII, and most likely what he used during his service. It's a bit more mild than a standard Tech, took a third pass, but I did get a nice DFS out of it.

DSCF0307.JPG

Hi everyone, here is my Heirloom/Independence Day SOTD-

proxy.php

Dads razor, and all made in USA shave products. God Bless The USA!

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the invite to this group, @KQY61! I just inherited my grandfather's H3(1962) Gillette Slim Adjustable. I'm very honored to have it in my collection. I also have an old Gibbs brush that my dad used to use, but it's a very early attempt at synthetic bristles and I can't bring myself to use it because I don't think I'll enjoy it. Haha.
proxy.php

upload_2017-4-17_10-10-31-png.782867

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I also have an old Gibbs brush that my dad used to use, but it's a very early attempt at synthetic bristles and I can't bring myself to use it because I don't think I'll enjoy it. Haha.

The early nylon brushes seem to work about as well as the modern synthetics. That one looks in great shape and only needs a toothbrush on the handle creases. Give it a try.

Top shelf far left and bottom shelf third from left are half century or more old nylon brushes:
proxy.php

They both get used about every seventh week.​

The early nylon brushes seem to work about as well as the modern synthetics. That one looks in great shape and only needs a toothbrush on the handle creases. Give it a try.

Top shelf far left and bottom shelf third from left are half century or more old nylon brushes:
proxy.php

They both get used about every seventh week.​
It's in fantastic shape. Maybe I'll do an Heirloom shave soon.

Hi,

Today, for no particular reason, I shaved 'with what Dad gave me' back in 1976. His leftover Old Spice soap, the Rubberset brush, and the Pre-War Tech. It was more work than my usual, and took twice as long, and left me with a CCS instead of a DFS....so, not so good.

And, I am Pleased as Punch with it! :)

Stan

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the invite to this group, @KQY61! I just inherited my grandfather's H3(1962) Gillette Slim Adjustable. I'm very honored to have it in my collection. I also have an old Gibbs brush that my dad used to use, but it's a very early attempt at synthetic bristles and I can't bring myself to use it because I don't think I'll enjoy it. Haha.
proxy.php

I know I'm a little late responding, but wanted to say nice heirlooms, and welcome to the club!:thumbup1:

Hi,

Today, for no particular reason, I shaved 'with what Dad gave me' back in 1976. His leftover Old Spice soap, the Rubberset brush, and the Pre-War Tech. It was more work than my usual, and took twice as long, and left me with a CCS instead of a DFS....so, not so good.

And, I am Pleased as Punch with it! :)

Stan
Glad to hear you used your Dad's Tech. Sometimes the experience is more important than the shave quality or extra effort it takes.:thumbsup:

Well it's Thanksgiving, and I'm going to my parent's later today. I figured it was a good excuse to break out Grandpa's (Dad's Dad) Prewar Tech. It's made of steel and a little more mild than most Techs, took a little more work, but still managed to get a respectable and very enjoyable shave.
DSCF3775 (2).JPG

Hi,

Continuing from yesterday, I used my Old Type today. That had been my Mom's Dad's and we always went to his place on Thanksgiving. So, it was fitting that I used his razor this morning. :)

Stan

Hi,

Today I was reading where someone had their shaving collection, or some of it anyway, in the main bathroom and that guests could see it. That got me to thinking....

I don't have a collection, not like most anyway. But, I do have a few heirloom items. Where I got to thinking is, I have the razor and brush which my Dad used all the time, and even an Old Spice mug with some of the original soap still in it. I shave in the bathroom which goes with our bedroom. So, no one sees that. But, I could move Dad's rig sans blade into the main bathroom:

IMG_00000013.jpg

Stan

I'd be concerned that somehow, someway, someone's kid would decide to either play around with it and damage it or it would get knocked of the counter and destroyed. The only way I'd desplay something like that would be in an enclosed shadowbox, mounted on the wall.
Jack

IMG_0332[1].JPG

The razor in my avatar pic was given to me by my step-father Jim, shortly after he and my mom married in 2005. He was born in 1923 and, at age 18, followed his brother into the Navy to serve during WWII aboard the subchaser SC-1473 and the patrol gunboat PG-66 (USS Restless) protecting convoys in the Atlantic Fleet. He was one of the finest men I've ever known and one of my life's blessings. I thought the nautical theme of Reef Point Soaps made a nice tribute.

