What's new

Heavy Duty DE Razor - modern blades

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
There are two historical threads which ask this question, but they are short and get off on tangents about axe heads and post production handles. I mean, if post production weight was the only consideration, you could just take an aluminum Tech head and add a lead handle right?

A heavy head is probably as significant as just having a heavy handle, symmetry is important with a razor so that it doesn't have a severe imbalance between head and handle.

What is the heaviest DE razor made, vintage or modern, with stock head and handle that accepts modern DE blades without modification?

I may decide to mix and match at some point, taking a great handle and adding a great head to it, so I'm looking for the ultimate beefy DE razor which will be my go to razor for all eternity.

If cost was not an issue - what heavy duty razors are at the top of the list?

The heaviest I know is the Pils 101NE at 123g, my Rockwell 6S is 118(r1+r3) to 120g(r5+r6). Do note though, the PILS is 2-piece, the Rockwell is 3-piece.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
The heaviest I know is the Pils 101NE at 123g, my Rockwell 6S is 118(r1+r3) to 120g(r5+r6). Do note though, the PILS is 2-piece, the Rockwell is 3-piece.

Thanks! Beautiful head, rather bland handle though!
+1 for head on Pils, -1 for handle on Pils

proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO it’s not about weight but technique.
Agreed. The WCS 175s will shave like a potato peeler without proper technique.
Respect it and it'll give you the smoothest shave you have had.
It's priced like a sore pecker...can't beat it!
Sorry for the colorful comment, owner at an antique store dropped that one on me the other day. It worked, I bought it lol.

Top Bottom