What's new

Heard about the "One that got away"?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
🦞 Hmmm...surely a 'Whale' of a tale. Suddenly, after viewing the pic of Mr. Packard w/ a monster Lobster (look at 'em claws), I'm hungry for Lobster. :drool:

By Jaclyn Peiser - 14 Jun 2020 - Washington Post

"Josiah Mayo surveyed the ocean’s surface on Friday, watching the bubbles that emerged from his fishing partner’s underwater breathing gear. It was Michael Packard’s second plunge into the ocean off the coast of Cape Cod that morning and he had already caught about 100 pounds of lobster.

1623797844006.png

But the bubbles suddenly stopped. Then, an explosion of white water erupted from the sea.

Mayo wasn’t sure what he was witnessing. A burly fish thrashed before him and for a split second he thought it was a great white shark. Then Mayo saw its flukes cut through the water and observed it violently shake its head.

“This was a humpback whale,” Mayo, 43, told himself, as he recounted in an interview with The Washington Post. “It was a relief because it wasn’t a shark, which meant Michael would be all done at that point.”

Moments later there was another mighty boil of white water and Packard soared out of the ocean and flopped back down. Mayo sped the boat up next to Packard, who was floating in a puffed-out drysuit thanks to the whale’s speedy ascent to the surface.

“I was inside it. I was inside its mouth,” Packard, 56, told Mayo. “It tried to eat me.”

Packard’s harrowing tale is rare and unheard of among the experienced divers of Provincetown, Mass. Humpback whales don’t harm people on purpose, said Mayo, who worked on whale-watching boats as a teenager and whose father is a premier whale scientist.
Mayo said his father and his colleagues believe the only logical explanation was that the whale swallowed Packard by accident.

“It took [Packard] from behind and it seemed like it fully enveloped him immediately,” Mayo said. “That’s kind of remarkable and so we can only imagine the whale was probably feeding.”

Mayo added he believed it was a young whale. “I like to think of it as a teenager or a puppy. … It probably doesn’t know what it’s doing too well,” he said"

Read More: Humpback Whale shallows Lobster Diver

proxy.php
"Mr, Packard...get whale soon". CBJ

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Crazy story. I saw this the other day. The guys expression is priceless. I can’t imagine what the whale is saying now. Yuck.

Top Bottom