What's new

Heads without this annoying feature?

On both the classicshaving vintage DE and Merkur 15C, the blade sticks out on the sides. Besides the Futur and Vision, are there any Merkur razors that completely encase the blade, leaving only the cutting edges exposed? Any Muhle heads fit the bill?

While I can't tell you which Merkurs do, I just checked and neither my 38C or 1904 cover the blade tabs entirely.

Wish I could be more help.

Cheers,

Rick

IKon shavecraft 101 at sixty bucks is a nice smooth razor that covers the tabs completely.

Tradere is much more expensive, but it actually encases the blade completely.

I tried the Merkur 15C open comb today for the first time. I was so impressed that I think I can live with the tabs sticking out on the sides.

So the question now would be, are there any open combs that have the blade edges hugging the teeth like they do on the Merkur, but have the tabs covered? :biggrin:

Anyone who cuts themselves with the side of the razor should avoid Lawn Darts and walking near quite ponds in the sub tropical regions of our country.

So I just shaved with my Gillette Nacet OC Tech with Personna Labs in it. I noticed huh the sides of the razor do stick out close to 1/16".

It may sound crazy but I decided to TRY and cut myself with the side of the blade while shaving.

Since it was mentioned that people have cut their nose with the sides of the razor, I figured maybe I haven't because I never shave sideways on my upper lip so I gave it a shot. The blade never touched my nose but I could see it hitting someones nose if they were shaving sideways and not paying attention.

I was curious on how sharp the side of the blade just was so I lightly ran my finger over it and then firmly ran my finger over it but it didn't even mark my finger. I have pretty thick skin on my hands from carpentry though so I decided "what the heck" and put the razors side up to my cheek and light ran it sideways, then I actually put pressure against my cheek and still couldn't cut myself.

I know if I did either of those with the sharp edge I would be cut in a second. So I figure people must be cut by the edge because of one of two thing. Either some blades have sharper edges than the Personna does or some people have much softer skin on their faces than other do. I think skin type might account for many problems people run into with cuts or rough shaves and why some people can apply pressure to the razor heads while can only use the weight of the razor itself?

Anyone who cuts themselves with the side of the razor should avoid Lawn Darts and walking near quite ponds in the sub tropical regions of our country.

That would be me - I did nick my nose once on an exposed tab. I shall henceforth avoid Lawn Darts and subtropical ponds. OK, I actually plan to avoid neither, but I am more careful around the exposed tabs since then!

Completely?? :001_tt2: No wonder the blades last forever.

:laugh:

My wife would love to embrace double-edge razor shaving only the blade tabs sticking out the sides of all my razors are uncomfortable on under arms.

I was curious on how sharp the side of the blade just was so I lightly ran my finger over it and then firmly ran my finger over it but it didn't even mark my finger. I have pretty thick skin on my hands from carpentry though so I decided "what the heck" and put the razors side up to my cheek and light ran it sideways, then I actually put pressure against my cheek and still couldn't cut myself.
It never happened to me but I guess that not the edges but rather the corners could draw blood (only with the "right" technique of course).

$62802011.jpg

It never happened to me but I guess that not the edges but rather the corners could draw blood (only with the "right" technique of course).

View attachment 398688

Wow I could totally see that blade side cutting you! What blade is that anyway? I checked my blades and all of my Gillettes, Personna & Feather blades are rounded off where your arrows are. That blade looks like it should have been rounded off but had production problems?

Wow I could totally see that blade side cutting you! What blade is that anyway? I checked my blades and all of my Gillettes, Personna & Feather blades are rounded off where your arrows are. That blade looks like it should have been rounded off but had production problems?

My Polsilver SI's are like that. The corners of those tabs are deadly. Albeit I usually don't notice them while shaving. But still, not the best design for a blade that will have that tab exposed.

This one here is an Astra SS, and the Astra SP is just the same. Also the Gillette Stainless, the Silver Blue, the Gillette Platinum and the Permasharp Super are like this. I think most if not all blades produced by PPI are like this. But, to be fair, also the black 7'o clock from India, the green 7'o clock (India), the Derby Extra, the Israeli Personna, the Vietnamese Dorco and all my Moskow blades (Sputnik, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod and Ladas) are like this. It is always only one of the narrow sides with those hooks on the corners, and sometimes it is only one corner with a hook. It depends all on how precisely the cut is made which separates the individual blades from the band.

There are other blade brands in my stash I have not looked at, but the only absolutely hook-free ones I could find so far are the Feather blades. However, the hooks don't disturb me at all, but I imagine that ripping a nostril is possible.

Last edited:
This one here is an Astra SS, and the Astra SP is just the same. Also the Gillette Stainless, the Silver Blue, the Gillette Platinum and the Permasharp Super are like this. I think most if not all blades produced by PPI are like this. But, to be fair, also the black 7'o clock from India, the green 7'o clock (India), the Derby Extra, the Israeli Personna, the Vietnamese Dorco and all my Moskow blades (Sputnik, Rapira Platinum Lux, Voskhod and Ladas) are like this. It is always only one of the narrow sides with those hooks on the corners, and sometimes it is only one corner with a hook. It depends all on how precisely the cut is made which separates the individual blades from the band.

There are other blade brands in my stash I have not looked at, but the only absolutely hook-free ones I could find so far are the Feather blades. However, the hooks don't disturb me at all, but I imagine that ripping a nostril is possible.

That's odd that your Astra SP, Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Blacks & Derby have those hooks. I checked both sides of a few of each and none of mine have them. It might be specific to production runs. The machine that cuts in between the blades might slowly get off center over time and they realign it every now and then?

My Muhle R41 has the whole blade covered, which looks nice. But my Merkur 38c, of course, shows blade sticking out the ends. I've never been too concerned with blades sticking out the end of a razor. My Gillette slim, the whole blade is encased except for the edges.

It does? Mine does not. BTW: The "Muhle R38" in the picture is an R89.. got it confused with my Merkur, and the first one is the 2011 R41.

$bladeendsSM.jpg

That's odd that your Astra SP, Silver Blue, 7 O'Clock Blacks & Derby have those hooks. I checked both sides of a few of each and none of mine have them. It might be specific to production runs. The machine that cuts in between the blades might slowly get off center over time and they realign it every now and then?

Keep in mind that in most cases those hooks are almost not visible to the naked eye, and by running a finger along the narrow side one does not feel the hook. You only feel the hook when running the finger against he corner. In the picture above, for the left hook this would be moving the finger from the lower left towards upper right.

I don't know how those machines determine where to make the cut and if these hooks are a mere side-effect of adjusting / maintenance intervals. I suppose that Feather blades which really feel smooth at the corners were not more precisely cut but had those hooks filed or sanded off.

Keep in mind that in most cases those hooks are almost not visible to the naked eye, and by running a finger along the narrow side one does not feel the hook. You only feel the hook when running the finger against he corner. In the picture above, for the left hook this would be moving the finger from the lower left towards upper right.

I don't know how those machines determine where to make the cut and if these hooks are a mere side-effect of adjusting / maintenance intervals. I suppose that Feather blades which really feel smooth at the corners were not more precisely cut but had those hooks filed or sanded off.

You were correct! I took a closer look to each of my blades and they all had those small "hooks" except the Feather.
They are pretty tiny and none were sharp enough to cut me on the blades I looked at, though the one you showed might do the job!

$BladeHook1.jpg $BladeHook2.jpg
$BladeHook3.jpg $BladeHook4.jpg

Top Bottom