What's new

******* Heatwave

As I sit here at my computer, after another sleepless night due to the heat, the heavens literally opened and for the briefest of periods it poured with rain; and I was ecstatic, thinking this heralded the start of the thunderstorms that were supposed to end this oppressive heatwave. Alas, it is not to be, the rain has stopped already and I can feel the heat and the humidity beginning to rise already.
I have already endured the most unutterably miserable week of my life due to this uncharacteristic heat and I don't think I can take any more. I am English, that means that I am used to, at most, a few weeks of moderate sunshine, in between months of rain and cold winters. I am not equipped to handle this heat.
I have already resigned myself to the prospect of not being able to sleep again tonight, but the purpose of this post was to ask if anyone had any advice for dealing with the temperature.
]HELP ME NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE! Warm regards,
Alex

I cannot live without air conditioning. 'nuff said. When we were growing up, our house was the only one where you needed a sweater in the middle of summer.

I feel your pain. Its going to be another 100+ (Degree F, 37+ C) day here in southern Texas and the air conditioner is out in my office...its 82F in here and its only 10am. Fans, cold water or lightly-sweetened sports drink, and light, loose clothing is about all you can do short of checking into a hotel (that has air conditioning) for the night.

--Mark

(PS: And have a Guinness. It may not help, but it couldn't hurt. :001_rolle )

Okay Alex, you asked for it! Start rant. I hate the heat. I worked outdoors in our Kansas summers for 15 years. Did I mention I hate it? Just last week it nudged 100F. I hate it. The humidity was unbearable. It will be this way til late September. Did I mention I hate it? I am mostly Celtic and show it. Blonde hair, blue eyes, light skinned. I can tan but did I mention I burn like Hades for a month before I tan up and that I always worry that skin cancer will visit me later in life like it did my Dad? I always dream of western Montana this time of year. I absolutely love the fall and have no problem with the winter. Woolen sweaters, pipes full of Latkia tobacco, wool caps, brisk north breezes, DRY air instead of this ultra humid swamp breeze that comes from the gulf of Mexico each year. The older I get the worse the heat messes with me. I know this is exactly the opposite of most people who crave warmth as they age. May it never afflict me. This sweating five minutes after taking a shower is totally bollocksed up. We usually have decent springs and falls in Kansas. The winters can be very cold and the summers are blast furnaces. It's one of the few places on earth that at times, you'll tun on a heater in the morning and the A/C in the afternoon. I've seen 60 degree swings in temps from morning to afternoon. It's not real common but it does happen. 30-40 degrees swings are common. We had a rare cool morning this AM. It was in the mid 50's. This afternoon it's in the upper 80's. 35 degree temp swing. Yeesh! I don't know how far away you are from the Scottish highlands but take a day trip and enjoy those cold breezes. It will make you feel better. At least for a little while. Too bad the western border of Montana is nearly a thousand miles away or believe me, I'd visit OFTEN in the summer months. Okay, end of rant. I did hear good news a few weeks ago. Some sort of hurricane expert was comaparing weather patterns and insists we are heading for a cooling period of the earth. He based this on 30-40 year temperature and hurricane patterns. He seemed to think we were heading for cooler earth temps the next few decades. I bloody well hope it starts SOON.

Regards, Todd

A cold shower before bedtime and a fan seem to help. Growing up in Texas, we did not have airconditioning. We survived. Good luck.

Phog Allen said:
Okay Alex, you asked for it! Start rant. I hate the heat. I worked outdoors in our Kansas summers for 15 years. Did I mention I hate it? Just last week it nudged 100F. I hate it. The humidity was unbearable. It will be this way til late September. Did I mention I hate it? I am mostly Celtic and show it. Blonde hair, blue eyes, light skinned. I can tan but did I mention I burn like Hades for a month before I tan up and that I always worry that skin cancer will visit me later in life like it did my Dad? I always dream of western Montana this time of year. I absolutely love the fall and have no problem with the winter. Woolen sweaters, pipes full of Latkia tobacco, wool caps, brisk north breezes, DRY air instead of this ultra humid swamp breeze that comes from the gulf of Mexico each year. The older I get the worse the heat messes with me. I know this is exactly the opposite of most people who crave warmth as they age. May it never afflict me. This sweating five minutes after taking a shower is totally bollocksed up. We usually have decent springs and falls in Kansas. The winters can be very cold and the summers are blast furnaces. It's one of the few places on earth that at times, you'll tun on a heater in the morning and the A/C in the afternoon. I've seen 60 degree swings in temps from morning to afternoon. It's not real common but it does happen. 30-40 degrees swings are common. We had a rare cool morning this AM. It was in the mid 50's. This afternoon it's in the upper 80's. 35 degree temp swing. Yeesh! I don't know how far away you are from the Scottish highlands but take a day trip and enjoy those cold breezes. It will make you feel better. At least for a little while. Too bad the western border of Montana is nearly a thousand miles away or believe me, I'd visit OFTEN in the summer months. Okay, end of rant. I did hear good news a few weeks ago. Some sort of hurricane expert was comaparing weather patterns and insists we are heading for a cooling period of the earth. He based this on 30-40 year temperature and hurricane patterns. He seemed to think we were heading for cooler earth temps the next few decades. I bloody well hope it starts SOON.

Regards, Todd
Come on Todd.. How do you really feel about the heat?:lol:
From somewhere south of Kansas and north of Hell!

I have this vision of Todd, standing alone in a Kansas wasteland after a nuclear winter, saying "now you're talkin'!"

Scotto said:
I have this vision of Todd, standing alone in a Kansas wasteland after a nuclear winter, saying "now you're talkin'!"

What he is saying is "wow, I can still look out across the horizon and see the back of my head"!

Now, that's flat land!

Randy

Top Bottom