What's new

Heckle and his Magnificent Moustache!

1. What is your real name?
Tom Brown

2. What is the meaning of your username?
Ah! Back when I was in the US Army, probably around 1986, I transferred from Germany to Ft Campbell, KY. I was a helicopter mechanic and it was a fairly small mechanic community since I was a Powertrain Mechanic. We had three people in my shop. Me and another guy got to be very good friends rather quickly. We were pretty inseparable and our Squad Leader started to refer to us as "Heckle and Jeckle, the two effin magpies". So, we ran with it. I started using Heckle as a user alias on BBS's, IRC, and for everything on the limited internet (as it was back then) and I still use it today!

3. Roughly where on this this big blue ball do you live?
I live in New England in the north eastern part of Connecticut.

4. How old are you?
Why must we all be categorized with numbers. :) I am 52.

5. What do you do in real life?
I am an IT Professional and the resident Cisco/Juniper guy.

6. When did you first start to grow facial hair, and when did it actually start to look decent?
I have been growing facial hair since I was a teen. There was a brief time when I was clean shaven (Basic training). I think it started looking decent (as decent as a military mustache can look) around 1985.

7. What type of facial hair do you wear, and how often do you change it up?
I have sported a mustache in some form for most of my adult life. I had a goatee for a couple of years (1999 - 2001) and have had a Handlebar since early 2014. I don't change things up very much. Some days I use wax, some days not. Sometimes I wax it into a classic handlebar curl, some days I just let it swoop!

8. What types of products do you use, and did you use any before you started hanging around here?
I use mustache wax and have been shaving with a DE and cream for a few years now. Probably about a year before I found this place.

9. Scissors, trimmer, or both?
Trimmer (for what little hair I have left on my head).

10. Brush, comb or both?
Mustache comb. I have tried different makes and the Kent comb is by far the best I have found yet!

11. Do you like to keep your lines nice and tight, or just get them close enough?
I keep the lines of the stache close enough.

12. What is your favorite razor for beard lines?
I don't have a beard so I don't use a razor for that. :)

13. What is the longest you've ever let your facial hair grow?
I have not trimmed my handlebar in around 4 years.

14. Has your facial hair started to turn gray or white, if so how do you feel about the change?
Since my hair is close cut, you can't see any grey hair. Been toying with the idea of shaving my head though. As for the handlebar, yes, it has a "salt and pepper" look.

15. Do you ever shave it all off?
Are you kidding me? Funny thing is this. We have four year old twins and they have never seen me without the handlebar. I also have three grand kids (5, 7 and 8) who have never seen me with it!

16. Best suggestion for growing a handlebar?
When the hairs get long enough to be able to start combing/training, start using wax to get the hairs growing to the sides and down. If you have an urge to trim it, DON'T! If you have an urge cut it off, wait two weeks.

The unwaxed look.

unwaxed.jpg

The Waxed and curled look.
waxed.jpg

Thanks for doing the interview Tom, that is one magnificent mustache! I especially like the unwaxed. I've always wondered if you were named after a magpie.

i am not getting pictures on either of the interviews that have been posted..
that said i can't agree more on the suggestions for growing a handlebar.

Top Bottom