What's new

Heads without this annoying feature?

On both the classicshaving vintage DE and Merkur 15C, the blade sticks out on the sides. Besides the Futur and Vision, are there any Merkur razors that completely encase the blade, leaving only the cutting edges exposed? Any Muhle heads fit the bill?

That is common to most DE razors. In fact every DE I ever owned and used has that same thing, even all the vintage razors have that too. It's actually needed that those edges stick out, so that you can more easily install, seat, and remove the blade without touching the cutting edges.

Some designs cover more than others. Off the top of my head, Probak and Stahly do a good job for vintage and Jagger/Mühle for modern.

In practice handling the blade is not a problem. One approach is to extend the cap and leave the guard plate alone. Another is to extend both to with a pretty close tolerance of the blade ears.

The Pils, feather, my Muhle 89 exposes a fractional micro amount on each side. Im not sure about my progress razor, I will check for ya.

All the Ikons cover the blade.

I recently introduced a colleague to DE shaving by loaning him a Gillette tech. Some how he managed to cut both sides of his nose with the protruding ends.

Both the Feather models AS-D1 and AS-D2 cover the ends.

attachment.php

My Muhle R41 has the whole blade covered, which looks nice. But my Merkur 38c, of course, shows blade sticking out the ends. I've never been too concerned with blades sticking out the end of a razor. My Gillette slim, the whole blade is encased except for the edges.

All the Ikons cover the blade.

I recently introduced a colleague to DE shaving by loaning him a Gillette tech. Some how he managed to cut both sides of his nose with the protruding ends.

Wow I have a bunch of TECHs and I think the only way I could cut myself with one is if I slid it sideways. How did he cut the sides of his nose? I push the cap up under my nostrils then shave downward. Sounds like a technique error more than a problem with the sides of the blades.

I've never even thought twice about the sides of the blades sticking out past the side of the razors. I actually find it a convenient way to get a hold of the blade when it needs changing. If anything it could possible be considered a visual problem but as far as functional it's not like the sides could ever come into contact with your face.

Technique problem? Sure. But pretty common, and I do it to myself once in a while. Sometimes I blame it on the way the blade was loaded, but the real problem it is selective attention to the sharp edge while ignoring the rest of the blade. The rest of the metal might be relatively dull, but it is sharp enough to draw blood... usually from skin that does not even need shaving.

I've nicked myself, once enough to where I bled, with the exposed blade tabs. It's something I've simply gotten used to watching - the only time it actually matters is shaving sideways right under my nose. It would be nice if my razors did cover the ends/extend to where the tabs didn't stick out any more, but oh well . . .

I started out learning to live with it. Then I switched to a iKon and don't understand why all razors are not designed that way.

This said, my go-to is now a Joris, and I'm learning to live with it again.

With tremors, as a beginner, any extra ways to cut myself were not appreciated. Again, I've learned to live with it.

Wow I have a bunch of TECHs and I think the only way I could cut myself with one is if I slid it sideways. How did he cut the sides of his nose? I push the cap up under my nostrils then shave downward. Sounds like a technique error more than a problem with the sides of the blades.

I've never even thought twice about the sides of the blades sticking out past the side of the razors. I actually find it a convenient way to get a hold of the blade when it needs changing. If anything it could possible be considered a visual problem but as far as functional it's not like the sides could ever come into contact with your face.

I agree, it must have been down to technique. I can't even imagine what angle he was using to cut his nose on each side.

I forgot - my Gem 1912 Junior (single edge) covers the ends very nicely, and as a bonus loads and unloads even faster than a TTO. One of my regular shavers - you do need to get used to the angle and very minimal pressure, but a great razor. Also cheap, and with an ornate handle really cool looking as well. Under the nose is tricky at first.

Top Bottom