What's new

Heavy Razor-head suggestions

I've been shaving for 12 years, but moved to DE just a year back. I've just about perfected my technique, but I find myself leaning towards heavier razors. And I mean the ones with heavier razor heads, not just a handle the size of a toothbrush. I've seen threads where people have asked about heavier razors, but get suggested fat or long handles. But I'd specifically like to know about razors with heavier heads as I like an aggressive shave every couple of days.

A shave where the razor just glides off my face and neck, mowing down the hair with the sound like a velcro strap being gently unwrapped is pure bliss to me, hence the love for heavier razors.

Fatip/Schone razors have brass heads. I don't know if I'd call them "heavy" but they are a bit more than most others that I use.

I'd imagine most of the stainless steel razors are going to be on the heavier side of things, too. Rockwell, Timeless, etc. I've not tried one, yet, but I'm sure there will be somebody with one that will weigh in.

Fatip/Schone razors have brass heads. I don't know if I'd call them "heavy" but they are a bit more than most others that I use.

I'd imagine most of the stainless steel razors are going to be on the heavier side of things, too. Rockwell, Timeless, etc. I've not tried one, yet, but I'm sure there will be somebody with one that will weigh in.
Thanks GW! The 'Stainless Steel' razors being heavier is quite informative and I'm sure I'd come across more brands who use them.

Look for a CNC machined head stainless razor.

One like this will wear you out.

proxy.php

If you can still find the Vision 2000 it has some serious weight

It's the one on the far left

proxy.php

proxy.php

Look for a CNC machined head stainless razor.

One like this will wear you out.

proxy.php

If you can still find the Vision 2000 it has some serious weight

It's the one on the far left

proxy.php

proxy.php
God sir, you scared me with the vision! It looks like an upside-down d*ldo! However, since I want to retain use of my wrists, I think I'm better off with a Futur. Thank you for the pics!

A Gillette Fatboy has a nice head heavy balance, and when set to 9 will take care of up to a weeks growth.

God sir, you scared me with the vision! It looks like an upside-down d*ldo! However, since I want to retain use of my wrists, I think I'm better off with a Futur. Thank you for the pics!

Vision is as nimble as a drum majorette. The balance is so tuned that you can twirl it like a baton. It has all the bumps in all the right places for perfect balance with any grip.

Truly a work of art and it is one of only two of my many DE razors to have earned a permanent place on my shave counter (the other is the Futar)

proxy.php

Vision is as nimble as a drum majorette. The balance is so tuned that you can twirl it like a baton. It has all the bumps in all the right places for perfect balance with any grip.

Truly a work of art and it is one of only two of my many DE razors to have earned a permanent place on my shave counter (the other is the Futar)

proxy.php
Sadly, I don't think I'd be able to buy a Merkur Vision. I'm from India and these razors are very hard to get. And I looked up an old eBay listing from some guy, and in a country where everything is dirt cheap, this razor literally costs more than a prosthetic arm and leg! :a15:
I've ordered a Futur clone from Aliexpress. I've read those things weigh a bit less than original, but are heavy nonetheless and do the same job. I plan on using it for a few months to see if it would be worth getting the original.

Sadly, I don't think I'd be able to buy a Merkur Vision. I'm from India and these razors are very hard to get. And I looked up an old eBay listing from some guy, and in a country where everything is dirt cheap, this razor literally costs more than a prosthetic arm and leg! :a15:
I've ordered a Futur clone from Aliexpress. I've read those things weigh a bit less than original, but are heavy nonetheless and do the same job. I plan on using it for a few months to see if it would be worth getting the original.

Be careful of your fingers and thumb. Futur is known to bite the hand that holds it.

Advice needed by new Futur user

The Merkur Progress has a heavy head as well. I think you are on the right track with adjustables if your looking for more weight.

This is an update on my search so far:

I got the Qshave Futur clone from AliExpress and it does a fantastic job for it's cost. I do have to ratchet it up to 6 to get rid of a 2 day stubble, but it works fine. The razor is top-heavy which is what I was looking for and it has probably been my most comfortable shave so far. My only concern is that this is not aggressive enough, and I couldn't get a BBS, no matter how hard I tried. But the comfort I got from this razor was just superb, so I'm sure this razor will get some heavy usage in the future.

I also tried out the Gillette Red tip from a friend's vintage collection. Maybe it's just me, but that razor felt too tiny in my hands. It was aggressive enough, but I did suffer some cuts as I wasn't able to figure out a comfortable shaving angle. Though the overall weight is much lesser than many other razors, the weight up top is substantial, but I don't think this is the one for me.

I used Astra SPs for both razors and they were fresh blades each time. For now, I favour the Futur clone, but not enough to displace my daily razor, which is the Bombay Shaving Company razor (http://www.indianluxetravellers.com...bay-shaving-company-review-4-of-1-768x513.jpg)

I just picked up the Ikon sbs head and it's very heavy. It also caps off the blade tabes (which I like).

Just bought a Timeless Bronze and it's by far the heaviest razor I own. Heavy head and handle. It's a mild razor, but the extra weight, in my opinion, helps it shave very efficiently.

Top Bottom