What's new

Healthcare environment shaving needs

I work in a healthcare environment and many of our male patients are with us for a while and as a result, need a good shave. I'd like to buy a razor (preferably inexpensive) and blades that I can use on them. It would have to be mild as some are on blood thinners and any cuts or nicks could be a problem. Also in order to use the razor on multiple patients it would need to be sanitize due to infection control. Any suggestions regarding razors, blades and disinfecting?

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
The only type of razors I've ever seen used in hospitals are disposable, both double edge and single edge cart types. I doubt they've reused razors on patients for about 40 years or more. Doesn't the hospital or "healthcare environment " provide these for you?

The only type of razors I've ever seen used in hospitals are disposable, both double edge and single edge cart types. I doubt they've reused razors on patients for about 40 years or more. Doesn't the hospital or "healthcare environment " provide these for you?

+1! Getting a good shave first thing in the AM always makes me feel better! So, this would be a great service to your patients IMO!

The problem is that cleaning razors between patients is problematic. Disposables are the obvious solution.

I suggest concentrating on getting a good prep and lather for your patients as infection control should trump most other considerations in the hospital environment.

Yes they do, however as you know I may as well use a broken bottle as opposed to a disposable. Obviously, I would not reuse a blade(!). So sanitizing the safety razor is key, bleach I believe would be too harsh for most razors

+1! Getting a good shave first thing in the AM always makes me feel better! So, this would be a great service to your patients IMO!

The problem is that cleaning razors between patients is problematic. Disposables are the obvious solution.

I suggest concentrating on getting a good prep and lather for your patients as infection control should trump most other considerations in the hospital environment.
I am happy to use a new blade on each patient, it's the safe cleaning of the razor that is more my concern

Yes they do, however as you know I may as well use a broken bottle as opposed to a disposable. Obviously, I would not reuse a blade(!). So sanitizing the safety razor is key, bleach I believe would be too harsh for most razors

You could try the Gillette Treo - it is specifically designed for caregivers or for anyone who has to shave someone else.

I appreciate the suggestion, however, we have multiple patients and this may not fit the budget

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
The keyword is “prep razor''.
The blade and the razor are a single-use one, and cannot be disassembled and replaced to ensure adequate hygiene and avoid any blood infection.

Only in this way can it meet medical regulations and needs. Prep razor is usually sold in bulk and very cheap.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Where are these available from?
I bought mine off ebay. Usually from a supplier in India, where they are (were?) primarily marketed. The handle is reusable. A single edge cart snaps on. A decent blade gap. They were designed for the India market where the majority of people still use double edge blades. Gillette made the Guard to market to the poor DE users that don’t have readily available water. So it designed to be easily rinsed in a cup of water, or to be used with no water at all.

When I was shaving I got my best shaves with Barbasol and a Gillette Guard.

You didn't mention what type of healthcare environment, but in the US in a hospital setting you won't be able (officially) to use anything but a disposable. Anything that contacts a patient in or out will need to be sterilized (or single use) prior to using on another patient, not disinfected, at least on the inpatient side, and sterilizing a razor is likely not practical for most facilities, at least through central sterile processing. In a nursing home or LTC setting, slightly more lax on the use of personal care equipment, but a razor handle (with the exception of straights) would at least need to be disinfected with an approved sanitizer, depending on the local public health and facility regulations. Barbicide is accepted by many states for disinfecting personal grooming instruments, although some might require Barbicide TB or an equivalent - and approved by the healthcare facility. Any DE capable of being sanitized would work, and there are a number of mild razors suggested. You would also need the approval of facility administration and Chief of Service or Nursing to protect not only the patients but yourself. A great idea and a wonderful service, but I would be sure to dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's" before you proceed - and I emphasize that my recommendations are for US healthcare facilities only, but may be applicable elsewhere. And recommendations are as a former Chief of Surgery in a fairly sizeable healthcare network.

Last edited:
I'm no expert and don't take my word over your local jurisdiction, but steam sterilization is easily doable for DEs. If allowed, you should look for brass/copper/aluminum/titanium due to superior corrosion resistance (and as for copper: antimicrobial), other forum members know specific models. As for lubrication, there have been several discussions about shaving brushes and maintenance, my stance being against brushes. Good options are gel (canned or not doesn't matter) and cream (both 'normal' and 'brushless').
If you shave the body of your patients (face excluded), the blades won't matter.

As an addendum, If you're considering multi-use razors and steam sterilization, almost all US inpatient and most outpatient/ambulatory care facilities are required to meet JCAHO and CDC guidelines for sterilization. The attachment is a copy of AST (Association of Surgical Technologists) standards, which is typical, and will be incorporated into your facility's operating instructions and bylaws. This is usually managed by nursing services. Significantly for some razors, metals may not be mixed on sterilization trays - brass, copper, aluminum or other must be sterilized separately, and are subject to much faster corrosion and degradation under high heat sterilization than stainless steel. And any instrument with signs of corrosion or rust must be discarded and cannot be resterilized, representative of just some of the issues with central sterilization. Sterilized packs must also be properly stored under controlled temperature and humidity, and monitored and routinely inspected for package integrity and/or expiration date, whether a razor or a cardiothoracic surgery pack. Central sterile supply will treat these the same as far as sterilization. Not meant to be discouraging, but just outlining some of the issues with not using a disposable, and certainly your facility Chief of Staff and nursing management can provide assistance. Good luck!

Attachments

• Standard_Decontamination_ Surgical_Instruments_-1.pdf
    149.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I am happy to use a new blade on each patient, it's the safe cleaning of the razor that is more my concern

I suspect anything short of sending it through an autoclave between each use would be a no go, although truthfully, I doubt a hospital would let even that happen outside of an OR setting. Modern ORs minimize use of sharp blades of any sort (e.g. scalpels) as much as possible -- there are much more controlled methods available that help surgeons maintain hemostasis throughout a procedure. If they accidentally nick an artery (anything that has a name really) it's potentially a big deal, or at the very least, non-trivial to deal with.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I can pretty much guarantee you have to use a disposable.

I worked for years in Long Term Care Facilities and Rehab Facilities. "Residents" (patients) could keep a disposable razor is their bathroom cupboards for more than one use, back in the day, but most used electric razors.

I'd bet that today it is one use and toss it though, and I'm sure it is that way in the hospital setting.

The liability of having razors accessible trumps any ecological concerns.

First check if the law and/or regulations ALLOW the use of non disposable razors.
I highly doubt it.
Secondly the chances of cutting someone else when shaving him with a DE are way higher than with a disposable.

Top Bottom