What's new

Heading to Fairbanks

these two came up
7C7B0807-AE8B-46DC-B1A7-A9414A810566.png

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Will you be able to see the Northern Lights? That is one of the things that I want to do one day.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Drive North Owen. Pretty much any state bordering on Canada has spots where you can see them. I've heard that there will be an increase in Northern Lights over the next few years.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Drive North Owen. Pretty much any state bordering on Canada has spots where you can see them. I've heard that there will be an increase in Northern Lights over the next few years.
I am in Texas, so it’s a bit of a drive. :)

If this interests you:
Mary Shields was the first woman to complete the Iditarod.
For some very reasonable fee, you can visit her in her home along with some of her dogs and she'll teach you about dog sledding and some of her interesting history (and probably she'll bake a cake to serve too!).

I was a very pleasant and unique way to spend part of a day. She's a rather impressive lady!
I'm not sure if she's open in the winter though.

No comment on where to smoke aside from outside...but get outside and look up. I spent 3 years in Anchorage and saw the lights quite often. In Fairbanks, they're 'on' every night. You'll see it if you're outside of the city lights....which is really easy. There's a website that tracks solar activity. Look up the various aurora tracker websites and you'll get a good idea of when you'll see the lights.

Also, it's REALLY cold up there. When it's -20F, realize that you can get contact frostbite just from touching metal bits with bare skin. Wear synthetic or wool gloves. Good news, it's rarely windy, so good thermals and skin covering gear will keep you safe. We had guys out in the woods for arctic survival school in -30 to -40 F weather with little more than good ski gear. We spend 2 nights in the woods, no fire at night. The sleeping bags are rated to -60F (alive, not comfortable) and we sleep on the ground. It's cold, and the cold demands respect. However, you can spend the day hiking the winter trails with the right gear.

Oh, on photography...a DSLR, tripod, wide lens and remote shutter control will get 'er done for the aurora. Cell phones will capture the idea of what you saw, but you need longer and steady exposures to really capture things. Don't forget to not look through the camera. Pictures will capture memories, but there's nothing like seeing the lights dance with your naked eye.

Plus, light up in the woods. You won't be alone. ...and don't screw with momma moose

Top Bottom