What's new

Heating Water

So now that I have been sucked into the world of Pu ruh teas and and French Pressed coffee, I was wondering what everone uses to heat up thier water?

I have a small glass tea pot and a nice copper tea pot that I have been heating water with on the stove.

I have been thinking purchasing an electric tea pot. I think it would be faster and also safe a little on electricity.

Thoughts anyone?

I use a Bodum Ibis -- a cordless, electric kettle (mine's in black, but also available in white). I'll bring a 10-cup "load" to boiling, for a full 32oz Bodum French-press.

Works fine... been using it every day for the past 1-1/2 years, without any problems. Paid $37.50 for it (new), from Sweet Maria's.

I have been researching this very question myself for the past few weeks. I think that what I'll go for is one of these. The teachat people seem to prefer the Zojirushi brand, but it costs twice as much and seems to have all of the same features as the Panasonic. It would also serve to meet my hot water needs for other things, such as the morning breakfast, coffee, or even for shaving.

I did come across a temperature controlled cordless kettle that was very elegant. It was teapot shaped with a graceful curved spout, very nicely designed to be used on the table top. Trouble is that I didn't bookmark it so I'm in the process of hunting down that link again.

Otherwise, there is a huge variety of cordless water kettles that would do the trick. Most are not temperature controlled like my other examples, but some are.

Boy JP that's a pretty fancy rig for heating water. I was thinking more along the lines of a tea pot style. I hope you find that link. It sounds about right.

That's pretty cute, Jim. Can you set the temperature to keep the water at?

This is what it says at the Puerh shop

It features:
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

• [*]
    Detachable base. Cordless Kettle removes for convenient pouring and serving
    [*]
    Stainless steel body for easy cleaning and durability
    [*]
    360° cordless free rotation for easy placement of the kettle on its base
    [*]
    Three operational modes easily selected: Auto, Manual and off. Auto mode will heat the water to boiling and keep long constant temperature with thermostat
    [*]
    Advanced Safety feature will turn off the unit when the water in the kettle is low or empty, or when you lift the kettle off the base in any operation mode
    [*]
    Anti-slide rubber rings on the base also provides insulation for additional safety.
    [*]
    Use the latest energy-saving material for electric heating tube that controls temperature constantly and automatically.
    [*]
    Special waterproof rings & auto drainage hole on the base, when the pot overflowed, it can automatically drain off the surface water of the base to protect the circuit control system.
    [*]
    Comfortable insulation handle is designed based on aesthetics & somatology

[/FONT]

This is what it says at the Puerh shop

It features:
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]

• [*]
    Detachable base. Cordless Kettle removes for convenient pouring and serving
    [*]
    Stainless steel body for easy cleaning and durability
    [*]
    360° cordless free rotation for easy placement of the kettle on its base
    [*]
    Three operational modes easily selected: Auto, Manual and off. Auto mode will heat the water to boiling and keep long constant temperature with thermostat
    [*]
    Advanced Safety feature will turn off the unit when the water in the kettle is low or empty, or when you lift the kettle off the base in any operation mode
    [*]
    Anti-slide rubber rings on the base also provides insulation for additional safety.
    [*]
    Use the latest energy-saving material for electric heating tube that controls temperature constantly and automatically.
    [*]
    Special waterproof rings & auto drainage hole on the base, when the pot overflowed, it can automatically drain off the surface water of the base to protect the circuit control system.
    [*]
    Comfortable insulation handle is designed based on aesthetics & somatology
[/FONT]

"...aesthetics & somatology"

wow... I khapped "aesthetics", but "somatology"? So, the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary gave me this:

: a branch of anthropology primarily concerned with the comparative study of human evolution, variation,
and classification especially through measurement and observation​

Jeez... and here they had me with: Comfortable insulation handle. I guess that's why the price is so high! :smartass:

That is one great looking teapot!
If only I did not have something at home and at work. One of them may have to experience a mysterious life-ending malfunction. :lol:

I may wind up with both the Panasonic Thermo Pot and the Kamjove. The Kamjove wins on style points.

I use a Breville Ikon cordless kettle that will boil water like crazy.

Works great for pu-erh teas. It is not temperature controlled but I decided I would not pay for that feature.

I use something like this:
proxy.php

on something like this:
proxy.php

Of course, with the pending natural gas cartel, it's gonna more costly, but I still prefer it to electric.

Top Bottom