What's new

Headshavers - How do you shave around the ears?

I've been DE shaving for only about 3 months now and loving it! One problem I'm having however is how to shave around / up / over / behind the ears. In particular I'm having issues with the top edge where the ear meets the head.

When I was using cartridge razors it was easy to just loop in a hook pattern up and over then touch up with the backblade. I feel if I did this with a DE razor I'd slice myself pretty bad.

What I'm doing currently is straight pulls outward from all angles. Then for the top where the ear meets the head is to work the corner of the razor in the best I can.

So what do you fellow head shavers do?

I grab my ear to move it out of the way with my off-hand and then go front to back following the hairline --> so 90 degrees to the sideburn and then behind the ear angleing down to the neckline.

Sideburns are shaved regular WTG/XTG/ATG.

Finally the last stragglers where the ear meets the head: Pull ear a bit down and then go ATG. For this I use the close up shaving mirror. This is just detailing so 1-2 very short strokes.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I grab my ear to move it out of the way with my off-hand and then go front to back following the hairline --> so 90 degrees to the sideburn and then behind the ear angleing down to the neckline.

Sideburns are shaved regular WTG/XTG/ATG.

Finally the last stragglers where the ear meets the head: Pull ear a bit down and then go ATG. For this I use the close up shaving mirror. This is just detailing so 1-2 very short strokes.
I pretty much do the same, Hannes. :thumbsup:

Grab the ear, pull it down, follow the curve from the face side of the earlobe all the way around and down the neck. Go slow and don't stop. You'll be fine. You didn't mention the razor you're using. I've done this technique with many different razors up to an R41 with no blood. I have landed on a Razorock GC SB .84 for my head and never had an issue with that razor either.

ralph029 - Good point, I did not say which razor, that would have been helpful for sure. Today I used a Murker Progress with an Astra superior platinum blade. On pass 1 I set to 3 and get reasonably close. On pass 2 or 3 if I do 3 passes I use 1 and try my best especially at the ear/head junction. I also use a 1940's Gillette tech razor also with an Astra superior platinum. The Gillette is pretty mild.

Since I'm new, I got a 30 variety pack of 2 each blades so I run both with the same blade.

Thank you guys for your input, much appreciated 🙂

ralph029 - Good point, I did not say which razor, that would have been helpful for sure. Today I used a Murker Progress with an Astra superior platinum blade. On pass 1 I set to 3 and get reasonably close. On pass 2 or 3 if I do 3 passes I use 1 and try my best especially at the ear/head junction. I also use a 1940's Gillette tech razor also with an Astra superior platinum. The Gillette is pretty mild.

Since I'm new, I got a 30 variety pack of 2 each blades so I run both with the same blade.

Thank you guys for your input, much appreciated 🙂
I sometimes use a DE but 99% I use my Razorock Eco that takes a half blade.

CFA65135-6C2D-48B3-9262-E54C752A60A6.jpeg

I've never used a DE for my head shaves. I use a RR Eco or Blackland Vector, and getting around my ears is a breeze...

...of course that is of little help to the OP, sorry. 🙂
I don't think it's no help to the OP, that's two votes for the Eco. Maybe that's the way to go? I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've been DE shaving for only about 3 months now and loving it! One problem I'm having however is how to shave around / up / over / behind the ears. In particular I'm having issues with the top edge where the ear meets the head.

First, welcome to B&B! Glad to make your acquaintance.

When it's time to shave around my ears, I fold the ear toward my face and hold it with one or two fingers of the "opposite hand." That is to say, if I'm shaving behind my right ear I'll fold it and hold it with my left hand, while wielding the razor in my right hand. I'm moderately ambidextrous so shave with both hands.

General technique at the moment is to paint some lather behind the ear, from up above the ear to below the ear. Then to very gently go ATG up that area. I can get right up to where the ear attaches. Then I very gently shave over the top of the ear, and since that's kind of XTG anyway I'll finish off the area above my ears up onto my scalp XTG. Then paint some lather over the temples and go ATG there, after which I'll shave my cheeks and clean up.

I do that pretty much with any razor: DE, SE, devette, shavette. Assuming you're using a DE, one thing to watch is whether you razor covers the blade tabs. Having covered tabs while you're learning this is nice because you won't gash yourself up with the corner of a tab while you're paying attention to where the edge is.

As always, be careful and take it slow while you're picking up the tricks. Good luck!

O.H.

I do pretty much what @Old Hippie does except I keep the razor in my right hand and use the left hand for both ears.

I use a Blackland Vector razor with Feather AC Proguard blades to prevent any mishaps. I never do this while I am rushed and the "around the ear" routine is the last thing I do. Sunday night is my favorite time to shave my head.

Yeah, when I was using the fusion cartridges I did the around the ear thing but carefully. There's no way I'd do this with a DE. I'm sure there's someone who can. Now I gotta look on YouTube 😅

Top Bottom