What's new

Heading to St. Louis next week....

for a conference. I will be staying downtown, never been to STL before, at the Omni. Just wondering if there are any shaving related stores or places I should check out while I am around. I will arrive on Monday and head out on Friday morning. I will not have a vehicle so preferrable walking distance unless there is some place I MUST check out.

I grew up in St. Louis and I regret to inform you there really isn't anywhere of note to check out. There are the usual retail outlets, but those are pretty much ubiquitous

Don't try walking anywhere downtown after dark. In fact you might consider avoiding the area entirely if possible.

There is this big arch thingy by the river. I left from CT at 3am one summer morning in 2010 and crossed the river at 9:30pm. I wasn't going to stop, but since I was there and traffic was light, we pulled off the highway and found parking at the Marketplace. We thought it was closed since it was dark, but they invited us in and said we could still get tickets on the last tram up. Spectacular! You might check it out!

yeah that is about all I have been able to find with searching the interwebs. Never been to St. Louis, never heard anything about it being that bad from the people that have been before.

yeah that is about all I have been able to find with searching the interwebs. Never been to St. Louis, never heard anything about it being that bad from the people that have been before.

It's not THAT bad. You wouldn't want to wander around downtown detroit or NYC at night if you weren't from there either. The Arch is kinda cool. When I used to live there you'd hear on the news from time to time about people getting stuck in the elevator.

As far as shaving related, there isn't much.

Pappy's Barbecue is on Lindell Blvd about 2 miles from downtown. It's well worth the cab ride there

Across the street and a few blocks down is a pizza place called "The Good Pie" which is fantastic. And of course, Imo's pizza is a St. Louis staple thats worth trying

Unrelated to shaving, I have had enjoyable evenings on Delmar in the loop area. You might be able to get there by metrolink or taxi.

Unrelated to shaving, I have had enjoyable evenings on Delmar in the loop area. You might be able to get there by metrolink or taxi.

The Metrolink does run from downtown to Delmar. The Central West End is another nice area with good restaurants and night life.

P

pdillon

You're staying in a location where the are quite a few things you can do on foot. I would generally avoid metrolink after dark. Yes, downtown is a little sketchy, but I've walked around there after dark plenty. Just stick to the main roads and you'll be fine.

There are a few great restaurants really close to your hotel (within 4 blocks). Rooster is an awesome breakfast/brunch place. If you like a big hearty breakfast, try the Rooster Slinger. The same people own an awesome gastropub just a block away called The Bridge; good food and about 20 beers on tap. If you don't like beer, plenty of wine too. If you like thai food, Senn Thai is very good.

Like someone else said, you're near Washington AVE, which is kind of St Louis's downtown strip for nightlife. That's not really my scene, although there's a REALLY good tea room there called the London Tea Room.

But right off of Wash AVE is The City Museum, which is absolutely incredible. It's kind of beyond description, very unique. Don't think of it as a museum, more of a four-story jungle gym/architectural marvel. Not sure how old you are. During the day it is filled with kids, but I'm 28 and think it is interesting for all ages. You can go and be very active: climb around, there's an 8 story slide.. or just have a drink at the bar and check out the interesting stuff. It is open late.

As far as shaving, I don't think there's much downtown. There's a barber supply store I'd like to check out, but you'd definitely need a car.

As pdillon said the City Museum is awesome, but may be a better family visit. Fitz's on Delmar plus all the other places in that area. Forest Park is awesome too. Marketplace is very touristy.

Where is this barber supply store you speak of? I'd love to check it out too. A name will suffice google will do the rest :wink2:

You're staying in a location where the are quite a few things you can do on foot. I would generally avoid metrolink after dark. Yes, downtown is a little sketchy, but I've walked around there after dark plenty. Just stick to the main roads and you'll be fine.

There are a few great restaurants really close to your hotel (within 4 blocks). Rooster is an awesome breakfast/brunch place. If you like a big hearty breakfast, try the Rooster Slinger. The same people own an awesome gastropub just a block away called The Bridge; good food and about 20 beers on tap. If you don't like beer, plenty of wine too. If you like thai food, Senn Thai is very good.

Like someone else said, you're near Washington AVE, which is kind of St Louis's downtown strip for nightlife. That's not really my scene, although there's a REALLY good tea room there called the London Tea Room.

But right off of Wash AVE is The City Museum, which is absolutely incredible. It's kind of beyond description, very unique. Don't think of it as a museum, more of a four-story jungle gym/architectural marvel. Not sure how old you are. During the day it is filled with kids, but I'm 28 and think it is interesting for all ages. You can go and be very active: climb around, there's an 8 story slide.. or just have a drink at the bar and check out the interesting stuff. It is open late.

As far as shaving, I don't think there's much downtown. There's a barber supply store I'd like to check out, but you'd definitely need a car.

P

pdillon

It's called Purtle. It's on Gravois in South City.
http://www.purtlesupply.com/

Like I said, I want to check it out; so I definitely can't vouch for it. There was a thread a while ago about a barber supply store in Atlanta, so I got the idea to just Google "Saint Louis Barber Supply" and this place popped up. It says they offer a lot more than what's listed on the website, but if you're considering going down there you might want to give them a quick call and make sure they're open to the public.

If you do go, let us know what you find.

The Omni is a sweet hotel. Stayed there once on the way back from a vacation once. If you can get there, the Anheuser-Busch tour is worth doing.

Yeah basically, having a big national convention, so we will be in big groups anyways so hopefully nothing will happen. I know some of the guys that went the last time it was there about 5-6 years ago have some stuff planned visiting some micro brewerys and I'm sure the AB Factory. I'd really like to get a taste of some good old Amberbock off the line. Good advice I'll put these places in to my phone and save them. I don't really attend a whole bunch of meetings when I'm there.

Top Bottom