The razor was his father's and possibly his grandfather's before that. While it will shave, it needs honing to be a comfortable shaver. I haven't been able to find any information about it that would give it's age or country of origin. I assume the scales are celluloid but I'm not sure, they're very opaque and the celluloid I've seen before was more translucent. The tang is stamped "J.H. Cutlery Co." on one side and "HOLTA BRAND" on the other.

Thanks for a wonderful thread,
Jack

Last edited:
Another heirloom shave today. Grandfather's Featherweight and Fuller brush. Great-grandfather's Shumate (for under the nose) and soap mug.
Have a blessed Christmas everyone!
proxy.php

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Hi everyone. Thinking about my Dad again today. Here's my Heirloom SOTD for today-

proxy.php

Have a great day all.

Stan invited me to share my Heirloom story here. I read every post in this thread before posting my own and I agree that there is nothing as important and special than a razor passed down from generation to generation. I'm honored to join the club!

-------------------------------------------------
My Dad's Black-Handle Razor

I remember when I was a kid, my dad had a black-handle twist-to-open razor. I thought it was a Schick Krona because I recall it had a long handle. Back then I mimicked shaving as many kids do, lathering up with his gel, scraping my face with his razor, and of course giving myself razor burn. Once while playing with it, I misplaced his razor, causing more than a little grief to myself. My current interest in vintage razors made me wonder what ever became of it. He currently uses dollar store disposables and I hadn't seen it in at least 15 years.

So on my visit last week, I rummaged around the cabinet and drawers of his bathroom but only found the disposables. I asked him about his razor and he said that it was in the top drawer. I had already looked in that drawer but I looked again. I saw only cheap dollar store razors, nothing more. He then came into the bathroom, reached into the back of the top drawer under a handful of disposables, and brought out a hazy plastic case. Inside was a black-handled Gillette Super Speed M2 with pack of Supermax blades. I didn't remember the case so I was looking for a loose razor. Later, old memories resurfaced and I remembered the case. As for the longer handle, well, it was a larger razor in the hands of a child.

The M2 was manufactured in 1967 but he stated he purchased it in 1975. He claimed he had a few other razors over the years but tossed them because they didn't compare to the Gillette. Eventually, he stopped using the Super Speed because he found disposables easier to manage with his aging hands and it was getting harder to find blades.

I carefully wrapped the razor in tissue and placed it back into it's case. Then I wrapped the case in paper towels and stashed it away in my overnight bag. Back at home, I carefully cleaned and sanitized it. It's not in perfect shape, there's some spotting on the doors and plate loss on the bars. But that's okay, it's still quite functional. I showed it to my wife and she said she would make room for it on the cabinet beside the sink.

Black-handle Super Speeds can be had rather easily for under $15 on ebay and I've seen a few at the antique stores I've visited for about the same cost. But I won't be buying any more of them. There's no reason. I have the only black handle Super Speed I'll ever want or need.

ssm201-jpg.896650

ssm202-jpg.896651

ssm203-jpg.896652

Bonus Acquisition!

While visiting my dad, I mapped out antique stores in his vicinity. As usual, most shops had one, maybe two razors in rough shape or nothing at all. But one had about 8 razors in two separate displays and among them, a Fatboy G3 and a Slim Adjustable H3. The Fatboy was actually in good shape. The Slim had a touch of plate loss on the handle, a small dent on the base, but otherwise seemed all right. I was able to talk her down to $20 for both. Finally, I have a couple of adjustables and for a good price!

It was a nice visit, indeed.

20180613_141916-jpg.896661

Top Bottom