What's new

Heated shaving cream?

Came across something interesting earlier yesterday that caught my eye. I've heard of cooling shaving creams with menthol or peppermint in them but I've never heard of a heated shaving cream. Not sure if this is a new product as I haven't seen it or heard about it before now but Van der Hagen seems to have come out with a patent pending heated shaving cream. $8 for a tube and I'm kinda interested in trying it out.
Screenshot_20200229-033515_My H-E-B.jpg

If you want heated shaving lather, get a scuttle.

The list of ingredients is: Zeolite, PEG-4, PEG-8, PVP, Glycerin, Polyacrylic Acid, Fragrance (Parfum). Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Decyl Glucoside, Sodium Lauroyl Lactylate, Cyclomethicone, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Silicone Quaternium-17, Acrylic Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Aminomethyl Propanol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Methyl Ionones, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexane Carboxaldehyde, Benzyl Salicylate, D-Limonene, Linalool

Thus, basically, this is a chemical soup. Personally, I would avoid it.

Presumably, it is the zeolite that causes the exothermic reaction (heating) when mixed with water. Since zeolites also possess hemostatic properties, they might help stop bleeding if you nick yourself while shaving, but I do not know if the concentration is such that this might occur.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
"The Hot One". I vaguely remember it, but never tried it.

proxy.php
I don’t remember it being bad. Actually, I don’t remember a thing about it. Only used one can. Perhaps it was the price or something. Shaving wasn’t a particularly “special” thing back then and price was the driver for a daily must do.

I've actually been playing on and off with a can of Barbasol (Original) inside a Hot-Lather machine I bought for like $9-$10 (new). Once I learned to put the Gel nozzle on, to slow the cream and allow more heat, as well as pressing the on/heat button again after the light goes solid (up to temp), which causes it to blink some more, and up the temperature. It's actually a pretty nice experience.....have to love hot lather, that actually steams a bit coming out of the nozzle on those cold mornings.

Much to my surprise, the Barbasol actually works fairly well. My reference is Caties Bubbles, Stirling Soap, Pacific Shaving, Tabac, and PDP 63. While not quite as slick, it's really thick and gives good cushion. - Not much scent to my nose, but oh that warm feeling as you apply it. (I have a scuttle, and the machine gets warmer than my scuttle).

If you have a metal or ceramic bowl, you can place it on a coffee mug warmer....just be sure the outlet at your sink is protected by a GCFI before doing so. Yields really hot lather, in fact you may need to unplug it before finishing the shave. - Again, make sure it's a protected outlet.

Next up will be stuffing a can of Proraso or some scented higher end lather into the Conair.

I've actually been playing on and off with a can of Barbasol (Original) inside a Hot-Lather machine I bought for like $9-$10 (new). Once I learned to put the Gel nozzle on, to slow the cream and allow more heat, as well as pressing the on/heat button again after the light goes solid (up to temp), which causes it to blink some more, and up the temperature. It's actually a pretty nice experience.....have to love hot lather, that actually steams a bit coming out of the nozzle on those cold mornings.

Much to my surprise, the Barbasol actually works fairly well. My reference is Caties Bubbles, Stirling Soap, Pacific Shaving, Tabac, and PDP 63. While not quite as slick, it's really thick and gives good cushion. - Not much scent to my nose, but oh that warm feeling as you apply it. (I have a scuttle, and the machine gets warmer than my scuttle).

If you have a metal or ceramic bowl, you can place it on a coffee mug warmer....just be sure the outlet at your sink is protected by a GCFI before doing so. Yields really hot lather, in fact you may need to unplug it before finishing the shave. - Again, make sure it's a protected outlet.

Next up will be stuffing a can of Proraso or some scented higher end lather into the Conair.

Barbasol, especially in the Extra Moisturizing formula, is the only canned foam or gel I will use. I prefer building a lather from soap using a brush, but I keep a can of Barbasol in the shower for those instances when I need to shave in a hurry using a cartridge razor. Fortunately, that is a rare occurrence.

RayClem, that's absolutely why I have that Barbasol in the hot-lather. One, it's nice on a cold morning, but there are mornings that I need to get up and out early and quick. - There's no real cleanup with the Barbasol, just rinse my hand & razor under running water. It's also a smear on, and swipe away with my OneBlade, Injector, or Rockwell.

I also admit to using it for touch-ups, after I've already cleaned the brush and then find a missed spot while apply AS or Witch Hazel.

Top Bottom