What's new

Heating Water

...Hows it working out Mike?

I have only used it 8 or ten times, but so far it is good. It makes a bit of noise when it is heating, almost a roaring sound. You can tell it is all business. I notice that it reaches a boil and about 10 seconds later it turns itself off. I have not figured out how it dose this, but I have let it go each time to make sure the safety feature works. It boils 1.2 liters in about 4.5 minutes. that is starting with fresh cold water. It is convienient that the pot lifts off the base and is cordless for filling and pouring. for $26 I give it two thumbs up.

I have only used it 8 or ten times, but so far it is good. It makes a bit of noise when it is heating, almost a roaring sound. You can tell it is all business. I notice that it reaches a boil and about 10 seconds later it turns itself off. I have not figured out how it dose this, but I have let it go each time to make sure the safety feature works. It boils 1.2 liters in about 4.5 minutes. that is starting with fresh cold water. It is convienient that the pot lifts off the base and is cordless for filling and pouring. for $26 I give it two thumbs up.

Great to hear its working out. I have a similar unit for about 3 years now and it's still working fine.

I may wind up with both the Panasonic Thermo Pot and the Kamjove. The Kamjove wins on style points.

That Kamijove is a handsom pot. looking at the link, it falls a little short in describing the product. What is the pot itself made of? how long does it take to boil water? Since it is using inductive heating where eddy currents are induced in the pot itself, it must at least have a metal bottom. I thought it was interesting to see where they listed the 10 features of the pot, that at feature 6 they simply repeated features already mentioned till they got to 10. If well designed, i think inductive 1000 watt heater could be more efficient than a 1500 watt resistive heater. they can be more efficient because they actually cause current to flow in the pot itself which cause it to heat quickly as opposed to a resistive heater that produces heat at the element which through some path find it's way to the pot and water. but it is possible to have a poorly designed inductive heater that is no more efficient than or possibly less efficient than a resistive heater.

Last edited:
The specs on some of those Kamjovs show 220V so they may not be US compliant.

Has anyone info on the spirit lamp type heaters? I have done some searches and cannot seem to find many. I would like one for the garden. Seems more "right" than an extension cord. :tongue_sm

I use a 50 year old copper kettle on a gas range. Until that dies, it will never be replaced. It heats faster than my neighbor's electric and holds more water.

And that's the rub for me when it comes to heating water, going to the stove to get it. With a couple of the other ways of doing it I could have it at the location where I am brewing and drinking the tea. With tea I find myself doing multiple brews (especially with puerh) so going to the kitchen each time for hot water is a drag.

My whistling tea kettle is more than 40 years old, and it still whistles. But I want something more practical for my needs.

Has anyone info on the spirit lamp type heaters? I have done some searches and cannot seem to find many. I would like one for the garden. Seems more "right" than an extension cord. :tongue_sm

I have seen those spirit burners in older tea pots. I got the impression that due to their small size they were used to keep already brewed tea warm. would you use one to heat water from the start?

I have seen those spirit burners in older tea pots. I got the impression that due to their small size they were used to keep already brewed tea warm. would you use one to heat water from the start?

That is my impression Mike, I would if necessary, warm the water in the house and transport to the garden.

There has been this ongoing misconception about microwave cooking for years because people don't understand how it works. There is one point to grasp here and that is that there isn't any sort of radiation involved, and certainly nothing that is nuclear in nature. It is all electrical. The energy that actually cooks the food is high powered radio waves in the microwave spectrum. The radio energy is not absorbed by the food because it passes right through it while heating it up. There isn't any residual energy left in it at all.

Technically, that's not correct. Microwaves are, in fact, radiation. It's non-ionizing radiation but still radiation.

That is my impression Mike, I would if necessary, warm the water in the house and transport to the garden.

Jim

I don't know if the home made alcohol stoves would suit your need, but if you know any ultra lite back packers, they will have knowledge of them. here is a link. I have seen some very effective and professionally executed home made stoves. very light and use denatured alcohol or gas line antifreeze for fuel. These little stoves made from soda cans will boil water pretty quick.

http://zenstoves.net/Stoves.htm

Jim
would this do the trick?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVkW2YONyYM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I just picked up a second hand electric kettle. How do you go about cleaning it really well? Coffee machine cleaner? Vinegar mixture?

Top Bottom