What's new

Heck of a start to vacation!

So never having gone to Disneyland decided to take the kids. Going up the grapevine suddenly without notice the clutch gives out in the van. Kaput. Just 60 miles from Disneyland. Call insurance to have it towed to Valencia transmission shop. There we were unceremoniously dropped in front of Transmission man. Started to call car rental agencies but being that it was Sunday at 5pm they were all closed. Called a cab driver named Dan who happened to have been a Olympic contender in the floor exercise ( never went but made it on the team) and was quite the character. Nice guy. He took us to Bob Hope ( Burbank) airport. There we we're able to rent a new full sized car with only 1600 miles on it. From there to our hotel the Embassy suite where we were greeted with a hot smelly atrium, defunct a/c, a bed that literally bent into a V and one could hear and feel the springs creek and pop LOUDLY. That place smelled like a old lock up unit. Stay away from Downey Embassy and especially room 526. Lol. Cancelled the rest of the week there and FINALLY found a GREAT place compared to our last. Annehiem Marriott's suites. Ahhhhh, is the best I could describe it.

My wife was a little stressed out but I've never let a setback or some adversities prevent me from achieving what I set out to do. Transmission will be fixed tot he tune of $$$$ by vacation end. I'm a LOT poorer bit hey who cares when you in "The happiest place on earth". :lol: I'll be testing that phrase better be poor and happy then rich and miserable.
A trip & anniversary to remember!

Any worthy road stories from B&B?

Last edited:
I love Disneyland, I cant believe you have never gone. we are going at the end of the month because my wife is running in the half marathon there. looking forward to it that's for sure. it is definitely the happiest place on earth. enjoy it and make sure to hit all the good rides.

word of advice, wake up and go to the park when it opens. the first thing you need to do it go to California adventures and stand in line for the cars ride. it fills up fast and you will be in a long line just for the fast pass but trust me its worth it and the line goes fast. right after that go get a fast pass for World of Color which is also in California adventures. plan fast passes accordingly, they can be given out once per person every hour I think. except for world of color which is why I said to go right after and get it. there is also an app you can get that gives you wait times for certain rides. that will give you an idea on what to fast pass and what to just wait in line for. all of this will maximize the time you have that way you and the kids can experience more of the parks. there is so much that I think is a must do that it would need more than one trip lol

don't let all of the previous problems get you down and embrace the magic of Disney.

where did you drive from?
From Sacramento. Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to do that:) This trip was more for our daughter so we only got to ride one adult ride the Indiana Jones. We got SUPER lucky on that as we accidentally got into the fast pass lane and were waved through the two check points without issue. Even then that ride is a ten minutes or more walk and then another twenty in line. That line is a good quarter mile waiting lane!! Crazy. Would not do it if I had to wait in the regular line.
Otherwise I had an Ok time. Nothing that was WOW! but from a kids stand point I can see it's amazing.
California adventure this morning!! Woot!

Good grief, that OP reads like an alternate daft of the original National Lampoon's Vacation. All that was missing was Cousin Eddie and the dog tied to the back bumper...
Our family had scheduled a week's trip to Disney World with accommodations on site, an itinerary all set and flight booked. All of which were done months in advance of the vacation. Which was to be the first week of October. In 2001. Three weeks after 9/11.
To say there were no line-ups to get on the rides would be an understatement.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Hey ... it could be worse:

proxy.php

... and better ...

proxy.php
proxy.php

Have a great time. I used to work with a colleague who's mantra was "It's only money!" He had a lot of it and the more you have, the easier it is to make that statement.

Worst one in short form..18 hours of driving in the rain.. Car broken into.. GPS, Camera and I-Pod stolen. Neighbors in the adjacent condo screamed at the kids for hours at a time. Moved to a different room and toilet leaked. Rained for 4 days straight. Wife has gallbladder attack. Doesn't want to go to hospital in Myrtle Beach..Drive for 18 hours straight home in the fog and rain.. I fell asleep sitting in a wooden chair in the room where she was waiting for surgery.. Gallbladder finally removed after 8 hours in the E-R.. Up for almost 2 days without sleep.. I started to hallucinate and that was the best part of the vacation...I did sleep for 12 hours straight..

That will be a great story you and the kids will talk about for the rest of your life.

I vote for amnesia! Lol....

Have a great time. I used to work with a colleague who's mantra was "It's only money!" He had a lot of it and the more you have, the easier it is to make that statement.

We came SOOOO close to buying a new Toyota Sienna. Dead serious. Lol!! The van was originally parked in the Valencia Toyota then I saw a transmission place less than a two blocks away. If that transmission place hadn't been there I would have! My Sienna has 329K on it and looks and drives new like the day I got it. I keep my vehicles in the best mechanical condition one can ask. I knew eventually the clutch would give just didn't expect it to be on vacation 400 miles away from home. We'll buy a new one next week after this transmission is fixed.

Worst one in short form..18 hours of driving in the rain.. Car broken into.. GPS, Camera and I-Pod stolen. Neighbors in the adjacent condo screamed at the kids for hours at a time. Moved to a different room and toilet leaked. Rained for 4 days straight. Wife has gallbladder attack. Doesn't want to go to hospital in Myrtle Beach..Drive for 18 hours straight home in the fog and rain.. I fell asleep sitting in a wooden chair in the room where she was waiting for surgery.. Gallbladder finally removed after 8 hours in the E-R.. Up for almost 2 days without sleep.. I started to hallucinate and that was the best part of the vacation...I did sleep for 12 hours straight..

Aya.. that is without a doubt the worst. Glad your wife & you is ok.

Last edited:
Radiator springs baby!! 50's music, milkshakes and a whole lot of shak'n going on!!

Attachments

• $IMG_20140813_134802_679.jpg
    $IMG_20140813_134802_679.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 41
  • $IMG_20140813_223713_661.jpg
    $IMG_20140813_223713_661.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 41
  • $IMG_20140813_223403_635.jpg
    $IMG_20140813_223403_635.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 41
  • $IMG_20140813_223432_608.jpg
    $IMG_20140813_223432_608.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hang on, you are going to spend the $$$ to fix the transmission and then just buy a new car anyway? I'd scrap that puppy and buy a new car there and drive it home.

Enjoy DL. I've been to WDW many times but never DL. I hear it is 80% of the stuff on 5% of the space :)

Hang on, you are going to spend the $$$ to fix the transmission and then just buy a new car anyway? I'd scrap that puppy and buy a new car there and drive it home.

Enjoy DL. I've been to WDW many times but never DL. I hear it is 80% of the stuff on 5% of the space :)

I hear you. That's what I would have done too except now seeing my daughter has just had a new baby we're going to give her this one. At the moment she's driving a compact that I'm not all that comfortable with and for safety sake I this this Sienna would be better for her. I wouldn't give her anything I didn't trust. That engine has not leaked one bit of anything is clean as a whistle and is still strong. I don't fault the tranny/clutch for konking out at 329k. Just wish I could have predicted when. Also as my daughter is wanting a bigger more reliable ride so back home it has to go.

HOME!!!!

As I write I have my Grandson on my knees facing me with all the family safe & sound. Nothing like home.

Top Bottom