What's new

Heirloom Razor Opinions

I want some opinions from you gents. I have a 1959 Gillette Fatboy that belonged to my great grandfather who passed when I was very young. He gave the razor to my Dad in his early 20s I think. Then a few years ago my Dad gave it to me. If you can see my thread history a couple years ago you guys informed me as to what it was when I wasn't knowledgeable of vintage Gillettes. Its in good shape but the blade doors close at an angle therefore sets the blade at an angle and is not very comfortable to shave with. Ive tried and can't fix it myself so Ive been wanting to send it in to a tune up service for awhile. I have informed my wife that this year all I want for Christmas is to get my Fatboy fixed and maybe even plated. I was originally fixed on razor emporium for maybe a nickel or rhodium replate. Recently Ive stumbled across Delta Echo Razors and North Shore Razors. These guys use gun coating and can make a vintage razor look Awesome. I was set on sending my razor to one of these two companies, however my wife brought to my attention that an heirloom with such sentimental value that I would one day pass to my kids might be better kept in original condition. Good point! So now I'm torn! Should I get an heirloom razor coated in my own colors of choice, plated in a more classic color, or simply cleaned polished and fixed up. I could always buy myself a slim and have it coated the way I like and could still pass it onto my kids one day. What would you guys do. Just seeking some opinions on what I should do vs what I could do.

It's totally up to you (I'm sure everyone will say that). However, if it were me in your shoes I would send it to razor emporium and have them fix it and replate it in original factory nickel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My take would be that, since you need to get it repaired in any event, it would best be restored to original condition, with a replate in nickel. The man in the USA for that would be Chris Evatt, at Razorplate, who gets virtually universal praise on B&B, unlike some others.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
^^^^^^

The big issue is getting it shave worthy and replating in factory nickle sounds like a great idea. Hand-me-downs really are priceless.

I definitely WOULD NOT change the color/plating scheme on it. Personally I would just get it fixed and that is it. If you feel like you need to replate it, then go with factory nickel as others have said. I'm not going to say who is better or who is not when it comes to replating and fixing, but please do some homework on this issue. Not all that perform these services are created equal. Do a search on Badger & Blade...you will likely find your answers here.

It's tremendous that you have this razor with such great lineage. Keeping it in its original state certainly has merit. You need to get it fixed, and there are people that can do that for you. I have a birth year/quarter Red Tip, that was in decent shape when I bought it (not a personal heirloom). I chose to have it replated, and am delighted I did so. Each morning when I use it, I feel like the original owner may have felt when he reached for his brand new razor 60 years ago. So there are positive aspects to both sides of this issue. I believe you need to go with your gut, follow your instincts. How will you feel when you reach for your razor? This is a tough call, @Jcarrier1990, but whichever you choose, I am certain you will enjoy using your heirloom more than any other razor you have. Best of luck! :001_smile

Personally, if I had a razor with this history, I would prefer to have it fixed, but otherwise in original shape. If the plating is in really bad shape, I might have it replated. I would NOT send a heirloom razor to Delta Echo.

If I wanted a Delta Echo coated razor, I would get another one for sending there.

I have seen other threads that highly recommend Razorplate.com but if I did in fact just wanted a tune up service or fixer upper I know of razor emporium tune up service and north shore razor-rite service are there any others recommended... I don't think the original plating is in bad shape however I'm just getting into vintage. I'll post pics in a little while if I can

I would DEFINITELY keep it original in nickel plating. What I personally would do is send it to Chris Smith aka CAP and have him straighten everything out so it's in proper working order. Then have CAP send it to Chris Evatt for replating. Chris' replating jobs are second to none imo. I wouldn't trust anyone else other than these two fellows with my vintage razors when it comes to fixing/replating them. I'm not saying the Delta Echo or North Shore don't do good work, because I know they do, I would just keep this particular razor in original condition because of sentiment.

Personally, I would keep it in its original color and plating material. My grandfather was incredible man. I have a couple simple things from him (pocket knives) that are basically worthless on the market but priceless to me simply because they were his. I wouldn't want anything changed. Of course, it really is a personal decision, and there is nothing wrong with having it plated in any way that you like.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One move vote for having CAP put the razor in working order and then having razorplate.com do the plating. In the end it will look better than when your grandfather bought it new. I know CAP does not charge much for working on the razor and razorplate.com is reasonable (but he got a waiting list a mile long). I think $$$ wise, you won't end up paying more than if you went with Delta Echo.

Isn't Razor Emporium the company that recently sold Mtn Man a replated old type with a split handle, without disclosing it, then refused to answer any of his emails?

If so, I'd avoid razor emporium.

It depends on what you want. For a collector leave the plating. If you are going to use the razor, then you should consider a total restoration. Either is the correct choice.

I would opt for keeping it original and restored to good working order. Only if the plating was very worn would I consider restoring the original plating. Any modern coating would be a travesty on an heirloom.

I'm getting a Fat Boy back from North Shore any day now. I had Scott "razor-rite" the adjustable and had a Red Tip coated. I can attest to the level of attention and knowledge from my experience; he sent photos of each step and gave me lots of options. I'll post the before and after pics tonight.
Best thing you can do is call or shoot him an email and start the conversation.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I got to be the dissenting voice here. Yes it is an heirloom. That doesn't mean it just HAS to be restored 100% original. If you feel it, go ahead and replate it how you want. I would definitely lean heavily toward Nickel if it needs replating, but Rhodium or Gold are worth consdering as well. Collector's value doesn't matter if it would never be sold. Turning it from an old workhorse to a thing of practical and usable beauty would not necessarily be a bad thing. Think on it, and do it like you feel it.

As an heirloom, it needs to catch the eye of someone in the next generation who will keep it in the family and preferably use it at least occasionally. You might see if any sons, grandsons, nephews, etc are interested in DE shaving, and feel them out on how they feel about pretty vs battle scarred.

Thanks guys for the info. Here's some pics as per the condition of the original plating.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    544.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    517.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    503.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG