What's new

Heavy versus light handle.

I prefer a heavy longish handle on my shavers due to haveing carpel tunnel in my wrists and also white finger makes gripping razors easier for me.
But i keep reading that a heavy handle makes your razor more aggressive not sure i understand how it would do this .
Surely its the weight of the head that does the cutting.curious as ive just got my first 1912 gem blade razor ive never used a gem blade before .
Ive orderd grub screws so i can use one of my heavy handles on it ive also shimmed the blade .
Itll be ok wont it.sammy.

Offhand, the only thing I can think of is the effort needed to overcome the weight of the razor on an upstroke (like on the neck) might cause some to inadvertently apply more pressure than advisable.

More experienced users might have better insight however.

I prefer heavier handles ... but not the heaviest.
A heavier handle will make a razor more aggressive, but it is not the only factor involved.
Other contributing factors include head design, DE blade selected, and individual user Technique.

More important than actual mass of the handle, is how well it is balanced.
This will determine the ergonomics of how well it shaves,
and it would be a key point to consider to eliminate fatigue, carpal tunnel syndrome, and other issues.

Look at Safety Razor Grips in the shave wiki.
Safety Razor Grips
These are simple techniques for holding any razor to provide maximum control with minimum fatigue.

I prefer a heavier handle, as the weight does the work to mow down your blade. However, I would echo the comments above that technique is a key ingredient to prevent cuts or razor burn. A light touch is crucial.

I also prefer heavier handles which make it more easy for me to, "allow the razor to do the work," rather than having me apply pressure. It just makes using good technique easier for me!

You definitely don't want to use pressure, and with a heavier handle, it's easier to, IMHO.
How does the weight make it easier to increase pressure? People keep repeating that statement. I can see on a north - south pass the weight may come into play except under the chin area. In all other passes the weight has to be supported and the razor applied to the skin.
I prefer a heavier handle, as the weight does the work to mow down your blade. However, I would echo the comments above that technique is a key ingredient to prevent cuts or razor burn. A light touch is crucial.
As before, how does the weight do the work. I can see the balance may be different and people like a different balance point. A longer handle may be preferably for large hands.
Lightly gliding the blade along the skin regardless of razor orientation would seem the best action for a comfortable shave. That is very much related to how the handle is gripped I would suggest.

I think a light handle allows for greater precision and control, and if it's on the longer side, even better, to provide more change-ups in grip. To me, the shave is all about 'feel', about precision and control. It's the blade that does the cutting. Feedback & 'feel' are better transferred through a light handle than a heavy one, (imho). To each their own.

Most people seem to equate heavy handles to long handles which is not my ideal set up. I like a shorter stainless steel handle to get my heft while still being able to nimbly maneuver around my face. Food for thought.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

There is no perfection (well maybe), but this is close, for me... Feather AS-D1 (head) - its own beautifully machined, perfectly balanced SS handle comes in 2nd place for me (as good as it IS) in favor of this longer, lighter, practically half the weight - 38gm Rosewood handle, that gives me a terrific purchase, feel and control. Lighter is better. :)
proxy.php

I forgot to mention I dislike heavy handles. It doesn't feel comfortable to hold and it makes some of my razors too aggressive. However, once below a certain weight, the razor doesn't become less aggressive.

I find balance to be much more important than weight. To me a razor should be a little head heavy.

I prefer a heavier DE razor (SR as well)...and I prefer a longer handle. Just preference...somehow it feels more balanced in my hand.

I definitely think the razor should have some weight to it. The aluminum razors are extremely light which is why I really don't like them. I'd stay away from aluminum DE's and SE's if you like heavier razors...but with any and all things YMMV.

Oddly enough, my best shaving and most comfortable (to hold and use) combination is an aluminum head on a 90mm SS handle. Counter intuitive and not something I expected to like but tried it as an experiment and it worked out great.

So, light head, heavy handle.

Testing out a Merkur 37c right now, and I have to say, I already miss my stainless handles. Give me a bulldog any day. I just have more control, and, my hand is more steady.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom