What's new

Heel Removal

From time to time I see SRs with the heel removed and I wonder if this serves any purpose. I imagine it might be harder to hone this way?

Seems to have been popular with Japanese barbers., sometimes it was done pretty well but often kind of ham-handedly. You can see how this one has the heel ground forward and also the tang was ground off too...complete with scratch marks up onto the face of the blade. I'm guessing they found the shorter cutting edge easier to use (think of the size of a typical kamisori compared to a western straight). As far as honing, no it doesn't make any difference, in fact it's probably easier because you don't have to worry about honing up onto the stabilizer.
20220212_085119.jpg

Seems to have been popular with Japanese barbers., sometimes it was done pretty well but often kind of ham-handedly. You can see how this one has the heel ground forward and also the tang was ground off too...complete with scratch marks up onto the face of the blade. I'm guessing they found the shorter cutting edge easier to use (think of the size of a typical kamisori compared to a western straight). As far as honing, no it doesn't make any difference, in fact it's probably easier because you don't have to worry about honing up onto the stabilizer.
View attachment 1481240
someone sure hated shoulders on his SRs...

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Japanese barbers did it to make the razor a shortie, others relieve the heel to a lesser extent when the blade wore down to the stabilizer. The latter case will avoid honing the stabilizer if you’re careless honing and developing a heel hook if you are not.

Top Bottom