What's new

Heavy blade oil

If there a heavier blade oil that is still food safe than mineral oil to protect blades. Or at least nothing with chemicals. A natural oil.

Yes there is mate called Frog lube

FrogLube® is a cutting edge biodegradable lubricant made from “USDA Certified Food-Grade”. All ingredients are produced in the USA using a proprietary formula. It is a non-toxic substance that dissolves carbon on contact. It has a heavy specific gravity, which enables it to ‘season’ the metal by absorption deep into the pores. Using FrogLube® results in a durable dry slick wax-like surface that reduces friction, eliminates fouling, and destroys rust. FrogLube® is safe for plastic, urethane, nylon, and wood.

FrogLube® will not harm the environment. It can be disposed of without the need for prohibitive HAZMAT controls. Employees will be protected from the effects of working in and around toxic chemicals.

FROGLUBE® IS A BIODEGRADABLE LUBRICANT, CLEANER AND PROTECTANT.
CONTAINS NO PETROLEUM OR WATER.
NON-HAZARDOUS IN EVERY WAY.
PLEASANT MINT SMELL.

20180620_170011.jpg
20180620_170050.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Not sure that I would want to use something that "dissolves carbon on contact". The carbon in blade steel is most important for grain size and hardness. That's why most are made of high carbon steel.

Not sure that I would want to use something that "dissolves carbon on contact". The carbon in blade steel is most important for grain size and hardness. That's why most are made of high carbon steel.

It is safe on razors if that was the case you would never use Oil, as that also removes carbon from the engine ie soot so being used for guns don't you get soot from the burning gunpowder.

And yes I use it on all of my razors and not had a problem yet....

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Washing carbon away, as engine oils do, is not the same as "dissolving carbon on contact".

Maybe Frog Lub really doesn't do what it claims.

Well if your a believer in mineral oil that is the same, when they say removes carbon on contact it does not remove carbon that is in the steel but what is deposited on the surface that is what it removes..

So if it's safe to use on a £4000 gun its sure is safe to use on a £200 razor

Just to add if you have carbon Particles on your razor then you have a big problem Sir

But if you read it says Particles and not what is embedded into the steel so it does not make false claims as you say

Last edited:
yep you could go with Ballistol oil that is safe and food grade.

• Ballistol Oil 50 ml fluid is one of the few alkaline oils
  • It does not resinify even in decades, is complete biodegradable, skin-friendly and food-safe
  • Ballistol is a penetrating oil that creeps into the finest angles
and you can get it from here at Amazon

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ballistol (which is mineral oil) or Frog Lube (all other oils and lubes must be removed first) are fine. I don’t know what you define as ‘chemical’ since most everything is, but you can use food grade silicone oil, available in different weights - it’s the same oil that’s in the ‘razor socks’ and gun/knife sleeves.

Yes there is mate called Frog lube

FrogLube® is a cutting edge biodegradable lubricant made from “USDA Certified Food-Grade”. All ingredients are produced in the USA using a proprietary formula. It is a non-toxic substance that dissolves carbon on contact. It has a heavy specific gravity, which enables it to ‘season’ the metal by absorption deep into the pores. Using FrogLube® results in a durable dry slick wax-like surface that reduces friction, eliminates fouling, and destroys rust. FrogLube® is safe for plastic, urethane, nylon, and wood.

FrogLube® will not harm the environment. It can be disposed of without the need for prohibitive HAZMAT controls. Employees will be protected from the effects of working in and around toxic chemicals.

FROGLUBE® IS A BIODEGRADABLE LUBRICANT, CLEANER AND PROTECTANT.
CONTAINS NO PETROLEUM OR WATER.
NON-HAZARDOUS IN EVERY WAY.
PLEASANT MINT SMELL.

View attachment 1104442View attachment 1104443

removes carbon fouling from gunpowder........like on these.

vvvvvvvv

20170610_081840.jpg

camo

I second Ballistol. It's a lubricant and rust inhibitor. As mentioned it doesn't get gummy and is biodegradeable. I've been using it over 10 years and it hasn't gotten discolored either.

yep you could go with Ballistol oil that is safe and food grade.

• Ballistol Oil 50 ml fluid is one of the few alkaline oils
  • It does not resinify even in decades, is complete biodegradable, skin-friendly and food-safe
  • Ballistol is a penetrating oil that creeps into the finest angles
and you can get it from here at Amazon

Is ballistal thicker than normal mineral oil?

Basically when I wipe mineral oil on my blades it just beads up. I am wanting something with a heavier gravity so it will leave a film on the blade so I dont get rust.

Just thought will balistol damage gold etching on blades?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Ballistol is thin.

You can buy heavy mineral oil. Also check out Birchwood Casey Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIG). This stuff used to be the gold standard in the olden days of firearms.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Ballistol has a signature scent. If part of why you shave is for a person physically close to you, other options might rule the roost.

I'm gonna say something controversial now.
I never oil my blades, ever.
I tried it once, maybe I did it wrong, but after not using it for a while I pulled it back out, and the oil had gunked up and it was a big mess to clean.
I used mineral oil, I know I probably did something wrong, but I never oiled any of my razors since, and I have never had any issues what so ever. No waterspots, pitting, rust etc. Summers where I live get really humid, and the air is super dry in the winter.. Haven't noticed a difference on my straights despite the humidity change from summer/winter.

I use ballistol oil. I have been using it for 10 years now. Even if I leave razors unused for a year or so it easily wipes off.
I put a dab on my finger and wipe it across the blade and it does the job. Bonus is that if there is any water left on the blade it gets caught by the oil and beads away from the blade.

Top Bottom